Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC running mac OS  (Read 12050 times)

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
PC running mac OS
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 06:33:32 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
My opinion comes from direct experience and from that of colleagues and friends with direct experience.

An Apple IIe is hardly experience with Apple and the Mac operating system

Jonathan and Joh readily debunk your assertions, too, which supports my opinion.

If you read their responses they actually agreed with me.
Gerald J Skrocki

Farmer

PC running mac OS
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
An Apple IIe is hardly experience with Apple and the Mac operating system

Apple IIe was my *first* Apple computer, Jerry.  I don't consider myself a Mac Guy, but I use them nearly every day at work and I have owned and used others over the years.  I've recommended Macs to people and no doubt will do so in the future where I consider it the right choice.

Their responses don't agree with you.  They point out two PC vendors rated as having more reliable hardware, for example.  No one, including me, claimed that Macs were poor hardware, just that the claim that it's better than any PC is quite simply wrong.  They also went on to mention problems with the OS.

Apple's support is good.  I don't know if it's the same over there as here, but here you pay for it (as you do with some of the other PC vendors, too), so I would expect it to be good.

I also went on to say that a Mac would be a good choice, but your original comments perpetuated a myth that Apple's hardware is better than PCs.

You're looking for an argument where none exists, Jerry, just because I corrected the misrepresentation that Apple hardware is superior to PC and that it was a "choice" where no such choice existed due to Apple's restrictions.  That claim is too general and too sweeping and like most such broad comments is wrong.  You can easily promote the virtues of the Mac without resorting to inaccurate statements.

Enjoy :-)
Phil Brown

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
PC running mac OS
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 07:39:02 pm »

Firstly, that's rubbish that Apples are built to a higher standard than typical PCs.  Typical from whom?  HP, Dell, Asus, Acer, Alienware, custom built?  Apples are no better or worse than average, just sometimes more expensive although usually in a similiar ball park with the better PC brands.  Accessories, though, are expensive by comparison.

I see you have added a lot to to the topic. If you do not own an Apple computer then your opinion is rubbish.  My opinion is based on 16 years experience with building and operating PC's as well as 4 years experience with the iMac, MacPro and Macbook Pro.
As a Mac owner and user I'd agree entirely with the post you so rudely dismissed. High end PCs and Apple stuff is little different.  My MP spent a lot of time going back and forth to the Apple store, sometimes the problems were caused by the staff and my 8 month old MBP now won't work wirelessly. And same goes for other Apple users I know.
Apple stuff is also subject to recalls just like Sonys, Dells etc as the bits inside an Apple and it's fancy packaging are usually nothing special and if we are talking graphics cards, then also usually a few years old.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:46:42 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

PC running mac OS
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 07:43:01 pm »

What you CAN do is buy a Mac and run Windows OS on it, not an emulation but a full bootable version.
But do not expect it to work flawlessly as Apple have been quite slack with their Bootcamp drivers and certainly do not think that using Parallels or VMWare Fusion is seamless integration either.
The Windows experience on a Mac is definitely inferior to using a real PC. Just like using a Hackintosh is not the same as a Mac

jjj

PC running mac OS
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 07:46:01 pm »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
I'll readily agree that Apple's build quality generally is better than the majority of PC's, the selected parts and performance performance certainly is not:
The majority of PCs are also an awful lot cheaper though and can be afforded by ordinary people. Apple have a much larger market share in rich countries.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
PC running mac OS
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 08:00:39 pm »

Not if you actually read what I wrote. Apple makes good hardware and a good OS, and does a good job of integrating them. But that doesn't mean that they are categorically superior to the PC universe in either hardware or software reliability. You can buy hardware from vendors with better reliability ratings than Apple and still get more performance for your dollar. The fact that there is poorly-made junk in the PC universe doesn't mean that all PC hardware is poorly-made crap, nor does it mean that Apple always offers better value for its products.

The reason really doesn't matter, it's best in this category.

This is pure fanboyism here. That's kind of like saying that Mafia "protection" is best, even though the only reason its "best" is that if you hire anyone else, someone will visit you at 3AM and drill out your kneecaps with an ice auger sans anesthesia...

jjj

PC running mac OS
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 09:10:45 pm »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
Not if you actually read what I wrote. Apple makes good hardware and a good OS, and does a good job of integrating them. But that doesn't mean that they are categorically superior to the PC universe in either hardware or software reliability. You can buy hardware from vendors with better reliability ratings than Apple and still get more performance for your dollar. The fact that there is poorly-made junk in the PC universe doesn't mean that all PC hardware is poorly-made crap, nor does it mean that Apple always offers better value for its products.
Nooooo, don't use reason with fanbois, it never works!

This is pure fanboyism here. That's kind of like saying that Mafia "protection" is best, even though the only reason its "best" is that if you hire anyone else, someone will visit you at 3AM and drill out your kneecaps with an ice auger sans anesthesia...

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
PC running mac OS
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 01:26:36 pm »

It is very obvious here that that the FANBOYS here favor the PC and are full of MAC ENVY.
Gerald J Skrocki

marcmccalmont

PC running mac OS
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »

I have some recent experience with the iMAC 27 i7 and a Dell studio 17 i7. The iMAC was the best hardware platform in a high end "all in one" computer for my needs, The Dell studio 17 was the best hardware platform at a reasonable price for my needs. The Dell has W7 on it the iMAC OSX. I tried running windows 7 with VM fusion and had several crashes with OSX and DxO etc. I then installed W7 as the boot OS using bootcamp 3.1 (took me 3 days to figure this one out with the "black screen" bug) I'm a windows guy and love Windows 7(went from XP Pro to W7 skipped Vista), OSX was OK but crashed several times and I felt awkward learning it. W7 in my application is more stable than OSX. I'm happy with a windows 7 iMAC and a windows 7 laptop no file transfer issues, no crashes, easy for me to use, no software costs.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Farmer

PC running mac OS
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 02:54:41 pm »

It is very obvious here that that the FANBOYS here favor the PC and are full of MAC ENVY.

At least you make people laugh, Jerry :-)
Phil Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
PC running mac OS
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 04:20:47 pm »

Quote from: BobShram
... if you built a PC and ran a mac OS on it ...
You would get a Ferrari engine in a Kia chassis?

BobShram

PC running mac OS
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 04:48:52 pm »

[quote
You would get a Ferrari engine in a Kia chassis?
[/quote]

Yep them Italian cars are real high maintenance, always need adjusting to keep them running and that don't come cheap, still they make good show cars and get you looking, not much good for shopping though.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
PC running mac OS
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

If you consider a FANBOY someone who:

1) Understands and appreciates the facts.
2) Is not willing to accept vague blanket statements about anything
3) Happy to point out issues using specific and verifiable information
4) Someone who currently owns more than one example of each platform

Well, YES!  I guess I am.....

jjj

PC running mac OS
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 01:22:49 am »

I think you find those arguing against you happen to use Macs as well as PCs. All my posts were sent from one of my macs.

Theresa

PC running mac OS
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 07:59:46 am »

Michael,

I was responding to the OP's question, by pointing out that Apple built computers can run both operating systems. There is no "virtualization" required in fact you don't even need the Mac OS to install and run Windows on an Apple machine. They are built to a higher standard than the typical PC available on the market. If the goal is the ability to run both Mac and Windows software on one machine, than the Mac is the computer of choice.

First of all in my honest opinion the mac is not built to a higher standard than pcs unless you are speaking of comparing a $2000 imac with an $800 pc.  Macs have small hds, previous generation processors (unless you spend over $2000), little memory, previous generation video, and many other corners they have cut.  What makes the mac desirable, IMHO, is OSX.  It really is better, not much, but better.  I say this as a former mac user and heretic.  The design of the case is also pretty.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up