Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei born again  (Read 18895 times)

PdF

Rollei born again
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:33:36 pm »

PdF

James Godman

• http://www.godman.com
Rollei born again
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:54:39 pm »

Yay!  Hope they are successful.
James Godman
[url=http://www.godmanblog.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei born again
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:54:34 pm »

Fantastic!
Rolleiflex USA

paratom

Rollei born again
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:26:10 pm »

good news. I heard some rumours before but it is good to hear some official infos.

Graham Mitchell

Rollei born again
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:46:25 pm »

Sounds good! More specific Hy6 info would be great.

Photostudent

Rollei born again
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:05 am »

Happy to know this/

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Rollei born again
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 12:43:09 am »

Best of luck to them.  The Rollei was my favorite MF camera setup.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

ThierryH

Rollei born again
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:13 am »

Quote from: foto-z
Sounds good! More specific Hy6 info would be great.

Remember Graham, the Hy6 rights belong now to Kodak, after Jenoptics, still not to F&H or the new company running Rolleiflex cameras and accessories.

Best regards,
Thierry

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei born again
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:07:07 am »

I'm really pleased about this and hope to hear more about what all they will be producing.  I've read quite a lot of different stories some which say they won't be making the 6000 series stuff which would be too bad if true.  Anyone know?

Also with regard to the Hy6/AFi   Yair keeps writing that the entity that owns the rights to the Hy6/AFi is Leaf Imaging which is owned by Phase and I've read that in some news stories - forget where at the moment.  Thiery, you've written and I've read it in the BJP or was it photoscala? that Kodak owns the rights.    Again, anyone know?  Or is it each has some portion of the rights?    

Too good a camera and gear to loose!
Rolleiflex USA

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Rollei born again
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 01:32:49 am »

Belongs to Daddy? How such thing could happen?  

ThierryH

Rollei born again
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 05:00:46 am »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Thiery, you've written and I've read it in the BJP or was it photoscala? that Kodak owns the rights.    Again, anyone know?  Or is it each has some portion of the rights?

Unless I have heard or read about these rights having been bought or taken over by somebody else officially, which I didn't so far, the Hy6 rights belong to Kodak.

Best regards,
Thierry

Gigi

• some work
Rollei born again
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:20:49 am »

Quote from: xinchenc
A very complicated situation.

+1
Geoff

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Rollei born again
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:13 am »

Quote from: Geoffreyg
+1

I just find it amazing that nobody konws what really is going on and the people who know, don't give a shit to tell the rest.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ThierryH

Rollei born again
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:48:21 am »

Quote from: Christopher
I just find it amazing that nobody konws what really is going on and the people who know, don't give a shit to tell the rest.

Christopher,

that's the way it is until something is ironed out in all details and ready to go public. In this case this means that NOTHING is ironed out YET, or may be even that nothing is going on at all, thus very little people knowing which way it could go, if it goes somewhere. Nothing wrong for me here.
What I feel to be wrong is that there is a wonderful camera simply shamefully resting on some shelves and nobody to realize the potential it still has.

Well, PO has its MF platform, meaning Leaf has it as well now, Hasselblad has its own, and Sinar doesn't seem to be either interested or able to bring it back to the market.
Who else could be interested in a stand-alone camera which doesn't bear in itself any profit margin, which isn't by far complete with all lenses and accessories, and which probably therefore means a lot of financial investment with little chance of fast ROI?

Best regards,
Thierry
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:24:53 am by ThierryH »

ThierryH

Rollei born again
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:49:28 am »

deleted: double post
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:49:52 am by ThierryH »

michael

Rollei born again
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:18:31 am »

Though it had potential, given the current convoluted corporate ownership politics, technical issues, legal machinations, bankruptcy filings, and not to mention the continuing poor global economy, I would say that the chances of the Hy6 ever being resurrected are somewhere between zero and none.

R.I.P

Michael

ThierryH

Rollei born again
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 09:40:09 am »

Quote from: michael
Though it had potential, given the current convoluted corporate ownership politics, technical issues, legal machinations, bankruptcy filings, and not to mention the continuing poor global economy, I would say that the chances of the Hy6 ever being resurrected are somewhere between zero and none.

R.I.P

Michael

Agreed, Michael.

Thierry

BJL

Rollei born again
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 10:05:37 am »

Reading between the lines of the announcement (the total lack of mention of Hy6 or anything digital, the talk of the operation being considerably smaller than before, at least for now) I would guess that Michael is right, and that this will be only a revival of the traditional Rollei medium format film camera systems for tradition-minded Rollei customers. Better chance of TLR than DMF.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
Rollei born again
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 12:47:07 pm »

I am afraid so  
I don't have a signature.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei born again
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:32 pm »

Putting aside the Hy6 for the moment.....IMHO the 6008AF is still a better camera than most current MF solutions out there.    The lenses are awesome and available, it can do 1/1000 sync, it has 1/3 stop adjustments, it can do multipoint metering, you can shoot it handheld with low shutter speeds very easily, will take film if you want it. Once you get used to it, the ergonomics are fantastic.  

If there were any problems with the camera is was only with marketing and distribution - Rollei got run over by the Hasselblad PR and theres a ton of misinformation out there about the cameras, stores didn't have supply to show or sell, and the sales staff didn't know the camera enough to want to sell it.  Consequently, there are people who never even used this platform that will swear up and down about how the zeiss lenses are better or how much more reliable hasselblad cameras are/were.  

The 6008AF was the pinnacle of a long development of that make starting with the SLX.  I'm sure if the Hy6 had one more iteration they would have ironed out the bugs, but that said their previous generation camera, the 6008AF is still one of the most advanced cameras out there.  I'd take it over the new phamiya 645DF any day of the week.  I'm a big fan obviously and hope the new organization will continue with this camera line.  So if the Hy6 is at a road block, they could always just update the 6008AF slightly to share EXIF information with digital backs and be about as far as with the Hy6 actually.  I've always wondered what the reasons were that phase and leaf did not get on that platform in the first place.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up