Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3800 Crashes Display Driver...  (Read 9560 times)

duranash

3800 Crashes Display Driver...
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:56:53 pm »

...when using "Print Preview"  Just got a new computer running Win 7, 64bit.  Loaded the latest W7 64b driver from Epson, and when I print using the preview option, the display crashes (goes blank).  Sometimes Windows restores the driver, sometimes not.  Epson's "solution" is to not use Print Preview under Win7 64bit.  Anyone come up with any sort of work around?  In the past I have tended to use Preview almost all the time because it helps me catch dumb mistakes and wasting paper.

kiethf

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:21:24 pm »

I have spent a “lot” of time researching this and haven’t come up with anything. The exact thing happens on my machine: when the Print Preview screen appears the screen flickers and I get several messages from the task bar telling me the display driver has crashed  / been restored. A couple of times it has caused the machine to lock up entirely.

I have  Dell XPS 420.  Win7 64bit. Nvidia 9400 GT. Espon R1900.

Went back 5 versions of the Nvidia driver and still the same thing happens. So its something to do with the Epson driver I think. Glad someone else is experiencing it and it’s not some impossible to find problem in my setup (and I mean that in the nicest possible way   )

Did you post this somewhere at Espon as I'll go and add to the thread so that they know its not a one off?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:22:57 pm by kiethf »

duranash

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:43:01 pm »

I received a reply from Epson regarding this issue as follows:
"Our recommendation at this time is to no longer use our Print Preview function with Windows 7 64-bit. There is a bug that is causing systems to crash. It will take some time, but please check www.epson.com occasionally for possible Windows 7 driver updates which will be needed to correct this issue."

Kind of like going to the doctor and saying my arm hurts when i bend it and the doctor says "don't bend it, that'll be $50.00 please". GRIN  So I guess we wait.

kiethf, does this happen when you are printing from Photoshop?  So far, I can use Preview when printing from Photoshop, just not from Internet Explorer.

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:01:47 pm »

Check out this hotfix. I had the same problem, as soon as I tried to print with preview the screen would turn off then recover, but the document would not spool.

I have a HP with Nvidia chipset on the motherboard. It is not a video or printer driver issue but a USB problem. The hotfix is intended for drives on the USB bus, but
anything that transferrs data over the USB bus is affected.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

HTH

Rich

duranash

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »

Richowens - out of curiosity, I sent your information to Epson with links.  Thought it might be interesting to get their thoughts on using the hotfix.  Maybe you have cured their "driver" issue?

Raw shooter

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:40:48 pm »

I have experienced the same problem for Win 7 (64 bit) over USB to both the Epson R2400 and the 4880.  This problem also was present over ethernet to my 4880 - so I moved it to USB.  USB is not the problem, or not the only problem here.

I thought is was the Nvidia driver and was waiting for an update.  I have been booting into Vista 64, and just waiting out the problem.
This thread surprised me - thought I was the only one!

I print lots and this 'preview' issue is a problem that is a deal killer for Win 7.  Preview has its uses.

kiethf

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:20:36 am »

It happens mostly in Lightroom for me but it renders my PC unstable, particularly coming out of sleep mode. Half the time the screen will flash a few times and then becomes unresponsive forcing a cold shut-down which obviously introduces risk of disk corruption.

I googled epson print preview crashes driver” and I see this is a much more common problem than thought. So hopefully Epson are on it (I did send a complaint in to their support).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:21:35 am by kiethf »

kim

• http://www.digitalphotoguide.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:57:35 am »

I had a short printing session a week ago and didn't see this problem at all despite doing many print previews. To confirm, this was with Windows 7 (64 bit) and the Epson Windows 7 3800 driver. One difference is that I connect to the printer via ethernet, not with USB.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 08:01:22 am »

You're probably not using the same video driver, though. It's probably only an issue with certain video cards/drivers If you and the OP could post what video hardware you're using and the version # of the display drivers, that would probably be helpful.

duranash

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:48:55 pm »

I am using an eVGA, Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 video card, driver version 191.07

dealy663

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 01:45:11 am »

I was having the same problem. I was using my 3800 over ethernet with Win7 64 bit, and the eVGA 9400 GT video card.

I was having several problems with this video card not related to printing. I got 1 blue screen crash, and several problem interactions with the NEC SpectraView software for my 2690 Wuxi Monitor. I also had crashes when using print preview.

Finally I was fed up waiting for eVGA or nVidia to fix the problem so I ditched the stupid 9400 GT card and got a Sapphire ATI 5750 card. I've had no problems with crashing, black screens, blue screens, SpectraView or print previews since I got the new video card.

Now there are still other problems with printing in Win7 64 bit, but they don't cause crashes. Using Photoshop CS4 Extended on my system and trying to get a print made is an exercise in patience. It takes many minutes to transition from one dialog to another. Some times up to 10 minutes. This was killing me on a large printing project I did earlier this month.

Finally I discovered that Lightroom 2.5 offers a much superior printing solution than Photoshop does. Not only does it go faster, but you can select multiple images to print as a job, and use the page layout features to gang multiple images on a single piece of paper if necessary.
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

duranash

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:22:48 am »

Dealy663 - Thanks for the info.  Maybe I'll have to switch cards too.  
I was interested in your comments regarding printing from Photoshop using Win7 64bit.  I'm still using CS3, but printing from Photoshop is just about as fast as my previous XP system.  Slightly different "look", but everything works....except Print Preview of course.  Wonder if there is something else going on?  I am just beginning to use Lightroom, and haven't tried printing from LR yet...sounds interesting though.

Littlefield

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 07:05:40 am »

Quote from: duranash
Dealy663 - Thanks for the info.  Maybe I'll have to switch cards too.  
I was interested in your comments regarding printing from Photoshop using Win7 64bit.  I'm still using CS3, but printing from Photoshop is just about as fast as my previous XP system.  Slightly different "look", but everything works....except Print Preview of course.  Wonder if there is something else going on?  I am just beginning to use Lightroom, and haven't tried printing from LR yet...sounds interesting though.
I have a new Epson 1400 and HP with nVidia GT 230 graphics card and have the same crash and  black screen with print preview in LR and tried it in DPP and it crashed as well but not as much as LR.  
Message at bottom of screen says, Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Nvidia windows kernal mode driver version 186.27 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
No crash in Windows  7 64 bit  photo viewer or Windows Live email  using Epson  print preview. So how could it be Epson print preview works in those programs ?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:12:26 am by Littlefield »

MKraus

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:07 pm »

I am also having this problem.

When I try and print, usually through Lightroom, to my Epson 3800, the screen flickers and turns black and I get the following error message:  Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.  Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 196.21 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.  Or it is forced into power save and computer freezes up and I need to reboot.  

In my research, I have found that if I uncheck "print preview" it works.  But obviously not a good solution.

I am using NVIDIA GeForceGT220 video cared and have newest driver.  Have newest driver for 3800.  Am using Windows Professional 64 bit.
My HP B&W printer works fine with word documents.  This appears to be a video/graphic issue.  It seems like Windows 7/3800/NVIDIA driver do not play well together.

Any suggestions? Reasearching this, it does not appear to be a rare issue.  Anyone who has had this problem, have you tried using a different video card such as ATI?

Thanks,
Matthew Kraus
MKraus3145@gmail.com

AFairley

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:54 pm »

Just to add a data point, I have not had this problem under Win 7 64-bit and an ATI card (4350?), with the latest 3800 driver  I use the print preview very infrequently, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up