Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kodak 14n  (Read 3231 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
kodak 14n
« on: October 27, 2003, 01:16:37 am »

Kodak is now calling it a studio camera. If you need low-light, hi-resolution, low noise performance, the 1Ds is the the only real option available.

Hank

kodak 14n
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 12:13:36 pm »

Jake-

If you are using Nikon lenses, the Fuji S2 Pro is a terrific choice for wedding and portrait use, with strong capabilities in nature.  We use several in our studio, on location and asignment, as well as in our "nature" shooting.  24x36 enlargements- no problem.  We greatly anticipated the release of the 14n, but it simply isn't versatile enough for us.

Hank

Paul Caldwell

kodak 14n
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 03:05:47 pm »

The 14n at 400 vs the 1ds, thats a shoot off I would love to do.  My 1ds at 400 is way toooo noisy.  Many others have reported the same.  Whats so interesting is that unlike Kodak, Canon has done nothing i.e. firmware to help out.  They just choose to deny the issue exists, sounds like many others.  
The 1ds pulls way too much noise in the red channel which is unlike others that tend to pull the noise in the blue channel.  If you shoot an outdoor scenic with a deep blue sky and want a nice dark blue to the sky, be prepared for the noise and lot of it.  Often times I need 400 to pull a faster shutter speed to stop the motion of trees and such and with the 1ds its a major issue.
The cleanest camera I ever used at 400 was my old S2, amazingly clean even at 800, but it had its own image issues.

Where I know the 1ds will hands down outpreform the 14n is on longer exposures.  I realize that a newer firmware is coming to help out on this issue and so far Kodak as delivered on everything so far.

My one big issue with the 14n is simple, only on raw converter supports it, photodesk.  I like having more than one option as you do with the 1ds, (Canon, Adobe, Capture One, maybe Bibble someday. )

Paul Caldwell

Jake

kodak 14n
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 02:28:56 pm »

I have been following the kodak 14n since its intro. Where are we at with the 400 noise issue. I shoot weddings and portraits and do a lot of work in dim lit churches.

BJL

kodak 14n
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 11:32:52 am »

In more detail, Kodak now says, rather frankly:
"Probably the best, most intuitive application is portrait photography. The DCS Pro 14n is also an excellent choice for studio fashion, nature, high school senior/school, selected wedding, catalog, and groups photography - all of which do not deal with low-light conditions or require a higher (above 200) ISO setting. The least likely application is action or sports photography." --- http://www.kodak.com/global....8&lc=en

Others in this forum can probably comment on performance at intermediate ISO levels like 160 with the latest firmware.
Since Kodak briefly mentions "nature", I wonder how the 14n now rates for the sort of outdoor photography traditionally done with 35mm or medium format films of high resolution, fine grain and modest ISO?

John

kodak 14n
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 09:34:06 pm »

I have been using the 14n for many months now since March of 2003.  

One thing is certain.  The camera's performance has improved dramatically beyond what was available for early reviews.  The next version of firmware (available any day now) takes the camera to yet new levels, especially for long exposures.

The noise issues have improved dramatically,  ISO 400 is not where the camera performs.   If well exposed, you will get very good images at ISO 400 and given the high resolution, they print very well.   Also, I shoot a lot of candids at the 6 mpexel raw resolution, and here again the quality is very strong.  Below ISO 160, there is no other DSLR which provides the dymamic range, color and resolution of the 14n.  

The camera is now available in the $4,000 range.  A realy excellent value and a very good photographic tool.

Rent or borrow one and draw your own conclusions.  This is really the only approach which makes sense for a serious photographer.

John

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
kodak 14n
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 11:19:09 am »

My one big issue with the 14n is simple, only on raw converter supports it, photodesk.  I like having more than one option as you do with the 1ds, (Canon, Adobe, Capture One, maybe Bibble someday. )

Paul Caldwell
Hopefully, not too much of an issue, given how very good the latest, just-released, version of Photodesk is.

The 14n is not a 400 ISO camera.  Everyone presumably has now go the message that if you must shoot at high ISO, look elsewhere.  But up to 160 ISO, the 14n is a great tool for just about anything.

I have not had a chance to play aound with the latest firmware, but early reports suggest big improvements in long exposures, a number of other benefits, but no improvement in 400 ISO noise.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato
Pages: [1]   Go Up