Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D-40 to be launched on Feb 10th  (Read 86212 times)

rogan

Hasselblad H4D-40 to be launched on Feb 10th
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2010, 02:28:33 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
Hey togs, life is a compromise, and guess what, cameras are also a compromise.

Compromise, get over it and get a life.

Totally agree, but if I'm having to compromise, I won't pay $40,000 to do it when I can compromise for $5000.

Streetshooter

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:21 pm »

Quote from: rogan
Totally agree, but if I'm having to compromise, I won't pay $40,000 to do it when I can compromise for $5000.

Exactly Rogan.

Keith, if you want to pay mega bucks for a compromise then good for you I say, it's your money !  If I have to compromise I make sure it doesn't cost me too much. Life isn't a compromise for me neither are my cameras.

Pete

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2010, 04:11:36 pm »

Funny to hear some people yelling doom & gloom while apparently the people at Hasselblad believe they are on the right track. Now certainly that might be going somewhere that not everybody likes but hey, there is always Canon or Nikon. Get one of those and be happy with it. The people at Hasselblad are taking the risk of their choices, the future will tell if they were right. It appears they are doing well for themselves sofar.

No problem venting your opinion but the bitterness and the aggression towards Hasselblad (or sometimes towards MF/Larger format in general) I find astonishing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:13:29 pm by Dustbak »

robert zimmerman

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2010, 04:19:49 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
Funny to hear some people yelling doom & gloom while apparently the people at Hasselblad believe they are on the right track. Now certainly that might be going somewhere that not everybody likes but hey, there is always Canon or Nikon. Get one of those and be happy with it. The people at Hasselblad are taking the risk of their choices, the future will tell if they were right. It appears they are doing well for themselves sofar.

No problem venting your opinion but the bitterness and the aggression towards Hasselblad (or sometimes towards MF/Larger format in general) I find astonishing.

no bitterness here, just don't get what's holding them back. a smaller body, a 22 to 31mp cmos chip with big lcd, verticle grip and good iso 1600 and liveview with 10x magnification and i think everyone would jump on it.
a hasselblad that does half of what a 5dII does with a bigger chip would be a money tree imo.

pcunite

« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2010, 04:38:22 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
Funny to hear some people yelling doom & gloom while apparently the people at Hasselblad believe they are on the right track.

... SKIP ...

The people at Hasselblad are taking the risk of their choices, the future will tell if they were right. It appears they are doing well for themselves sofar.

And we all know how one can trust Hasselblad's view of things...

bcooter

« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »

Quote from: kipling
no bitterness here, just don't get what's holding them back.

There is no bitterness, just disappointment, and that comes from people that have written the check(s) to Hasselblad, Phase and Leaf.  

These aren't armchair photographers, or workshop givers  that shoot 4 no pressured sessions  a day.   These are professionals  that love photography but also have a huge responsiblity to deliver to their clients and to grow their business.

A lot of the people replying here have spent a lot of money buying medium format and the result is the dslrs caught up quickly, while medium format just kept on with the same dependency on more megapixels  at the cost of  slow workflows.

To make matters worse it's hard to have confidence in the medium format industry as a whole because there has been so many broken or late promises.  I mean how'd you like to be the guy that bought two AFI's right before Phase "acquired" the Leaf "assets"?

In fact what does that phrase mean, other than Phase acquired the Leaf assets without the service liability?

Or the H1/H2 user that was promised complete compatibility with all digital backs only to find the newer H lenses would only work on a Hasselblad backed camera.

Or  the guy that bough the AFD III thinking there would be leaf shutter lenses only to find the next generation DF is the one that will allow leaf shutters . . . the photographer that bought the new and improved Harteblei Tilt shift for the Mamiya only to see it quietly discontinued.

These are professionals that work damn hard for their money in a very trying and unforgiving industry, being asked by their equipment makers to keep upgrading for very little benefit.

I think we need new tools, though the more I think about it I doubt if larger frame formats is the real answer, at least at their current price point and usability.

Regardless of the tone of this and other threads, there is a series of long running circumstances with medium format that defies logic.

Kodak was an inch away from a modern digital back with a swing out lcd, multiple crops in the software, shooting to portable cf cards and once they seemed to get it almost right they exited.   Leaf got close with the AFI which would allow a quick turn of the back to go from horizontal to vertical, but it required taking the back off the camera and losing connection.  They almost were there with the rotating sensor but then got absorbed by Phase/Mamiya and Leaf's are now just another Phae/Mamiya bodied back with another Dalsa sensor.

Hasselblad probably has the most complete system of lenses and accessories but this last marketing move with a countdown to another countdown just amplified the fact that medium format really has nothing new to say, other than the phrase "superior image quality".

I could go on, but the fact is medium format has broken a lot of good will and confidence and I don't think they're going to get it back running the same business model, with the same message at the same high prices.

IMO

BC

TechTalk

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2010, 05:29:04 pm »

What I want is a 5D Mark II that has:

A bigger brighter viewfinder

An autofocus system that allows me to lock focus anywhere I choose in the frame

An autofocus system that is more accurate with automatic focus shift correction

More resolution. I want to be able to print to a wide variety of sizes and crop in multiple ways.

No anti-aliasing filter that blurs fine detail. If they can’t give me more resolution, at least give me better resolution of what’s there.

Multi-shot option with full color information recorded for every pixel to eliminate color interpolation and produce sharper images

Leaf-shutter lenses

What’s holding them back? Maybe they’re just designing a product with a different feature set for a customer with preferences and priorities that are different than mine.

Of course, maybe they haven’t done it because I haven’t gone online repeatedly and made mocking sneering comments (which showcase my great wit and good natured humor) about their utter lack of integrity and interest in real photographers like me!

In any event, who could get tired of hearing why a tool that other people truly enjoy using to produce their vision is in reality utterly worthless (and produced by a bunch of brain dead and deaf engineers working for companies that are totally incompetent and manipulative) because they don't suit my usage? I know I don't... it's so insightful and inspiring to me and every other artist and professional. Such a breath of fresh air!

These people must just be brain washed by marketing...
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/user-showcase.aspx

Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2010, 05:39:39 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
There is no bitterness, just disappointment, and that comes from people that have written the check(s) to Hasselblad, Phase and Leaf.  

These aren't armchair photographers, or workshop givers  that shoot 4 no pressured sessions  a day.   These are professionals  that love photography but also have a huge responsiblity to deliver to their clients and to grow their business.

A lot of the people replying here have spent a lot of money buying medium format and the result is the dslrs caught up quickly, while medium format just kept on with the same dependency on more megapixels  at the cost of  slow workflows.

To make matters worse it's hard to have confidence in the medium format industry as a whole because there has been so many broken or late promises.  I mean how'd you like to be the guy that bought two AFI's right before Phase "acquired" the Leaf "assets"?

In fact what does that phrase mean, other than Phase acquired the Leaf assets without the service liability?

Or the H1/H2 user that was promised complete compatibility with all digital backs only to find the newer H lenses would only work on a Hasselblad backed camera.

Or  the guy that bough the AFD III thinking there would be leaf shutter lenses only to find the next generation DF is the one that will allow leaf shutters . . . the photographer that bought the new and improved Harteblei Tilt shift for the Mamiya only to see it quietly discontinued.

These are professionals that work damn hard for their money in a very trying and unforgiving industry, being asked by their equipment makers to keep upgrading for very little benefit.

I think we need new tools, though the more I think about it I doubt if larger frame formats is the real answer, at least at their current price point and usability.

Regardless of the tone of this and other threads, there is a series of long running circumstances with medium format that defies logic.

Kodak was an inch away from a modern digital back with a swing out lcd, multiple crops in the software, shooting to portable cf cards and once they seemed to get it almost right they exited.   Leaf got close with the AFI which would allow a quick turn of the back to go from horizontal to vertical, but it required taking the back off the camera and losing connection.  They almost were there with the rotating sensor but then got absorbed by Phase/Mamiya and Leaf's are now just another Phae/Mamiya bodied back with another Dalsa sensor.

Hasselblad probably has the most complete system of lenses and accessories but this last marketing move with a countdown to another countdown just amplified the fact that medium format really has nothing new to say, other than the phrase "superior image quality".

I could go on, but the fact is medium format has broken a lot of good will and confidence and I don't think they're going to get it back running the same business model, with the same message at the same high prices.

IMO

BC

You make it sound like the people you are talking about are the only ones that are not armchair photographers. I can assure you this is not the case. Yes, I have spend more than I would have liked on all sorts of systems (thank god I passed on the Afi). I totally understand the disappointment but get over it.

I am pretty sure I have lost more money than virtually everyone on this forum on stupid stuff (other than photography). The only one I can blame for that is myself. Nobody forced me to spend the money. I admit it has taken me quite a while to get to that state.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:40:31 pm by Dustbak »

pschefz

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2010, 06:21:31 pm »

what i don't like about hasselblad is that every year or so a new "super" hyper" "countdown" thingy makes me hopeful that maybe there might be something to it....now we get the focus thing...i mean it makes sense, this is an age old problem with AF...center AF that is of course....wouldn't it be just easier to put in what every amateur dslr has? it is called multi zone AF....problem solved...and please make it at least as fast as a rebel if you charge so much for it.....
is it really so hard to do? and this question goes out to all remaining DMF makers....why is it that nikon/canon have left you in the dust...in every regard other then mpix and IQ (which is actually debatable because the 5DII compares pretty well to old 16mpix backs as well....)?

where is the innovation? i don't see it...all the advantages MF used to have....why is it so hard for mamiya to provide in lens shutters? they have been around for ages! what is the problem? what's with the small LCDs? there is no way someone can figure out how to put an itouch on there, or even better...make it a slide in/wifi solution....it cannot be that hard....if that costs 2000 extra....we would pay for it....we have paid much more for terrible non-solutions in the past.....and now we don't want to anymore...and don't HAVE to anymore.....

if this H5D was close to a camera a lot of people here have asked for (for a looong time...do a search...always the same result...).....the price would be the smallest obstacle....i have spent much more then the 20000 on a system....but i won't anymore...i don't have to anymore....

what has really changed about the H3D? screen is finally 3"...wow....focus thingy which is still no substitute for the AF of the 5DII (which is a joke compared to the ds3...)...and more pixels with "better color", "better better"....maybe somehow via software i can squeeze out another 1/2 stop or maybe a full stop? there is just nothing there to justify the "countdown" in any way....

if canon/nikon would do anything close to that they would be cruzified in every forum.....they have to: bring it up at least 2 stops, 2 frames/sec, 1 stop DR, new AF to catch bullets, weatherproof, warproof and waterproof...throw in HD video, live view....and if they don't charge LESS for it they get lynched...nikon d3x anyone?

we have been asking (from all dmf makers) for years now for the same thing, really....the problem is that canon and nikon have listened and it is just a matter of time before they blow the idiotic 35mm doors off and give us a truly new digital capture device....which btw....also does not have to be DSLR shape anymore either....no film to transport....i would prefer something like a box.....like a hass 500 actually.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Nick-T

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2010, 06:27:44 pm »

Quote from: pschefz
....now we get the focus thing...i mean it makes sense, this is an age old problem with AF...center AF that is of course....wouldn't it be just easier to put in what every amateur dslr has? it is called multi zone AF....problem solved...

The problem is that the AF sensors out there are just too small, even the outer sensors (which are not very accurate) are just too close to the centre. Believe me I've asked for this many many times.

Nick-T
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:44:08 pm by Nick-T »
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

TechTalk

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »

By the way, in my humble opinion, the countdown promotion was not primarily aimed at bringing attention to the announcement of a new camera model or a new online service for owners. They were part of the announcements, but not the principle purpose.

I think they wanted to draw as much attention (and attendance) as possible to the 50 city worldwide events over 3-days designed to get H4D cameras into peoples hands instead of just reading about them online.

To quote from the promotion...

“We are launching the H4D-40 at special “hands-on” events in over 50 cities throughout the world starting February 10, 2010. To find a launch event near you click on the link to the right.”
“We look forward to seeing you on February 10th-12th!”

Just thought I’d mention it. Now... back to the regularly scheduled public ridiculing and chastisement of which a blessed few are so fond.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:43:08 pm by TechTalk »

lisa_r

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »

Quote from: TechTalk
Just thought I’d mention it. Now... back to the regularly scheduled public ridiculing and chastisement of which a blessed few are so fond.

Indeed. The ranting is out of hand at times. I say vote with your credit card - don't buy it if you don't want one.
Anyway, it doesn't shoot video, so why bother  

Have any of you had complaints about image quality lately???

I know I have not, not in years. Not even from picky high-end ad agency types. So i am not in the market for the latest and greatest in MF.
(There is some C.A. from lenses on occasion, but I use the CA removal tools, and they are gone. Everything gets retouched to death anyway.)

Even if they made this pie-in-the-sky Commerce Camera: 22mp, high ISO, large LCD, fast AF, etc. etc., what would we have? A Canon-type camera, but larger and heavier, more expensive and with 10% sharper files (which for the most part does not show in prints for commerce. And clearly is not going to show on a web site.) And?? Is this worth losing sleep over?

(on a side note: I don't care about the countdown (never looked at it) and I don't care what color the camera body is. My clients' eyes are either glued to my computer LCD, or their cell phone. I am quite sure they have no idea what color my camera is.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:07:17 pm by lisa_r »

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »

Quote from: bcooter

IMO

BC

Not sure what workshop givers we are talking about but that part of my life is actually the easiest shooting it is the other 300 days a year I am busting my ass shooting for clients. Let's watch where we are directing these lame comments. I certainly don't appreciate them after being a working pro for 35 years. You know guys they are all types of photography that is done in this world it certainly does not all revolve around fashion . If you have a certain need that is great but when any company builds a camera they build it for the entire world and maybe why you will see a million functions on the Canons and Nikons because you may need only a handful of them but the guy down the street may need a completely different set of them. Could the MF folks make these faster , lighter and more nimble. To a certain degree they can but your still dealing with a sensor size that requires certain distances for focusing and guts of the cam. They are getting faster that part I already mentioned was damn good on the P40+ and my bet the H40 is faster than the previous sensors. Most of the stuff that is being asked for is a complete redesign and let's put that in perspective. For example you have a large studio and to make changes to that studio as in a complete overall of it when client lists are getting smaller the creative fees are decreasing and you losing employees but your taking a huge risk to redo that studio with the hope that all of that will come back and pay for itself. Just think what these MF manufactures are dealing with along with those same lines. Is it worth it. Now I don't want you to think I am remotely sticking up for them but guess what folks their Pro market is so freaking small to start with and guys bailing by the hour or closing shop do you really think it is worth it to them to make sure Mark and James are happy campers when Canon just keeps surviving off of the hobbyist by the truck load. They could gives a rats ass about our business, they build cameras for people to buy and take that risk if they made them wrong or not user friendly than they take a loss. Do they listen to your comments and desires sure they do and they are able to implement some of them but redesigns from scratch is a huge risk.

Look at the S2 35million invested, 2.5 years in development to streets and they have two lenses out today. RISK and I am not so sure they will even come close to pulling that off and the concept is great just what a lot of fashion guys want. But I certainly don't see Pro's beating down there door to get one. WHY , no need to even talk about it I already know the answers but you see my point. The Pro market is a huge risk for OEM's and none of them are basing their business on us. Frankly they would be pretty stupid if they did. Have to give Hassy, Sinar, Leaf, Phase , Leica some credit for even trying to begin with. We are that small a market. It's the advanced hobbyist driving the market so watch what group of people you step on.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2010, 08:17:20 pm »

BTW Mark and James you know I mean no disrespect either on this and these systems are far from perfect and that goes for all of them. I'm just not sure how much risk we are worth to these OEM's. I also know you guys face some serious challenges daily with this stuff and I don't want to side track that either.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

TechTalk

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2010, 08:35:34 pm »

what i don't like about hasselblad is that every year or so a new "super" hyper" "countdown" thingy makes me hopeful that maybe there might be something to it....now we get the focus thing... wouldn't it be just easier to put in what every amateur dslr has? it is called multi zone AF....problem solved
is it really so hard to do?

where is the innovation? i don't see it...

what has really changed about the H3D? screen is finally 3"...wow....focus thingy which is still no substitute for the AF of the 5DII (which is a joke compared to the ds3...)
I’m with you man. Who does Hasselblad think they are to invent a different approach to making  autofocus flexible and accurate?! Just because they invented a way to make autofocus lock work accurately, allowing your focus point to be anywhere in the frame, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make fun of it and them.

Sure, a 20-something megapixel Nikon or Canon limits you to a small area near the center with their multi-zone points--leaving a vast area of your frame without a focus point. Why should anyone care about that? Just compose within the limits of the autofocus system--Problem Solved, like you said.

Just take a look at this link to see autofocus the way it should be. The Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dsmarkiii/page4.asp

Just remember though...
"The EOS-1Ds Mark III uses a new 45-point AF sensor (the same one as used in the EOS-1D Mark III) that increases the number of cross-type sensors to 19 (the Mark II had 7) - plus 26 'assist' points (which cannot be selected)."

So is that a 19-point AF system or 45-point system? I’m getting confused. Ah heck, never mind--it isn’t the way Hasselblad is doing it with their H4D thingy, so it must be better for everybody!

And regarding that image they used in the viewfinder illustration linked above... who would want to have an object in the corner of the frame focused? Recompose that baby.

Nuff said.

pschefz

« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2010, 09:15:59 pm »

i don't really understand why constructive (and very repetitive) critizism is bashing....or even better: hasselblad bashing...afaik: the complaints are the same across the DMF board or what is left of it....which is only hasselblad and phase/mamiya at this point....

the point is....compare a nikon F4 to a 3dx....you have everything the F4 ever was....but on steroids....and then some and much more on top....

we can't even start to compare MF cameras because there still is nothing over 645 (and most isn't even that....) and might never be...because there seems to be no interest in actually providing us with a digital RZ or 680 or even 500....
schefz.com
artloch.com

pschefz

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2010, 09:29:03 pm »

this is much more exciting news....
schefz.com
artloch.com

BobDavid

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »

this is much more exciting news....

I'd like one of those.

BobDavid

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2010, 09:43:38 pm »

I think it's time for Michael R to put a hault to this topic.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2010, 10:37:10 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
I think it's time for Michael R to put a hault to this topic.

Why? It's been the best read on the entire forum for weeks....
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up