Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching from PC to Mac?  (Read 32842 times)

Gemmtech

Switching from PC to Mac?
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 10:20:55 pm »

Quote from: ChrisSand
Something arcane for Windows users to smile at and for the Mac users to know.
(I offered this at the PODAS 'do' last month and was amazed that so few Mac users know of the this house-keeping technique.)

Mac users!! If you are getting cursed by the spinning beach ball (and odd crashes) there is a simple solution that should likely be performed weekly.

- Reboot your Mac with the Shift key held down. This boots the Mac into 'SAFE' mode. A progress bar will appear as the Mac writes out all the essential system pages to a new directory.
- Once the Mac is booted into your user account, find the Disk Utilities app in your Utilities folder, boot it and then highlight your hard drive (probably named Macintosh HD) from the list of disks at the left. Click the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button. Go have a coffee for 5 minutes or so.
- When complete, reboot your computer (this is important). The boot process will now take all those shiny polished system pages and place them back where they belong.

Live free of the spinning beach ball of death for a while.

Chris

Yes, DON'T FORGET TO REBOOT 5 TIMES before your MBP is working properly again!  The first 4 shutdowns took 45-60 seconds, that was a "little" change from the 3-5 seconds it was taking to shut down.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:21:36 pm by Gemmtech »

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 05:57:27 am »

Quote from: Gemmtech
Yes, DON'T FORGET TO REBOOT 5 TIMES before your MBP is working properly again!  The first 4 shutdowns took 45-60 seconds, that was a "little" change from the 3-5 seconds it was taking to shut down.

I did this technique yesterday on my late 2008 MBP and 2007 MP 8-core.  My MBP shut down in the usual 2-5 seconds on the first shut down after performing this technique.

Cheers.
Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 10:20:55 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
And Apple still doesn't have an actual maximize button so that you can resize a window to fill the entire screen. With most apps, you have to drag the window and resize it manually. WTF??? Is that supposed to be part of the "superior user experience"???

First time I put my fingers on a Mac, it took me no more than 10 seconds to miss the maximize button; I thought the Mac's owner was joking when he said there was not such control. Second thing I missed (some 10 seconds later) was a proper wheel on the mouse; I couldn't believe Apple was suggesting that their clitoris-mouse could be used for serious work.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:21:41 am by GLuijk »

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 11:21:34 am »

I am on windows since 1995,  I have since 3 month a MAC PRO , and I wonder WHY I haven't switched before

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 11:31:40 am »

Quote from: erick.boileau
I am on windows since 1995,  I have since 3 month a MAC PRO , and I wonder WHY I haven't switched before

Well everyone is different I have been always working with windows and during university I mainly used macs for 2 years. I can't tell you how happy I was when I got back to my own PC ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 01:56:41 pm »

Quote from: slobodan56
. Obviously, the way I work, I do not want any window maximized. Say I then move to a web site that requires a different window size to display its content without (horizontal) scrolling. With Safari, for example, clicking the green radio button  enlarges the window just enough to cover the new content... with Firefox, it actually maximizes the whole window, blocking everything else on the screen. Mostly for that reason alone, I prefer using Safari to Firefox. Now, everybody is entitled to argue whether that is a flaw or feature, good or bad... I am just explaining how I find it useful.

Yeah, whatever. There is no consistency to what a user can expect to achieve when clicking the green button on a window in OSX. Even in Safari, there is no consistency to how tall the window will become vertically after clicking the button, and there is no guarantee that the window will display without needing horizontal scrolling for the current site. Even if there is enough screen real estate to expand the window horizontally to fit the site, Safari won't always do so. Finder windows are even worse; the results of clicking the green button is basically random. No attempt whatsoever is made to ensure that all columns are visible, regardless of available screen space, and no attempt is made to keep the active window from covering up other windows. So after clicking the green button, you're pretty much guaranteed to have to manually move and/or resize the window anyway, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a button to click. Since you have to manually move & resize the window anyhow, why bother clicking the button? If you actually LIKE this inconsistency, you're welcome to it. Give me a blue button (in addition to the ones already present) that does an actual maximize, and you can keep the green one and its inconsistencies.

IMO this is just as stupid as Apple's decades of insisting on a single-button mouse, long after it became clear that 2-3 buttons were industry-standard. My Macbook has a single "mouse" button below the touchpad, even though the touchpad is multi-touch. So if I want to "right-click" I have to hold down a key on the keyboard while clicking the "mouse" button. That is not in any manner easier, more intuitive, or more efficient than simply dividing the existing huge button in half to make two buttons.

Now before you go getting all butt-hurt that I'm bashing Apple, let me be clear that Windows has its share of stupid design quirks as well. One that is particularly annoying to me right now is Vista's process for connecting or disconnecting a dial-up networking connection. You start by clicking the network status icon on the task bar, and a small window pops up showing you what connections are active (dial-up, wireless, or wired), with a link to "connect or disconnect..." a connection. Clicking the link brings op a larger window that shows all network connections, and whether they are active or not. So far, so good. The stupidity starts when you click on a connection to connect it. The list disappears and is replaced by a connection status dialog. Once the connection is made, the only option you have is to close the window entirely. You can't leave the list open to quickly disconnect the connection when you're done using it (or reconnect if your cellular connection drops and kicks you offline), you have to restart the process from the beginning. You don't have to deal with this if you have a wired or wireless connection to a router with an internet connection, but if you're stuck with dialup, you get to deal with this frequently.

My ultimate point with all this is that neither Apple nor non-Apple computers are free from stupid software and hardware design flaws; they simply have different sets of design stupidities and bugs. Neither is unconditionally better for all users and purposes; the best choice depends on the software being run (some software is only available for one system or the other, and some software has critical bugs or feature limitations present in one version, but not the other), hardware requirements, user familiarity with one system or the other, and cost sensitivity.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:03:59 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

erick.boileau

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 02:11:21 pm »

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2009, 03:04:53 pm »

Cool. Most of the time when I'm using my Macbook, I only have one app open (Safari, iTunes, or a Finder window), and maximize makes a lot more sense than zoom, especially considering how poorly implemented and inconsistent zoom is implemented in OSX. Adding an actual maximize button (say blue, with a square in the middle) would be trivial, and give users the choice of which behavior they wanted.

BTW, when editing images on a dual-monitor system, the most logical layout is to have PS' main editing window fill the largest monitor, and have all the editing palettes on the smaller monitor. Maximizing Photoshop's main window makes far more sense than zooming in this context...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:10:11 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

erick.boileau

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 02:39:14 am »

Cool. Most of the time when I'm using my Macbook, I only have one app open (Safari, iTunes, or a Finder window), and maximize makes a lot more sense than zoom, especially considering how poorly implemented and inconsistent zoom is implemented in OSX. Adding an actual maximize button (say blue, with a square in the middle) would be trivial, and give users the choice of which behavior they wanted.

BTW, when editing images on a dual-monitor system, the most logical layout is to have PS' main editing window fill the largest monitor, and have all the editing palettes on the smaller monitor. Maximizing Photoshop's main window makes far more sense than zooming in this context...

I agree totally, and  a  build-in 4th  button will be great

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36:52 am »

Quote from: slobodan56
Of course it is not true. However, if you believe a book should be judged by its cover, or a man by the clothes he wears, then you would be right to equate users of a dozy OS with "dozy" users.

You're still assuming that that there's validity to the notion that Windows is a "dozy" OS, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean...kinda hard to figure when you can generally buy a Windows machine that will outperform any similarly-priced Mac, both in benchmarks and real-world performance, by a significant margin. It's stupid made-up BS like this that makes Windows users want to reach for large, heavy, blunt objects when the Mac zealots start chanting their mantras.

If I wanted to act like a Mac zealot, at this juncture I would insinuate that Mac zealots are zombies infected with a cleverly-disguised virus hidden within OSX, except that instead of mumbling "BRAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINS" as they stumble around devouring their victims, they say things like "zoom is better than maximize" or "one button on a mouse should be enough for anybody" or "superior user interface" or "better hardware-software integration"...but of course that would be childish and immature and totally inappropriate and offensive, so I won't.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 08:44:55 am »

If I wanted to act like a Mac zealot, at this juncture I would insinuate that Mac zealots are zombies infected with a cleverly-disguised virus hidden within OSX, except that instead of mumbling "BRAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINS" as they stumble around devouring their victims, they say things like "zoom is better than maximize" or "one button on a mouse should be enough for anybody" or "superior user interface" or "better hardware-software integration"...but of course that would be childish and immature and totally inappropriate and offensive, so I won't.

Or they might say something like "Nobody needs more than 64K of RAM!" (Oh, sorry, That was Bill.) 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2009, 11:25:15 am »

Quote from: EricM
Or they might say something like "Nobody needs more than 64K of RAM!" (Oh, sorry, That was Bill.) 

The alleged quote was actually 640K, not 64K. But there's good reason to question whether Bill Gates actually said that; while there's hundreds of examples of it being mentioned, I have yet to find a source that can document where or when. And Bill has denied saying anything of the sort on several occasions. If you can nail down some specific documentation of when or where Bill Gates actually said such a thing, you're a better Googler than I am...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2009, 12:58:43 pm »

...but of course that would be childish and immature and totally inappropriate and offensive...
I am glad we finally agree on something

Quite a tall order though (to agree with you), given the amount of straw-man arguments you tend to use. On the other hand, it is much better to (voluntarily) agree with you than to be battered into agreement by "large, heavy, blunt objects"  

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »

As a tangent, I might add that there has not been a corporation in American history to have given up as huge a competitive advantage as has Apple.  Back in the very early days of computers, the best thing going was the Apple II series.  Very few people had ever even seen a computer, and Apple put one in every school in America.  For an entire generation of kids, Apple meant computer.  For a variety of reasons, that generation ultimately went to PCs, which were cheaper, had more software available, and didn't work as well.  Apple market share went into single digits, and the company almost collapsed.  And of course, you all know what saved Apple...the iPod and other innovative products.  Gads, I should have bought up a bunch of Apple stock when it was $5 a share!!!  P.S. I have a quad core PC with 8 gigs of memory running Windows 7.  No issues whatsoever.  But I use an old Apple for video editing!

This has been an interesting discussion, one which sometimes is more emotional than factual.  When this one runs it's course, maybe we can have someone ask whether they should dump their Canon for Nikon, or visa versa!

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2009, 01:52:48 pm »

The alleged quote was actually 640K, not 64K. But there's good reason to question whether Bill Gates actually said that; while there's hundreds of examples of it being mentioned, I have yet to find a source that can document where or when. And Bill has denied saying anything of the sort on several occasions. If you can nail down some specific documentation of when or where Bill Gates actually said such a thing, you're a better Googler than I am...
You may be right. But it just makes such a lovely urban legend (I say, as a long-time PC user).

As for the brand wars, in my personal experience MS DOS 5.0 was the last Microsoft OS that was ready for market. Everything since has been either in Beta or Alpha shape (actually, I don't know about Win 7 as I haven't tried it yet). Nevertheless, a PC with Windows is certainly a more capable machine than any Mac at the same price point, for all the reasons you have pointed out already.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2009, 02:03:11 pm »

Quote from: EricM
You may be right. But it just makes such a lovely urban legend (I say, as a long-time PC user).

As for the brand wars, in my personal experience MS DOS 5.0 was the last Microsoft OS that was ready for market. Everything since has been either in Beta or Alpha shape (actually, I don't know about Win 7 as I haven't tried it yet).

Too true. 95 and Millennium never really got to the point where they didn't suck. 98 wasn't very good until the Second Edition came out, XP was ugly until SP1. Vista worked well for me right out of the box, although it seemed like a lot of the changes were made for change' sake than to fix actual problems. Others had a lot of trouble with it though. I'd be somewhat inclined to quibble with you about Windows 2000; I've used both the Server and Professional versions heavily and had very few problems that traced back to the OS. I'm still running it on some of my machines; it just works. But in general, I consider Microsoft stuff as beta until SP1 is released.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2009, 06:18:55 pm »

the 640k quote is actually from discussions w/IBM engineers when the original PC was being designed; an 8bit CPU addressing a 16bit bus resulted in a 20bit "segment offset" adressing scheme resulting in  1mb memory limit.  IBM reserved the top 338k for BIOS, display, etc  resulting in 640k .

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2009, 08:10:16 pm »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
the 640k quote is actually from discussions w/IBM engineers when the original PC was being designed;

Do you have a citation to document this? My Google search results either cited the quote without any supporting evidence, or else claimed that there was no evidence to support that Bill actually said such a thing--that it was just an urban legend. I'd be interested in nailing down the controversy if possible.

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2009, 08:23:03 pm »

Quote from: soberle
This has been an interesting discussion, one which sometimes is more emotional than factual.  When this one runs it's course, maybe we can have someone ask whether they should dump their Canon for Nikon, or visa versa!

Back when the original 1Ds and 1D-II were the latest and greatest from Canon, only a fool would have switched from Canon to Nikon; Nikon didn't have anything anywhere near as good. Since then, Nikon has done a pretty good job of playing catch-up; it's current offerings are by all accounts somewhat better than Canon's -IIIs, though not necessarily better enough to make it worthwhile for a Canon shooter to take the hit dumping a bunch of glass to switch. For a new shooter, there are good reasons to go with either system; the best option depends on the specifics of lens needs, etc. You could go with either Canon or Nikon at this point and have a successful career as a photographer limited more by one's creativity and vision than the equipment.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2009, 11:32:40 pm »

Do you have a citation to document this? My Google search results either cited the quote without any supporting evidence, or else claimed that there was no evidence to support that Bill actually said such a thing--that it was just an urban legend. I'd be interested in nailing down the controversy if possible.

The best source of information I've found is Microsoft's own MS-DOS Encyclopedia - Ray Duncan Gen Editor  ©1988

I know of no instance where this statement was attributed to Gates, nor anyone else.  Actually, MS was very excited about taking full advantage of the 16-bit architecture provide by the Intel 8086, actually developing a fully 16-bit stand alone version of basic.  It was the limitations imposed by IBM's chosen architecture, a 12bit FAT based file system, and the basic architecture of Tim Paterson's then 86-DOS that led MS to develop and submit MS-DOS to IBM in May of 1981.... (p:12-16)

One interesting outgrowth of this effort was the need to provide a method of translating exisiting 8-bit 8080 CPM code to the new platform (this was Paterson's real contribution).  Early users of DOS will no doubt be familar with .com programs - address space limited to one single 64k segment and .exe programs which could address all available memory.  MS has done an amazing job of continuing backward compatibility since (some would argue to it's detriment)......  A mindset that Apple never took on or bothered with.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up