Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus battery recharging woes  (Read 16019 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Leaf Aptus battery recharging woes
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:07:53 pm »

I am on holiday trying to recharge two Samsung 7.4v SDV-SBL-160 packs for my Aptus 17 using the Samsung charger BC-L1Q that I got with the A17.

When I insert a battery, the indicator light flashes orange and then, instead of (eventually) flashing green, the indicator light flashes red. This happens about 2 minutes after I insert the battery. I have left the battery in this state for some hours and nothing changes. I have tried the battery in the digital back but there is no power.

This behaviour is repeated with the second battery that I have tried to recharge.

The only difference between my holiday setup and what I have at home is the mains cable—I am now using a generic cable to avoid unplugging the one I use at home.

I understand using the incorrect cable could be the cause of my problems but the other possibility is that the charger is defective.

I have seen some Aptus battery chargers listed on eBay. Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Anyone got a Samsung charger BC-L1Q for sale?
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

archivue

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 04:47:57 am »

i've bought Hahnel MCL103 charger for samsung and Hahnel batteries SBL 160s or double capacity SBL320s

works well

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:53:28 am »

Quote from: rogerxnz
I am on holiday trying to recharge two Samsung 7.4v SDV-SBL-160 packs for my Aptus 17 using the Samsung charger BC-L1Q that I got with the A17.

When I insert a battery, the indicator light flashes orange and then, instead of (eventually) flashing green, the indicator light flashes red. This happens about 2 minutes after I insert the battery. I have left the battery in this state for some hours and nothing changes. I have tried the battery in the digital back but there is no power.

This behaviour is repeated with the second battery that I have tried to recharge.

The only difference between my holiday setup and what I have at home is the mains cable—I am now using a generic cable to avoid unplugging the one I use at home.

I understand using the incorrect cable could be the cause of my problems but the other possibility is that the charger is defective.

I have seen some Aptus battery chargers listed on eBay. Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Anyone got a Samsung charger BC-L1Q for sale?
Roger

Roger, I replied on the Leaf forum as well but basically a Red light means no charge, typically due to a faulty battery but in your case it does sound like the charger is broken.

There are many chargers in the market but in my experience the Hahnel and the Samsung are the fastest.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

derekkwong

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:28:39 am »

Just curious to know, how many shot u can take from a battery?

yaya

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:40:16 am »

Quote from: derekkwong

Between 0 and about 1,000, depending on time, temperature, length of exposures, usage of the LCD....

RichA@FotoCare

• http://fotocare.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 08:20:25 am »

We have a Hahnel Power Station Twin V Pro Video charger that is compatible with a wide range of batteries, adapters included.  It includes a plate for the Leaf, plate T9, and a plate for the Phase, plate T4.  We like this model for it has LCD meters vs just a blinking LED.  Cost is $110.00 US.

Best,
Rich Andres
Foto Care Digital
41 West 22nd Street
NY, NY 10010
212-741-2990

yaya

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:28:03 am »

Quote from: John-S
My experience with an Aptus 22 is you get about 2 hours of continuous operation from 1 battery, or maybe 150-200 frames of normal use (during those 2 hours). 1000 frames, not so sure about that, was never my experience. I think the time limit is more accurate than frames. If you want to shoot for 8 hours, then have 4 batteries. In cold weather, expect a battery to last less than 1 hour.

Hi John, 1,000 frames is more like a lab test in optimal conditions. Fresh new battery, screen off and finger down. This is probably more relevant to fashion when shooting long bursts with short breaks.

Otherwise I would agree about 2-2.5 hrs of "normal" use. On an electronic camera (Phase/ Mamiya/ Contax/ H) it'll be closer to 2.5 hrs and on a mechanical body a bit less.

I was shooting in the snow a couple of weeks ago at 0ºc for about 1.5 hrs with 2 batteries which I swapped every 15 minutes so they both still had some 50% charge left in them at the end.

Yair

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:59:10 am »

Back in my Atpus 22 Contax days, I used those big honking double sized batteries, that kind of looked like a GMC truck battery hanging out from the bottom and could get about 300 frames before they got goofy, though I had to be careful with knocking the camera around as they are heavy and hang below the back and every now and then would lose connection.

I also found the third party batteries were not that consistent.  One would last a long time, others not so much.

I did find that with the Contax battery life, (as well as shooting speed) depended on whether I autofocused or used manual focus.  On manual everything went faster, on auto slower and I noticed this tethering also.

To me if the Aptus had one fault, it was the battery placement because it gets in the way of the firewire connection, so I guess that's why you can't use a battery and a computer both for power when tethering.

If the Aptus had a strong point it was the look of the files, especially the A22.  Under the right conditions I loved the way they produced skin tones and always shot it at 200 iso, even though it added some noise, it was to me very pretty.  The two downsides was I couldn't see the image on the back of the camera when tethering.  I got tired of always running back to the computer station to see so I finally made a tripod powerbook station that I kept next to the camera (when possible) so I could see the image and tethered a 30" monitor to another station for the clients to view.  The second issue was the A22 would moire quickly, but if shot only beauty I would have used it forever.

The real positives of the Aptus is the touch screen interface is very well thought out (mostly), and though the preview is rough, at least it's big.    Also if you shot black and white you could set it to see black and white, which my Phase plus backs won't do.

BC
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:02:25 pm by bcooter »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
The two downsides was I couldn't see the image on the back of the camera when tethering.  I got tired of always running back to the computer station to see so I finally made a tripod powerbook station that I kept next to the camera (when possible) so I could see the image and tethered a 30" monitor to another station for the clients to view.  The second issue was the A22 would moire quickly, but if shot only beauty I would have used it forever.
BC

Just FYI - the new Aptus II series produce the image on the LCD while shooting tethered.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

RAV

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:11:36 pm »

http://www.batteries.com/webapp/wcs/stores...amp;Ntt=SB-L160

Chargers are $10. Batteries are $17.  I've seen higher capacity batteries (2500 mAh) for closer to $25. Do an internet search.

Happy New Year.
Rich

derekkwong

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18:19 pm »

I am new to Aptus and my set was bought from some pro users.
You guys seems having a fair number of shots, my A17 can operate only 30mins/50shots.

And YES, today i got the same problem as Rogerxnz, the charger flash with red light. I believe the battery has problem.
I experienced some replacement battery and charger for my Nikon D3, they are cheap ($1x for the battery and charger) and reliable, and actually works better than the Nikon Genuine Battery!
I may going to buy 4 L160s (L320 is double capacity, but it is way too big with my A17 and Rz67!!!), may report back at here!  

derekkwong

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

If the Aptus had a strong point it was the look of the files, especially the A22.  Under the right conditions I loved the way they produced skin tones and always shot it at 200 iso, even though it added some noise, it was to me very pretty.  The two downsides was I couldn't see the image on the back of the camera when tethering.  I got tired of always running back to the computer station to see so I finally made a tripod powerbook station that I kept next to the camera (when possible) so I could see the image and tethered a 30" monitor to another station for the clients to view.  The second issue was the A22 would moire quickly, but if shot only beauty I would have used it forever.

The real positives of the Aptus is the touch screen interface is very well thought out (mostly), and though the preview is rough, at least it's big.    Also if you shot black and white you could set it to see black and white, which my Phase plus backs won't do.

BC

Hi BC
Yes Aptus produces very good skin tone and details, my A17 works well too. ISO 400 is usable with fair light condition and noise reduction software. Really can't wait to hear Phaseone to release new C1 to support our Aptus Backs.

Did you find out the Aptus ISO sensitive is underrate? Usually I have to set lower ISO in Sekonic Meter to get right exposure. (No problem for my Nikon D3 and Panasonic GF1)

Also can you show your powerbook station? I am interested to build one for studio and outdoor use, to support helding my MBP.

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 04:40:20 pm »

... my A17 works well too ... Really can't wait to hear Phaseone to release new C1 to support our Aptus Backs.

Maybe not a good idea to get too excited about that until you speak to a dealer

derekkwong

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:32 pm »

Quote from: asf
Maybe not a good idea to get too excited about that until you speak to a dealer

Can you give more detail about it?
Isn't C1 is going to support old Aptus MOS files?

archivue

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:46:54 am »

no, unless you send it to leaf with some cash to have an upgrade... but not shure they will offer it for the 17 !

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 11:38:42 am »

This is pretty murky, so I suggest contacting your dealer or Leaf directly . The lack of interest of any of the myriad dealers/reps that frequent this board should give you a clue as to how hopeful you should be.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:50 am »

This is pretty murky, so I suggest contacting your dealer or Leaf directly . The lack of interest of any of the myriad dealers/reps that frequent this board should give you a clue as to how hopeful you should be.

I think the lack of formal response is because the issue of legacy Aptus support for Capture One is still being sorted out - to some degree. As far as I know, my understanding is that Capture One file compatibility with all Aptus products will be forthcoming. It already exists of course for Aptus II.  Tethered support is another matter. There is a committment to tethered support for Aptus II, but beyond that is not clear at this point.

I could be wrong - but this is my current understanding.

Steve Hendrix

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:23 pm »

The Aptus-II series will show the image on the LCD (if desired) while you're shooting tethered and will also reflect curves/color adjustments that you make and save in LC11 on the back of the Back's LCD and you can zoom in on the preview ON the LCD while shooting tethered. It's a very neat feature. The iPhone/iPodTouch application adds another cool-but-also-actually-useful layer of wireless review while shooting tethered. Leaf has come a long way since the Aptus 22.

The view-in-bw option is present on the P40+ and P65+ but is not available in previous versions.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:11:27 pm by dougpetersonci »

RichA@FotoCare

• http://fotocare.com
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 12:33:01 pm »

Sorry just haven't been around or missed looking at this post again.  The price list from Nov. 15th, 2009, offers a 2 year Extended Warranty for Aptus II & Aptus* series backs, the * list that it includes a firmware upgrade / future software compatibility for the Aptus series, for a cost of $2,600.00.  You might consider this a lot but it's actually less expensive then the previous Leaf Extended warranty.  This upgrade is suppose to allow Aptus users the capability to use Capture One software when it is available for the Leaf Aptus backs.  Since we were a Leaf Dealer and not Phase - new to Leaf-Phase, I would still check in with your local support on what this means for you, how is the work completed, how long it takes, when will the software be completed.  I'm getting an order to do our first upgrade shortly and will post the results when we get them.

Best,
Rich Andres
Foto Care
NY, NY
212-741-2990
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:34:08 am by RichA@FotoCare »

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 09:55:29 am »

I have confirmation that there will be support for Legacy Aptus files for Capture One without any warranty upgrade or dollars changing hands. This is for file compatibility only, tethered support has not yet been determined, regardless of warranty status, etc.

The only gottcha may be Aptus 17 support, but there's no reason why if there is commitment for compatibility for all other Aptus that the 17 would be excluded. However, I can only confirm support for all Aptus models and likely support for Aptus 17. As soon as I receive confirmation on the Aptus 17, I'll let you know.

Steve Hendrix
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up