Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to hang 2 Paper backdrops side by side..  (Read 5033 times)

Snook

Best way to hang 2 Paper backdrops side by side..
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »

Have a shoot this week and need the width of like 2 backdrops side by side but cannot figure out the best way to hang them side by side so they are seamless pretty much down the middle.
Any suggestions or images of how to do this the best way.
Thanks and much appreciated
Snook

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:17:49 pm »

i'm assuming your doing this w seamless

Done this a couple ways in the past but, the one I've liked best is to find a crosspole long enough to hold both rolls (grip house should have this).  You will need c stand in the middle most likely to prop it up a bit and keep the middle from sagging.  But basically you just butt the two rolls up against each other and use gaff tape  to cover the seam. obviously this is best for white or black....but if a weird color you can always tape from the back and clean up what's left of the seam in photoshop.

Quote from: Snook
Have a shoot this week and need the width of like 2 backdrops side by side but cannot figure out the best way to hang them side by side so they are seamless pretty much down the middle.
Snook

Quote from: Snook
Snook

BrianWoolf

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:35:07 pm »

The best way is to do it horizontally. If you have a 20' wall, using a level, draw a level line at the 10' height. Then, with a tightly rolled background, start stapling and unrolling the background paper as close as possible to the level line. When you have done the 18', cut the remaining roll off. Then I would staple the bottom center and work my way out with only a few staples. Then on the floor roll out another 18' and cut it off. Take the core or whatever remains on the roll and use it to start rolling the paper up along it's 18' length. It takes a little patience to get the ends to roll under, be a neat as you can because once it is rolled up you need to double stick that 18' of end edge. This roll needs to be pushed against the corner, where the floor and wall meet, often I use a brick to prevent the roll from unrolling. once the double stick is peeled, I stand in the middle of the roll and gently lift it up until it covers the paper on the wall by 2 or 3". Stick the center and with someone holding one end of double stick, smooth out from the center towards that person, then do the other side. I put a few staples in each end to reinforce the double stick.

Good Luck,
Brian

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:26:43 am »

Quote from: BrianWoolf
The best way is to do it horizontally. If you have a 20' wall, using a level, draw a level line at the 10' height. Then, with a tightly rolled background, start stapling and unrolling the background paper as close as possible to the level line. When you have done the 18', cut the remaining roll off. Then I would staple the bottom center and work my way out with only a few staples. Then on the floor roll out another 18' and cut it off. Take the core or whatever remains on the roll and use it to start rolling the paper up along it's 18' length. It takes a little patience to get the ends to roll under, be a neat as you can because once it is rolled up you need to double stick that 18' of end edge. This roll needs to be pushed against the corner, where the floor and wall meet, often I use a brick to prevent the roll from unrolling. once the double stick is peeled, I stand in the middle of the roll and gently lift it up until it covers the paper on the wall by 2 or 3". Stick the center and with someone holding one end of double stick, smooth out from the center towards that person, then do the other side. I put a few staples in each end to reinforce the double stick.

Good Luck,
Brian

that sounds like a serious pain in the ass.

ziocan

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:41 am »

Quote from: Brady
that sounds like a serious pain in the ass.
I second that.
I could not even read it till the end.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:51:25 am »

Does no-one make a decent wide roll for photography backgrounds?
Things like Colourama only come in what is to my mind very limited sizes and a major reason I rarely do studio shoots.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:32 am »

Quote from: jjj
Does no-one make a decent wide roll for photography backgrounds?
Things like Colourama only come in what is to my mind very limited sizes and a major reason I rarely do studio shoots.
Calumet is listing a 3.55M wide roll at £255 in UK. I would be interested to hear if it has a metal core. My normal 2.72M rolls with cardboard cores sag slightly supported on hooks with expanding inserts.

Calumet UK

Regards, John

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »

Quote from: jmwscot
Calumet is listing a 3.55M wide roll at £255 in UK. I would be interested to hear if it has a metal core. My normal 2.72M rolls with cardboard cores sag slightly supported on hooks with expanding inserts.

Calumet UK

Regards, John

Not sure if it's the same, but I have a 12 foot roll of white from Vistek here in Canada. It's on cardboard, so we do a 1/2 rotation ever day we're in the studio to avoid the sag. If we're both out for more than a few days, we'll pull it down.

David McCaughan

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:55:34 pm »

I've done it several ways. Vertical seam is faster, running the seam horizontal is less likely to be visible. Don't look into the seam, and try to light into the seam so there is no shadow. Either way tape it while it's flat, and then roll it up and hang it in one piece. As was mentioned, at least one extra support in the span is critical, put it up, and if it sags cut a small whole and support it with a stand. I've even stapled it to the wall the way Brian did using gaffers to keep the staples from pulling/tearing out. But that was only because we did not have enough cross bar to span the width.
Dave

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:09:04 am »

Quote from: jmwscot

Calumet UK

Regards, John
Thank you for that.
You'd certainly need a metal pole to hang that on.

Every time I've spoken to peeps with studios + paper rolls they say that they can't get wider rolls. So obviously that's not true
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

lisa_r

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »

We get 12 foot rolls from Calumet, Fotocare etc. when need be. Is that not wide enough? (meanwhile I am sure you are done with this shoot already...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up