Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Scarlet  (Read 3223 times)

ixpressraf

Red Scarlet
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:59:08 am »

They have defenitely created the most ugly, unattractive and plastic fantastic looking camera of this millenium so far. It looks like those ugly american cars from the seventies and eighties/nineties that after some decades became beuatifull just because they are so ugly. Please let an european designer re-style that monster.....  

ASSEMBLY

• http://www.assemblystudio.net
Red Scarlet
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:29:23 am »

Quote from: ixpressraf
They have defenitely created the most ugly, unattractive and plastic fantastic looking camera of this millenium so far. It looks like those ugly american cars from the seventies and eighties/nineties that after some decades became beuatifull just because they are so ugly. Please let an european designer re-style that monster.....  

It certainly doesnt look like it would be all that comfortable to hand hold.  I dont know that it's actually meant to compete with DSLRs as all the specs listed are for video.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
Red Scarlet
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37:02 am »

The smaller Scarlet (2/3") is primarily digital cinema as the sensor is only 3k (around 5mp), but as with all the cameras in the range, the idea is parity of quality across the motion / stills divide. Current DSLRs that have video capabilities do so by vastly reducing the quality potential of their sensor to record the video. You can see this for yourself by shooting a video scene and without moving the camera, take a still. Match a frame from the video up with the still in photoshop and scale the still to fit. You'll notice a vastly superior image from the scaled still.

So, what you'd expect from the DSMC system is that if you did the same still / motion experiment, that 1) you'd not have to scale the still down to the size of the video because the video, being RAW from the sensor like shooting RAW stills, is the very same size, and 2) that the image quality of both stills and motion is practically identical.

Although the small Scarlet looks a bit tricky to hold, I think the shown picture is missing the modular handles that will make it so. There'll be more updates on that aspect as we go on.

Graeme

bcooter

Red Scarlet
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:51 am »

Quote from: Graeme Nattress
Although the small Scarlet looks a bit tricky to hold, I think the shown picture is missing the modular handles that will make it so. There'll be more updates on that aspect as we go on.

Graeme

Graeme,

It might work well, but do you get questions like "I didn't know Lego made a camera?".

HarryHoffman

• http://www.harrywhoffman.com
Red Scarlet
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 12:35:35 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Graeme,

It might work well, but do you get questions like "I didn't know Lego made a camera?".

It was on my list before I decided on the P40+
It will be quite a while before the 645 camera comes out and they are notoriously behind schedule.
I would guess at least a couple years before we have something capable of MF quality from them if ever. The video stuff they are doing is blowing the competition out of the water.

E_Edwards

Red Scarlet
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:22:02 pm »

Quote from: Graeme Nattress
Match a frame from the video up with the still in photoshop and scale the still to fit. You'll notice a vastly superior image from the scaled still.

Graeme

Graeme,

You are quite right about the quality of the video frames not being on a par with the same image shot on stills, on cameras like the 5D II, and I am so frustrated about this. They look OK on people and pretty, pretty video snaps, but for things like commercial products, they are rather useless. I shoot macro or 1:1 on subjects like jewelry or watches, and the quality with the 5D is just not enough for professional use (lots of awful alias and lack of definition, let alone almost no scope for density, contrast or color correction)) and I am longing to find a camera that will satisfy my demands that allows me to stick a good macro lens on. Enter the future Red, but what a wait!

Until this happens, I am wondering if one of the new Canon/Nikon cameras that will allow you to shoot 10 good jpg images per second with very low noise may work better (after joining and interpolation with Twixtor for instance) than the equivalent pedestrian 24 fps video. My guess is that it probably would, but what a hassle!

Edward

harlemshooter

Red Scarlet
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »

this camera will trounce the 5d2 in situations where camera panning/movement is necessary.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
Red Scarlet
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »

Or when you need things tack sharp and in-focus, or a wider dynamic range or higher resolution or....

Graeme

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Red Scarlet
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:57 pm »

Or when you need things tack sharp and in-focus, or a wider dynamic range or higher resolution or....

......but, if you need something now, or 6 months ago, or in 6 months from now then......

Mark
www.marktomalty.com

georgl

Red Scarlet
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 05:37:42 am »

RED ist not capable of true RAW as still photographers or cinematographers understand it. It's compressed (about 1:10) data without debayering.

You can get a 2/3"-camera from Ikonoskop (http://www.ikonoskop.com/dii/) which is capable of true RAW (and therefore a data rate of up to 210MB/s!) but it uses color interpolation - so no true 1080p. RED uses color interpolation, too but given the higher pixel count allows oversampling (4k/3k->1080p) - tests will show which compromise works better (oversampling or large pixel pitch).

RobertJ

Red Scarlet
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 07:25:09 am »

Quote from: SeanKarns
It certainly doesnt look like it would be all that comfortable to hand hold.  I dont know that it's actually meant to compete with DSLRs as all the specs listed are for video.

That's just the "brain" which doesn't include the attachable grip or handles used for photography or shooting motion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up