Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 155   Go Down

Author Topic: Love those Trees  (Read 859251 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2009, 09:10:29 pm »

Quote from: John R
If I was you, I would stick to your guns. Everyone has a vision and style and way of looking at things, and most images can be cropped 7 ways to Sunday. But the point is, IMO, if the critiques or suggested crop is not meant to help the author make HIS vision better known, then it is just another person's take on how the image should be cropped. While the cropped version is good, so too was the original. It's just a different format.

And Happy New year to one and all.

JMR

Thanks. I liked the effect of the crop on the right. It ads a degree of intimacy that wasn’t in the original. I considered it good feedback. But in general I agree with you that there are many ways to crop and few come down to obvious yes/no decisions.

The reason I cropped the left is related to production. The study print was about 6” x 24” so were I to print it 48” long it would be only about a foot tall. The later edit increases the vertical by about 2.5” which is a little closer to what would be ideal.

The pano will be a very fun tool to learn! It solves a number of composition related problems when shooting in the woods.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:43 pm »

Quote from: tim wolcott
I just wanted to make myself clear.  I really love the image, I wanted to give just a little advice to you and no disrespect intended in anyway.  I make my living selling my photographs around the world and doing exhibits in galleries and museum.

I thought it would be more sellable if just a tiny little bit was cropped off the right side.  Its a great shot.  Tim

No worries at all.

I'm after the feedback. There are a lot of talented regulars at the site. What could hurt by trying a reasonable suggestion? When you do, sometimes you even learn something useful.

~Thanks again & Happy New Year to all ~

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Love those Trees
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2010, 10:13:49 am »

Quote from: Justan
> Justan, I like what you did with that image. If you don't mind I would crop just a half in off the right side and it would bring the focus into the middle. But very nice glow, Really nice.

Thank you for the comment and suggestion!

I tried a few different edits after posting. Here’s the update.

Happy New Year! - DJ
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:16:13 am by djgarcia »
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2010, 10:40:44 am »

[***]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=19030[/***]

Lets keep the good work coming.  Tim

BTW i intended to mention this previously - with the foto above as an example, your work is fabulous! The treatment of color & shade is superb! I will strive to get these kinds of results.

As an aside, when doing a quote, is there a programmatic way to include links or thumbs for the original image(s)? I've seen others do it but above i tried to snag the link to the image and re-post it. but the site returned a warning stating:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
Sorry, dynamic pages in the [IMG] tags are not allowed
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:41:21 am by Justan »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2010, 10:42:57 am »

Quote from: djgarcia
I for one enjoy both the original and Tim's suggestion. Here's one I took in Long Island two years ago, you might call it its spooky sister image or at least first cousin  ...

Happy New Year! - DJ

Thanks very much and your foto is awesome! They are related

Happy New Year to you!

collum

• http://www.jcollum.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2010, 01:49:02 pm »

Tim, your Mono Lake shot is my favorite... very compelling image

a few from a recent tree series

... and an 'ex' tree

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:52:20 pm by collum »

collum

• http://www.jcollum.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »

wolfnowl... #3 is my favorite... love the tones in that image. also like the later 'ancient cottonwoods' a lot!!

Lois, #5 & #8 are great. you've worked well in both color and monochrome!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Love those Trees
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2010, 05:23:36 pm »

Quote from: collum

Nice work!  The last one not so much, but the others are great.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2010, 07:13:53 pm »

Thanks I'm glad you liked it.  I like what your doing here, emotional creation.  The 2nd and 4rth are the ones I like the best.  But love the mood on the 5th.  Love what we are getting from everyone on the images.  Hope to see more images.  Thanks much everyone.  Its this kind of participation that keeps the art of shooting and seeing alive.  Tim

Quote from: collum

... and an 'ex' tree

djgarcia

Love those Trees
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2010, 06:20:03 pm »

Thanks I'm glad you liked it.  I like what your doing here, emotional creation.  The 2nd and 4rth are the ones I like the best.  But love the mood on the 5th.  Love what we are getting from everyone on the images.  Hope to see more images.  Thanks much everyone.  Its this kind of participation that keeps the art of shooting and seeing alive.  Tim
Love the mood in that second one ...

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Love those Trees
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2010, 01:48:24 am »

Love the mood in that second one ...

So do I... unfortunately I really don't like those rocks in the foreground.  Not sure why.  Don't suppose you could have lifted them out for the shoot, Tim?    

Mike.

tim wolcott

Love those Trees
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »

No actually they look very good in the original large scale photograph printed at 50 inches.  I'm a fan also of rocks preferably round ones.  Not sure what you mean by lifting them out.  They are enormous.  I could have possible cropped them out by moving forward but the forest debris on the forest is ugly.  Do you like this one better.  Tim

Quote from: wolfnowl
So do I... unfortunately I really don't like those rocks in the foreground.  Not sure why.  Don't suppose you could have lifted them out for the shoot, Tim?    

Mike.

djgarcia

Love those Trees
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »

No actually they look very good in the original large scale photograph printed at 50 inches.  I'm a fan also of rocks preferably round ones.  Not sure what you mean by lifting them out.  They are enormous.  I could have possible cropped them out by moving forward but the forest debris on the forest is ugly.  Do you like this one better.  Tim
I like the rocks. I like trees and rocks in general - they make good subjects

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Love those Trees
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2010, 01:13:47 am »

Hi Tim:  I was kidding about moving them.  I love rocks, and I'm sure these would be great in some context... I think what it comes down to is that there are so many soft textures in the image - the leaves, the flowers, the bark, the mist, the light itself, and then there are these rocks.  Now rocks aren't usually soft, and the rocks themselves could anchor the image, but in this case it almost looks like they've been softened - negative clarity sort of thing.  That might just be the mist, I don't know.  Anyway, for some reason, to me, they looked out of place.  I'm sure on a 50" print they'd look much different.

Just a critique, not a criticism.

Mike.

RobReuthal

Love those Trees
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2010, 04:16:38 am »

The "collom" set is a great one, I agree with mike and my favs are the #2 and #4,  they brings a nice mood !

tim wolcott

Love those Trees
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2010, 12:50:10 pm »

Mike, never took it as criticism.  I was trying to figure out what you mean.  I believe these were left by the glaciers is why they seem soft and I'm sure the soft light makes them feel softer.  This is in Sequoia and nothing is normal there.  I like your analysis on the anchor, I tend to use rocks and tree trunks as a way of anchoring the shot to give some sense of scale and life to the image.  but it really only works when you can get some type of falling away of the ground helps give the depth.  Tim

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi Tim:  I was kidding about moving them.  I love rocks, and I'm sure these would be great in some context... I think what it comes down to is that there are so many soft textures in the image - the leaves, the flowers, the bark, the mist, the light itself, and then there are these rocks.  Now rocks aren't usually soft, and the rocks themselves could anchor the image, but in this case it almost looks like they've been softened - negative clarity sort of thing.  That might just be the mist, I don't know.  Anyway, for some reason, to me, they looked out of place.  I'm sure on a 50" print they'd look much different.

Just a critique, not a criticism.

Mike.

Rob C

Love those Trees
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »

Deleted.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:51:42 pm by Rob C »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Love those Trees
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2010, 04:22:40 pm »

Tim, your pictures are amazing; I just love the second at post #89, and the one at post #92, both are very inspiring.

Now, the first one at post #89... please do not get mad at me, I know you have a very refined technique, and I am completely confident the camera was perfectly horizontal; but it looks like falling. The only visual reference I have is the shoreline, those trees and their branches go in every direction; and when I see that photograph, my mind can stop screaming "falling horizon". If this photograph was mine, even if I knew it was a perspective thing, I would have 'corrected' it; perhaps just as a favour to the viewer, or perhaps just to get rid of these pesky comments at the forums.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Love those Trees
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2010, 04:26:40 pm »

I like the rocks. I like trees and rocks in general - they make good subjects

Were these taken in `The Garden of the Gods`at Manitou Springs, CO?  Looks like that area.

Mike.

Patricia Sheley

Love those Trees
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2010, 06:15:52 pm »

This thread has been very satisfying , almost a meditation...In Tim's original post, the #3 image, "In the River's Path",  quiets and focuses my thinking...what Tim refers to as pre-visualization...To me it is one that seems to break many rules but draws me in anyway...I hear it, I smell the lush breakage in the constancy of the waterflow, and yet quietly on the top of that boulder an entire history of the seasons is unfolding before our eyes...

It is not the type of image I gravitate to,yet it calms me...I think about it sometimes when I am sitting behind the camera, this weekend past with the camera and 300 on a wimberly head tied into the tree where I had climbed...I spent the entire afternoon and early evening looking through the trees...isolating by aperture and shifting light various forest shots and then as the last rays slid behind the ridgeline the "framing card mentality" caught this brief moment...I have been taking the time to seek the smaller stories within(As in Tim's where  that one tenacious leaf on the trio of tree trunks alongside that boulder somehow says "awareness of place".  I see it in much of Tim's work ) and hope to grow photographically on their nourishment.

Thank you to all who are placing their vision in our view...I know I will grow from this group of images and commentary...This was my last shot of the day...Patricia S.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:16:50 pm by psheleyimages »
A common woman~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 155   Go Up