Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple iPad as DSLR Ground Glass  (Read 12044 times)

cjmonty

• http://
Apple iPad as DSLR Ground Glass
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:23:21 pm »

I've often wondered why Canon and Nikon haven't written an App for the iPhone, to allow shooters to control their cameras and preview their shots.  

Particularly for tripod-using studio and landscape photographers.  Put a Blutooth dongle into the DSLR, and it could even be wireless.  It would be adding a cutting edge-multitouch device to their products without having to actually design and manufacture such a thing.

In the end though, an iPhone sports a rather small screen, so the App idea is limited in terms of usability.

With today's announcement of the iPad-thingamajig, I definitely see a huge opportunity for a killer camera tether App.  All it needs is a solid tripod-leg-mount, and youve got a 10-inch touch screen for focusing, preview and prodding your pixels.  While at the same time looking at cute kitten videos on Youtube.  Or whatever else people would use the iPad for.

Gary Brown

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:39:51 pm »

Quote from: cjmonty
I've often wondered why Canon and Nikon haven't written an App for the iPhone, to allow shooters to control their cameras and preview their shots.
There is at least one app for the iPhone, although I'm not sure if it can do everything you listed: DSLR Camera Remote

pschefz

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:48:00 pm »

Quote from: cjmonty

Particularly for tripod-using studio and landscape photographers.  Put a Blutooth dongle into the DSLR, and it could even be wireless.  It would be adding a cutting edge-multitouch device to their products without having to actually design and manufacture such a thing.

In the end though, an iPhone sports a rather small screen, so the App idea is limited in terms of usability.

With today's announcement of the iPad-thingamajig, I definitely see a huge opportunity for a killer camera tether App.  All it needs is a solid tripod-leg-mount, and youve got a 10-inch touch screen for focusing, preview and prodding your pixels.  While at the same time looking at cute kitten videos on Youtube.  Or whatever else people would use the iPad for.

the wifi grips/attachments for the canons do all you are looking for.....iphone or ipad....
schefz.com
artloch.com

gss

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:22:48 pm »

They really missed on two things though:
1) SD cards only, no CF
2) USB only, no Firewire
In each of these interface choices, they chose to support only the less professional.

michael

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »

This is a consumer device, not a pro device. Let's get over it.

Michael

bernardd

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »

Quote from: michael

Michael

Indeed it is.
As it was presented, we're all trying to figure out where it would fit in the photographer's landscape. My first impression is that it could eventually replace a laptop on trips although we'd need some kind of mobile Lightroom app with it. Storage is also limited. Price is a big plus compared with something like the MacBook Air.

And then there are all the uses we can't think of yet. One more reason to be patient before dismissing this new tool.

pschefz

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:39:29 pm »

any top of the line laptop is having a hard time doing real work with LR or CS/PS...so how can anyone expect this to do better? for 500$? and so much smaller? what's next?: o god no DVD drive!

this is not made for photographers and there will probably never be a LR app....IF anything, maybe an aperture remote screen or app of some kind...ok, i am dreaming...

but with all the potential there from the iphone and the much bigger screen...there will definitely be some interesting things/apps for sale....

but mostly: this is for media consumption!!! buy music, TV, books and other stuff (incl. cameras) on it....

and i really think it will change education forever...
schefz.com
artloch.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:53:43 pm »

Quote from: bernardd
Price is a big plus compared with something like the MacBook Air.

Price tag is a big minus compared to netbooks running Linux. A colleague of mine bought one for 200 US$ last week, new in Tokyo.

Cheers,
Bernard

pschefz

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:22 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Price tag is a big minus compared to netbooks running Linux. A colleague of mine bought one for 200 US$ last week, new in Tokyo.

Cheers,
Bernard

how big is that netbook? screen size? weight? how many apps are available? i am sure there is something like the itunes store on it? with TV shows, music, movies, apps and now books? i am sure it is multitouch and syncs calenders, bookmarks, contacts,...with my mbp, iphone and mac.com.....i am sure it starts up in a second or 2....

the iphone can do most things a netbook can do...with more apps...and more portable....oh and it has a camera...with video...and editing.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

DanielStone

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 01:02:26 am »

Quote from: pschefz
how big is that netbook? screen size? weight? how many apps are available? i am sure there is something like the itunes store on it? with TV shows, music, movies, apps and now books? i am sure it is multitouch and syncs calenders, bookmarks, contacts,...with my mbp, iphone and mac.com.....i am sure it starts up in a second or 2....

the iphone can do most things a netbook can do...with more apps...and more portable....oh and it has a camera...with video...and editing.....

but....

you can load C1 or Leaf Capture(if you're a MFD user), so you can tether to a netbook. some of the netbooks have FW, not sure if its 4-pin or 6-pin(which one for db's?)

you can also download itunes to it too . AND install a SSD drive, so its speedy . if you stay off the internet with it, it shouldn't get any viruses/herpes   .

-Dan
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:03:03 am by DanielStone »

pschefz

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:17:53 am »

Quote from: DanielStone
but....

you can load C1 or Leaf Capture(if you're a MFD user), so you can tether to a netbook. some of the netbooks have FW, not sure if its 4-pin or 6-pin(which one for db's?)

you can also download itunes to it too . AND install a SSD drive, so its speedy . if you stay off the internet with it, it shouldn't get any viruses/herpes   .

-Dan

this is not meant to run C1 or leaf capture.....get a modbook if you want that with osX.....this thing is completely different...

if you want a netbook running windows, there are plenty out there and have been for a while.....but they are useless.....ever tried running C1 on an atom processor with 2gb ram an top of windows? with integrated graphics? good luck....
schefz.com
artloch.com

bernardd

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 02:59:42 am »

Quote from: pschefz
any top of the line laptop is having a hard time doing real work with LR or CS/PS...so how can anyone expect this to do better?

Real work is not the point of this thing. I'd be very happy with something that lets me injest, tag, do some basic corrections and allows me to publish to the web while on the road.

Farmer

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 03:09:19 am »

Doing corrections?  That would mean raw converting for most, and you wouldn't be able to do it with your raw convertor of choice because it just does not have enough horsepower to run them.
Phil Brown

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 06:08:51 am »

Quote from: michael

But it has a much better display than any Macbook Pro, or any other notebook (no matter how expansive).
It's so ironic, that the first portable computer with IPS matrix since Thinkpad T60p (Flexview IPS) is only a toy, that can't be used in professional photographic applications.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

bernardd

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 07:58:23 am »

Quote from: Farmer
That would mean raw converting for most, and you wouldn't be able to do it with your raw convertor of choice because it just does not have enough horsepower to run them.

I'm not sure it can't. The core chip seems to be an ARM Tegra 2 based design with dual core capability running at 1GHz. The OS is also very lightweight and single tasking. It still won't be as fast as a MacBook Pro but again that's not the point. It just needs to be usable in this aspect.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:44 am »

It has a 1024x768 display.  YAWN.

BJL

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 10:51:31 am »

Quote from: gss
They really missed on two things though:
1) SD cards only, no CF
2) USB only, no Firewire
In each of these interface choices, they chose to support only the less professional.
Indeed: the iPad is primarily a mainstream media player and communication device, not a professional photographic or "content creation" tool.
But the USB dongle should allow use of a CF card reader.

Some people here seem to be dreaming of an "iPadPro". It is a bit like the complaints from DSLR users that Micro Four Thirds does not offer the performance of a good DSLR yet is not pocketable like a tiny-sensor, small-lens compact. In each case, I suspect that there is a big gap between existing products to be filled, but mostly for the mainstream consumer market, not so much for professionals and serious amateurs.

cjmonty

• http://
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 11:14:37 am »

I agree with everyone that this will be a decidedly consumer-level device.  And really, its just that "not-computer-ness" that interests me as a photographic tool.  It wouldn't be a Photoshop platform, and could just barely be a Raw Conversion platform.

But for me thats not the point- it is a multitouch viewer with resolution and interface that beats any imaging company is putting directly on their cameras.  

In regards to software, it is a simplified OS that welcomes a profusion of teeming and heatedly competing mini-programs.  The best "tether" program would probably be made by a guy in Columbus or Xiamen, and not Nikon or Canon.  As Mao said, "Let 100 (software) flowers bloom" (before the Party/Apple crushes them- heh)

The iPad definitely won't replace anyone's Macbook or Mac Pro.  But considering how much a digital photographer shells out for professional-quality gear, a $500 viewfinder/reference/internet connection/who-knows-what seems well within the realm of reason.  Aren't those Canon WiFi attachments already about $1000 alone?

narikin

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:29:43 pm »

get a Fujitsu Lifebook Tablet running Windows 7.
has up to the same processor as the highest level MBP, converts to tablet form, can hang from tripod legs, has 2 HDD slots - I have two SSD drives in mine.
removable battery, so you can buy extras and keep it going in the field:

yes it has firewire,
yes it has USB,
yes it has an Ultra Bright Outdoor screen.
Yes C1 Pro works on it in tablet mode.
Yes I use it with my Phase P65+ on Alpa for focus/composition,and ultra quick refresh etc.

ok its a little heavier than a netbook/ipad, but Fujitsu are selling off refurbs for $850 and up on eBay right now.
I have a T5010 there is a slightly smaller lighter model available if thats your choice.

it is the pro answer to this.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 04:03:49 pm »

Hmmm...

"it has a bigger screen, twice the battery life, all sorts of needed connectors including an HDMI connection, camera, multi-tasking and more.
And it is supposed to come out at $350."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/an-ipad-k...26?siteid=yhoof

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up