Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading printer....Epson or HP 44"  (Read 8829 times)

jsparks

Upgrading printer....Epson or HP 44"
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 11:55:25 am »

Quote from: abiggs
It should be said that you should also consider the Canon iPF8100. I have one as well as the Z3200, and it is actually my go-to machine for most of my work. It is a more robust printer, it is lightning fast and the output is fantastic. Prices on the iPF printers tend to be very very aggressive, which also helps.

Andy,

Can you compare the differences you notice between the Canon iPF8100 and the Z3200?  Especially with respect to paper compatibility with Baryta papers and others using photo black ink.  Does the gloss enhancer on the Z3200 make a noticeable improvement on glossy/luster papers or are the Canon inks good enough that the gloss enhancer is not needed with them.

John Sparks

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:25 pm »

John-

Great questions. Let me try to tackle them and add some additional information.

OK. The iPF8100 is more of a production machine, and will appeal to those customers who have higher volume, as well as more tricky media. The iPF8100 does an excellent job at handling thick or heavy media, and really is great for canvas as it has a built in rotary cutter that works on canvas. The Z3200 does not. The 8100 is much much faster, and I would say it is probably 2 to 4 times faster. For most people on this forum that doesn't matter at all, but it is worth mentioning. And the 8100 is built like a tank.

From a print quality standpoint on matte papers I think the 8100 is slightly better. On glossy media the HP is slightly better, and even better if you are printing black and white. I cannot explain that difference, but it is what my eyes see. The challenge / opportunity is that the HP takes more work to arrive at the best possible ICC profile and related paper type settings. The 8100 has fewer choices and I have figured out how to get the best results by paying attention to this forum, friends and some testing on my own. The HP has required more iterations for me for some reason, and I am not sure why.

The Z3100 didn't fare too well for all papers, especially the heavier / thicker papers, however I haven't had any issues with the Z3200 at all. I also have a 9900 showing up in the next few days, so I will have the latest 44" printers from the big 3 manufacturers. Keep in mind I have these printers as a result of my work for Moab Paper and the relationships that I and Moab have, so not all printers I have paid for out of my own pocket. I do create profiles for these manufacturers and I also get the ability to test these products before they hit the market. I test the printers for tricky media, and I have to say that the current generation of printers is much better than just a couple of years ago. Paper handling keeps getting better and better, for sure.

In my own printing studio I tend to use my 8100 for matte papers and canvas, and I have the Z3200 loaded up with glossy media all of the time. It plays to the strengths of each of these printers, and also minimizes the constant switching of rolls.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:46:06 pm by abiggs »
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »

Andy,
That's a fair analysis and good fortune to have all three to work with their individual strengths.    I can only have one, so went with the HP (over the canon) since I will do a lot of black and white prints and possibly need to profile papers.   May I ask, which papers are you using in the HP and particularly which for black and white?  
Thanks,
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 02:35:30 pm »

Eric, I use a few papers for black and white. Here goes:

Moab Colorado Fiber Satine (brighter white base)
Museo Silver Rag (warmer base for toned images)
Moab Entrada Bright 300gsm (my go-to cotton paper)

Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

jsparks

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 11:33:55 pm »

Andy,

Thanks for the response.  Lots of useful info.

John

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 01:03:00 am »

Thanks Andy for info.

Anyone know if there is any crossover in terms of papers between the z3200's little brother or not?  I guess at least some of the inks are different so not so sure how much they share in terms of behavior.  I have been using a b9180 for a while now and really liked the Harman FB AI gloss...  guess I am going to find out soon - the printer already arrived today and I'm setting it up now.

Rolleiflex USA

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 02:53:16 am »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Thanks Andy for info.

Anyone know if there is any crossover in terms of papers between the z3200's little brother or not?  I guess at least some of the inks are different so not so sure how much they share in terms of behavior.  I have been using a b9180 for a while now and really liked the Harman FB AI gloss...  guess I am going to find out soon - the printer already arrived today and I'm setting it up now.

Same ink base so media shouldn't behave different. In total the ink load can even be lower on the wide formats due to the replacement of YM, CY and CM mixes with R G B. Of course Gloss Enhancer will bring more ink on the paper and improve gloss if the paper can handle that. Custom media presets can be made with general ink limitations 80-120 % etc.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Damir

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 05:44:42 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Same ink base so media shouldn't behave different. In total the ink load can even be lower on the wide formats due to the replacement of YM, CY and CM mixes with R G B. Of course Gloss Enhancer will bring more ink on the paper and improve gloss if the paper can handle that. Custom media presets can be made with general ink limitations 80-120 % etc.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Definitely the same ink, I have Z3100, ProB 9180 and 8850 - as I hate Z3100 sheet loading for small format up to A3+ I use A3+ printers.

When Z3100 pronounce ink cartridge as empty I use syringe and pull out remaining 15 to 18 ml of ink from it, and pump it in cartridges of smaller printer, I even started to use "low ink" cartridges from Z for that if I need to print significant amount of A3 an A3+ or smaller, never have any problem with colour or anything else.

Printer will continue to work with such cartridges, you only got warning "replace your cartridge soon".

Just be careful not to pump air in small cartridge or you will have problem with empty lines on print.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up