Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa Lens Decision  (Read 1355 times)

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
Alpa Lens Decision
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:34:05 am »

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 47mm digitar at a good price second hand but am tossing up whether or not to pay quite a bit extra and go for the 50mm HR new?

It will be used with the P65+ back and always with quite a bit of rise (say 10-12mm). Both lenses cover this, I just wonder if there is much difference in performance off axis?

Also, it would be useful to have f/stops 5.6 and 8  useable in certain situations. I only ever shoot the digitars at f/11, but have heard that the HRs are better at wider apetures than the digitars? Can anyone back this up with experience?

Cheers

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

archivue

Alpa Lens Decision
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 05:43:15 am »

I have the opportunity to purchase a 47mm digitar at a good price second hand but am tossing up whether or not to pay quite a bit extra and go for the 50mm HR new?

if the price is that good, you can buy the 47 to start, and if you are not happy with it, then you can resell it without loosing any money !

It will be used with the P65+ back and always with quite a bit of rise (say 10-12mm). Both lenses cover this, I just wonder if there is much difference in performance off axis?

"Also, it would be useful to have f/stops 5.6 and 8  useable in certain situations. I only ever shoot the digitars at f/11, but have heard that the HRs are better at wider apetures than the digitars?

all users of the 40 digaron W have experience it... Digitar 47 and apo sironar digital 45 require to be stop down, while the new lenses are also good wide open.

you must know that a new super digitar 43 is coming soon !
if 5.6 is your goal, i will go with the 50 HR
if size, price and F8 F11 is your goal then the 47 makes sense
if maximum stitching is your goal, i will wait for the Super 43

lenses are just compromises... i miss my 110 XL with 4x5 that was just superior in every aspect to the other lenses...
Pages: [1]   Go Up