Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Cameras  (Read 2769 times)

RobinCampbell

Digital Cameras
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:01:55 pm »

Hello everyone

I am afraid that this message covers two different threads both 35mm and medium format digital photography. I have been using film for over 30 years but now i have decided to go digital. My camera is a Mamiya 7 11. I like non lens refex cameras and want to say with them when i go digital. I like to take my time over photographs but also take the opportunity to shoot quickily if something presents itself. I like indoor portraits, outdoor portraits, street photography, architecture, landscape, city scapes at nigh and industrial. Also some macro for flowers etc. A wide interest i know. I was looking at the Leica M9 with 4 lens. They would cover what i want with the exception of architecture and some landscape. I was also looking at the ALPA 12 Max with a digital back with some lens with a TC frame as part of the platform for point and shoot.That said the point an shoot with the ALPA will be harder than the Leica. The Leica could be fine for architecture and i could fix the lines in post production. Also a lack of movements could be accomadated in some thing i think like Helicon focus.I also like the ALPA very much because it requires me to understand the movements and take the best photo i could.  Both kits are expensive but the ALPA with the digital back will probally be twice as expensive. Both are wonderful cameras. People have recommended the Nikon D3X and i am sure it is a great camera but i want as close to a mechanical device as possible with great lens. I have though long and hard about these two options. I am not going to go for a view camera of an SLR. Can u help me please.

Thank you.

Robin

PS i have other questions about digitial work flow but i can get a lot of information off the downloadable tutorials.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Digital Cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:30:03 am »

The 35mm (Full Frame DSLRs) are no more or less "mechanical" than digital MF backs. They do the same thing the same way, but with larger sensors, and until lately, the MF digital had/have a very limited ISO spectrum. I think maybe what you should be asking yourself is what you want contrast transitions to look like, detail from a larger sensor, and speed you want to shoot (that's ISO speed). You are already aware that the MF digital cameras (not the backs) are larger, cumbersome, and not as robust as the 35mm cameras. However MF offers a way to keep your film and have your digital too, since many take both backs. Another option is that if you want to keep your film cameras, buy a nice scanner and just scan the negatives. Then you can have your digital and keep your film too.

fredjeang

Digital Cameras
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:47 am »

Hi.
I love Alpa too.
There might be a little problem with 35mm dslr.
If you are used to (and like) these kind of gear,
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/photokina/misc.shtml (minute 3.37 of the movie, start Alpa)
you might find the 35mm digital
a kind of gadgets, boring or inexpressives machines...(although very efficient)
there will be less "shock" in MFD.

Fred.
Pages: [1]   Go Up