Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RM3D Day 1  (Read 14214 times)

CBarrett

RM3D Day 1
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:14:16 pm »

Had the RM3D out with me all day today and am most impressed.  Really a wonderful little camera, very precise and focusing was a breeze.  Attached is the first shot I took with it as well as a couple candids of the Arca itself.

-CB

DanielStone

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 03:36:31 am »

hey chris,

so, after your first day, would you say that you feel any "different" working with this camera versus working with a bellows-type rig like your M2? Does it make you look, or feel, any different about how you see the photograph form itself in the camera compared with your current M2 rig?

I just wish I had the budget to allow myself to be able to afford such lavish equipment . a little farther down the road though. I'll get there soon

-Dan

archivue

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:37:55 am »

Quote from: DanielStone
so, after your first day, would you say that you feel any "different" working with this camera versus working with a bellows-type rig like your M2? Does it make you look, or feel, any different about how you see the photograph form itself in the camera compared with your current M2 rig?

Having test both as well, while i'm a fan of LF camera, i must confess that the RM3D gives you more freedom in my movements, and you don't have to spend time for focusing... it doesn't attract your attention.
The second point, is that sometimes you can also use it handheld.
The viewer is quite nice.
It takes 5 time less to make a picture than with a monorail.

On the other hand, every lens cost 1000 euros more than a regular one.

If you are working with about 4 or 5 lenses, the complete kit cost nearly the double.

I've first tried the M2, and was seduce compare to my F line, but when i've tried the RM3D i thought after 5 images that this type of camera was the way to go for architecture.
I hope, i will be able to buy one of these type of camera this year.

But in a studio, i prefer the M2.

erick.boileau

• http://
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:44:11 am »

what is the widest lens you can use with it ?

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:14:03 am »

Please, please, please, test focusing accuracy with something like a Leica D5, cheap laser distance finder or, worst case, measuring tape. Transfer the measured distance to the helical mount and don't use the ground glass for focus.

Ideally do it with a number of lenses at different distances/apertures.

This will test what distinguishes this camera from every other on the market.

If it works as advertised, all the Cambos, Sylvestris, Sinars and even the beautiful Alpas are left for dust.

CBarrett

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:25:24 am »

Quote from: JdeV
Please, please, please, test focusing accuracy with something like a Leica D5, cheap laser distance finder or, worst case, measuring tape. Transfer the measured distance to the helical mount and don't use the ground glass for focus.

Ideally do it with a number of lenses at different distances/apertures.

This will test what distinguishes this camera from every other on the market.

If it works as advertised, all the Cambos, Sylvestris, Sinars and even the beautiful Alpas are left for dust.

I haven't even bothered figuring out how to use the distance scale since I always compose and focus on the ground glass.  I'll give it a whirl, though if I can figure it out : )

The focusing mechanism IS very precise.  On the view camera, a 1 millimeter focus adjustment has pronounced effect, where a ten degree rotation on the RM3D's focus ring is rather subtle.  Overall I do find the camera more convenient and more rigid.  I like the M2 for furniture and tabletop in studio, as well as long lens details of architecture.

For interiors, the view camera doesn't slow me down any more than the DSLR or RM3D.  For running around outside grabbing quick, wide angle shots, I'd definitely reach for the RM3D.

Here's the kit I'm planning on outfitting over the next month or so.

Case 1: Arca M2 with 6 lenses and sliding back
Case 2: Nikon D3 with 3 lenses and M Line Adapter Kit, RM3D, Digi Back (batteries and charger)

What's really cool is that the RM3D lenses are mounted on flat recessed plates that are then mounted in tubes.  You can get an Arca 110mm lens board to R Bayonet adapter and have all your lenses mountable on either camera.  This possibility is, I believe, unique to Arca Swiss and really damn cool.

When the Schneider 28mm Super Digitar is finally released, I'll have the ability to shoot it on the RM3D, or pull it off that and mount it on the M Line 2, then even remove the rear standard, mount the Nikon on the M2 and shoot it that way... 3 fully integrated cameras... Nice!

I think I may very well be dumping my 645 DF and lenses.

-CB
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:35:21 am by CBarrett »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 12:17:57 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I haven't even bothered figuring out how to use the distance scale since I always compose and focus on the ground glass.  I'll give it a whirl, though if I can figure it out : )
It's just a spreadsheet printed on the tube for the finder --- turn to find your lens, go across to find your distance, then transfer that number to the focus helical.

What's really cool is that the RM3D lenses are mounted on flat recessed plates that are then mounted in tubes.  You can get an Arca 110mm lens board to R Bayonet adapter and have all your lenses mountable on either camera.  This possibility is, I believe, unique to Arca Swiss and really damn cool.

When the Schneider 28mm Super Digitar is finally released, I'll have the ability to shoot it on the RM3D, or pull it off that and mount it on the M Line 2, then even remove the rear standard, mount the Nikon on the M2 and shoot it that way... 3 fully integrated cameras... Nice!

-CB
Note too that all the RM3D lenses come mounted with a dual tube -- you remove the tube for use with the Rotaslide, or keep it on for direct GG viewing.  As such, you can mount the 23 on the RM3D, just not in conjunction with the Rotaslide, has to be direct view...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:20:40 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:29:31 pm »

I recently went to visit Arca and spent an afternoon there. Martin demonstrated how poor was my focus accuracy for digital with a ground glass (I've spent 22 years doing it and consider myself pretty good—with 4" x 5" or 8" x 10" film, even under difficult light conditions and using movements I expect to get every shot 100% sharp). The trouble is, no ground glass itself can resolve at the level required for a digital back. Of course one can often get by using depth of field but really critical accuracy cannot be achieved. That's why the RM3D and RL3D are potentially highly significant.

However, for focusing on the ground glass by eye the RM3D actually makes things worse than an M-Line because the eye tires rapidly and gets worse at hitting sharp focus over the many turns of the helical mount compared with the comparative crudeness of the monorail. That's why I urge you to test with a digital distance finder and the distance scales. The RM3D is an exquisite instrument designed to solve the fundamental outstanding problem with view/pancake cameras and digital backs. I'd really like to know if it actually succeeds.

The focusing mechanism IS very precise.  On the view camera, a 1 millimeter focus adjustment has pronounced effect, where a ten degree rotation on the RM3D's focus ring is rather subtle.  Overall I do find the camera more convenient and more rigid.  I like the M2 for furniture and tabletop in studio, as well as long lens details of architecture.

For interiors, the view camera doesn't slow me down any more than the DSLR or RM3D.  For running around outside grabbing quick, wide angle shots, I'd definitely reach for the RM3D.

Here's the kit I'm planning on outfitting over the next month or so.

Case 2: Nikon D3 with 3 lenses and M Line Adapter Kit, RM3D, Digi Back (batteries and charger)

-CB

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 03:08:28 pm »

hi chris
what is, and where can I find  an M line adapter kit?
thanks
m

CBarrett

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 05:42:28 pm »

Quote from: marc gerritsen
hi chris
what is, and where can I find  an M line adapter kit?
thanks
m

Marc,

You can order the M Line 2 as a DSLR kit or a digi back kit...(or both)  It's basically just a plate to mount the body on the rear standard bearer and a bellows with a bayonet mount on one end... available through Arca dealers.

I'd prolly go for a RRS L Mount plate though, in order to allow mounting the camera vertically.

-CB

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »

Chris, were you using the E module? or some other system?
Thanks.

CBarrett

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:00:26 pm »

Quote from: JohnBrew
Chris, were you using the E module? or some other system?
Thanks.

Actually, just the groundglass and an 8x Rodenstock Loupe.  Dead on every time. I can't imagine having much use for the VarioFinder and E Module, unless I decide to use the R to shoot street work... but for my commercial work I'll always use the groundglass.

BJNY

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:20:05 pm »

Actually, just the groundglass and an 8x Rodenstock Loupe.  Dead on every time.

May I know where to purchase Rodenstock 8x, please?
Guillermo

CBarrett

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 10:31:44 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
May I know where to purchase Rodenstock 8x, please?

Sorry, it's actually a Canon 8x which I believe is no longer available... but I also like this...

del_pscc

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 11:12:33 pm »

Chris --

A couple of questions, while you're working with the Rm3d:

1 - Is the tilt mechanism restricted to the vertical plane or can it be rotated to other orientations?

2 - Does the standard back rotate (as I gather that it does on the Rotaslide) or must the back be removed and remounted?

Thanks,

Dave.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 03:36:00 am »

congrats to ur new arca chris.
looks as it will see great photograhs ... so ur cam has good luck too that u found it.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

archivue

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:23 am »

1 - Is the tilt mechanism restricted to the vertical plane or can it be rotated to other orientations?

yes, so you have to turn the camera...

but with the bigger RL3D, you can turn the front 90°
see pics

2 - Does the standard back rotate (as I gather that it does on the Rotaslide) or must the back be removed and remounted?

no it doesn't, you can turn the adapter

the viewer can also be attach in 90° position too !

For focussing, i went with the Big Rodenstock 6x... nice thing with it, he's that you can use it with glasses on !
Rodenstock 6x

John Eaton

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 06:32:13 pm »

Here's a few more Rm3d examples of a slightly different architectural subject -- and echoing a previous post, I use a leica disto laser rangefinder to accurately measure distance then use a table to translate this into a value for the helical (works well in poorly-lit cathedrals!)

[attachment=19559:Wells_Ch...er_House.jpg]   [attachment=19556:Norwich_East_End.jpg]
[attachment=19558:Salisbur...Crossing.jpg]    [attachment=19555:Ely_North_Transept.jpg]
[attachment=19557:Peterbor...el_Vault.jpg]

JoeKitchen

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 07:42:43 pm »

Chris,

Does the RM3D have swing as well as tilt?  I am assuming that the tilt is geared?  

And you can interchange lenses between the M 2 and the RM3D without bringing a copal wrench, awesome.  I think that it's sealed, Arca Swiss seems like the company for me.  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

DanielStone

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 03:23:26 am »

Quote from: John Eaton
Here's a few more Rm3d examples of a slightly different architectural subject -- and echoing a previous post, I use a leica disto laser rangefinder to accurately measure distance then use a table to translate this into a value for the helical (works well in poorly-lit cathedrals!)

John,

1stly, beautiful shots there, I really like the ones of the ceilings!

just out of curiosity though, where did you pick up your Disto? also, you don't happen to be using one of the dedicated b/w P1 45+ backs, do you?

i remember reading about a special run that P1 did on those, expensive little buggers?! something reminds me that P1 also was thinking about a dedicated P65+ run too, not sure if that was going to happen, think they needed like 100 or so pre-paid orders for them...

oh well, 4x5 TMAX still for me

-Dan

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up