Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewfinder mask for P30 on Hasselblad  (Read 2903 times)

AndrewMcD

Viewfinder mask for P30 on Hasselblad
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:04:36 pm »

I've got the little cardboard focus mask that came with my P30 for the Hasselblad, but honestly, it's not great for providing accurate frame lines when framing a shot. Has anyone else come up with anything better? I'm about to just create my own mask that would give me both vertical and horizontal crop marks, just curious if someone has already done the work!

Thanks.

marcel b

• http://www.marcelbillaudet.com
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:10:40 am »

good morning,

what I did for my RZ, as I couldn't find something ready made, was to freeze the camera on the tripod, stick a piece of white paper to the wall and make as many marks on the paper, until I had the exact framelines of the sensor. then I put some clear gel on the groundglas to copy those guide lines and copy them again to some black cardboard, that I covered with selfsticking gel. took some time, but helps a lot to frame right.

what I was looking for originally, was a mask, like I had it for my old RB for shooting 6x4,5, made of thin, black metal, that worked perfect, but nobody seems to provide these for different sensor sizes.

In my case the guidelines on the groundglass were not exactly in place, and I didn't want to be remembered all day of how much smaller my sensor is, compared to 6x7 ;-)

best regards,
marcel
billaudet photography
http://www.marcelbillaudet.com

AndrewMcD

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:16:02 pm »

I will probably follow a similar process for my camera and digital back.

Quote from: marcel b
good morning,

what I did for my RZ, as I couldn't find something ready made, was to freeze the camera on the tripod, stick a piece of white paper to the wall and make as many marks on the paper, until I had the exact framelines of the sensor. then I put some clear gel on the groundglas to copy those guide lines and copy them again to some black cardboard, that I covered with selfsticking gel. took some time, but helps a lot to frame right.

what I was looking for originally, was a mask, like I had it for my old RB for shooting 6x4,5, made of thin, black metal, that worked perfect, but nobody seems to provide these for different sensor sizes.

In my case the guidelines on the groundglass were not exactly in place, and I didn't want to be remembered all day of how much smaller my sensor is, compared to 6x7 ;-)

best regards,
marcel

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:26:31 pm »

Quote from: AndrewMcD
I've got the little cardboard focus mask that came with my P30 for the Hasselblad, but honestly, it's not great for providing accurate frame lines when framing a shot. Has anyone else come up with anything better? I'm about to just create my own mask that would give me both vertical and horizontal crop marks, just curious if someone has already done the work!

Thanks.

Wha I did after making small marks with pencil, I took some 3M tape that has a grainy texture, and taped it off, so it is a bit darker and blurry.
I want to change it to color code so I can distinguish vertical vs horizontal. Just need to find transparent color tape :-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:23:45 pm »

I bought the H3D-31 screen for my H2/P30+ combo. Works great, no tape, very accurate framing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up