Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 20D - Problem downloading via USB  (Read 2279 times)

Dinarius

Canon 20D - Problem downloading via USB
« on: November 15, 2004, 12:46:35 pm »

This is getting weirder!

I have connected the card reader to the USB port.

It has powered up fine.

But, when I open ZoomBrowser and click on Download Images, the images to be downloaded do not appear in the window.

If I go Start/My Computer/ and click on the card reader icon, ZoomBrowser also opens, but I can't see the images.

They are all clearly visible on the camera's screen - all 105 of them!

This has never happened before. Any ideas?

Help!

Thanks.

D.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 03:31:26 pm »

Buy a CF card reader and use it to download the photos. It will be much faster and more problem-free, and you won't have to tie up the camera while the images are downloading.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 05:02:45 pm »

As I wrote above, clicking on the card reader icon on my desktop opened ZoomBrowser. For some reason, I can't view the images, or download them, in ZoomBrowser.
Uninstall Zoombrowser and just use Windows explorer to copy the files.

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 02:14:08 am »

Ray,

Thanks for that.

I used to run a 10D on this machine and I think that its software was opening by default. i.e. ZoomBrowser.

I have deleted everything associated with Canon and made a clean installation of the 20D software.

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 11:52:02 am »

I am having a problem getting the USB download, from a Canon 20D, to work.

I am using XP Pro.

When I plug in the cable to the computer and the camera and then switch on the camera, the computer recognizes the camera, as per normal, and prompts me to open ZoomBrowser.

However, ZoomBrowser won't open. I get the following error message:

"The camera is busy and cannot respond. If the LCD monitor of the camera is turned on, turn it off. Click retry to try again, or click Cancel to disconnect the camera."

The LCD monitor is not on.

If I click cancel, ZoomBrowser opens fine. However, if I try File/Import Images, I get the same message as above.

I used to run a 10D on this machine. I loaded the 20D software on it the other day, without removing the 10D software. I got a few messages saying that certain programs were being updated. That was all.

I'm sure that this is simply solved. Probably something slightly different in the 20D. If I used the card reader I have no problem. But, for convenience, I'd like to travel only with the USB cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 02:14:30 pm »

Sorted!

For some reason, double clicking on the file icon for the card reader opens ZoomBrowser which does not allow me to view and download the files.

However, if I go Start/Canon/EOS Utilities 1.1, the images appear in the window and I can download and convert them.

Premumably, ZoomBroswser is opening because that is what I used with the 10D, but it doesn't seem to work with the 20D.

However, I still can't get the USB cable to work. Might be connected to the same 10D setup, perhaps?

Thanks anyway.

D.

Dinarius

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 03:58:45 pm »

Jonathan,

Thanks for that.

The thing is, I was having a problem with the card reader too.

As I wrote above, clicking on the card reader icon on my desktop opened ZoomBrowser. For some reason, I can't view the images, or download them, in ZoomBrowser.

I can only do this using EOSViewerUtility.

Does ZoomBrowser only work with the 10D?

I use hired digital cameras, so I don't have time for the subtleties of what's compatible with what! ;-)

D.

Ray

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:46:53 pm »

By Zoombrowser, I'm assuming you mean 'EOS Viewer Utilities'. I don't see the name ZoomBrowser on any software accompanying the 20D.

Having connected the camera to the USB socket on computer and turned the camera on, the first dialog box asks which application you want to use. Click 'cancel'. Open 'EOS Viewer Utility' and double click on camera icon, top left. A folder appears below icon. Keep clicking on folder (if necessary) and you'll see thumbnails of your RAW images appearing at lightning speed. This does not appear to be a full download, just a preview.

To get a full transfer of the RAW images into your computer, you need to drag and drop the folders containing the preview into another specified folder. The transfer then begins at a much slower speed, about 5 secs per image on my system.

This is a different arrangement to the 'Zoombrowser' that came with my D60 and had me a bit puzzled initially. (Truth be told, I was on the point of ringing someone up before I figured this out  :)  ).
Pages: [1]   Go Up