Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exif/metadata deleter  (Read 2805 times)

mbalensiefer

exif/metadata deleter
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:20:50 pm »

Hi!
 I am using Exif Remover on my images. I notice about a 5% savings in file size, at my-resolution images.

The problem is that with the .jpg format, "rotated" .jpegs often have their orientation information saved IN the exif data. While this feature helps to preserve file data, about half my images now are rotated "back" to a 90-degree turn either left or right.

How can I rotate these images permanently? I am working with my original (large) images, so artifacting should be of little concern...

~Michael

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:22:41 pm »

Save for web in PS saves without the metadata, and eliminates the rotation problem.

mbalensiefer

exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:06:58 am »

Thank you.
 So I will perform a "Save for Web," with a Photoshop file size of 9 (of the 12 settings available in PS4...as this creates less artifacting than other file sizes).
  This feature will also let me "really" rotate (without using exif info). Thanks again.

~Michael

Jonathan Wienke

exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:34:27 pm »

Correct. Have fun.

mbalensiefer

exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:08:18 pm »

Jonathan, does PS's "Save for Web" strip out anything else other than the orientation part of the exif data?

Thanks,
~Michael

Jonathan Wienke

exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:23:02 pm »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
Jonathan, does PS's "Save for Web" strip out anything else other than the orientation part of the exif data?

Thanks,
~Michael

AFAIK it doesn't save any metadata at all. The only option you have is to include a profile, but that's optional.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 11:20:46 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
AFAIK it doesn't save any metadata at all. The only option you have is to include a profile, but that's optional.
That's changed in CS4 - now there are various options (All, All except camera info, copyright and contact, none).

John

mbalensiefer

exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »

Do I want to include a profile?

Jonathan Wienke

exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 12:31:47 pm »

I would, because then color-managed browsers can display the image colors properly. Make sure you convert the image profile to sRGB before saving to web. That will ensure that non-color-managed browsers display at least somewhat correct colors. sRGB isn't perfect, but every other option is far worse..

Phil Indeblanc

exif/metadata deleter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:23:31 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
How can I rotate these images permanently? I am working with my original (large) images, so artifacting should be of little concern...

~Michael

I use ACDSEE Pro3, and one of the many features is that it lets you save different Metadata profiles.  If you have multiple files with differnt metadata you want to include, for example, 2 differnt business names, this is very helpful with lots of files. Automates manythings like watermark also. Surely you can custom setup Photoshop to do these things with actions, but this is a nice program that has many features builtin.  Often available on sale for $89-129, and I think it is worth that.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up