Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Website Newb  (Read 8507 times)

Jeremy Payne

Website Newb
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 10:30:44 am »

Quote from: MichaelAmira
You say I'll have an admin section, but the folder they have given me is a lot of php files. From what I've learned so far, this seems like the basis of a webpage ... No explanation required. I have my vision.

Really sounds like you have it all under control!  

Please let us know when it is complete, I look forward to seeing the final product.

MichaelAmira

Website Newb
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 10:36:41 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Really sounds like you have it all under control!  

Please let us know when it is complete, I look forward to seeing the final product.

I sense sarcasm!  Thats ok. If not, thanks for the encouragement

Brad Proctor

Website Newb
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:48 am »

Hello again BProctor,

I just downloaded the wordpress.org software, this seems like it will be my solution. Thank you! Do I take their files they have given me and upload it to a webhost, thus enabling me to make the changes you speak speak of? You say I'll have an admin section, but the folder they have given me is a lot of php files. From what I've learned so far, this seems like the basis of a webpage.

Yes, you'll want to upload everything to your webhost. Here are instructions on installing it.  Once you get it installed you can get into the admin section by going to http://www.example.com/wp-admin/

Most stuff in there is fairly self explanatory once you get into it.  Don't be afraid to play around with stuff in the admin section either.  Worst case is you have to do the 5 minute install again.
Brad Proctor

LoisWakeman

Website Newb
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 11:23:55 am »

Do I take their files they have given me and upload it to a webhost, thus enabling me to make the changes you speak speak of? You say I'll have an admin section, but the folder they have given me is a lot of php files.
[edit] - I see Bradley got there first while I was composing this![/edit]
The PHP files are Wordpress - that is how it is implemented, as a series of server-side scripts running off the content in a MySQL database. You need a local development machine (ideally) and/or a production web host with PHP/MySQL support, and then to follow the installation instructions for the package. If all that is double dutch to you, you first need to understand how to install, run and maintain a Wordpress site. There is tons of documentation online. And once you have it how you want, remember, as I said earlier, that you need to keep the PHP files patched, as well as taking a regular database backup.

This confusion and technical complexity is why I suggested starting easy with a hosted solution while you get familiar with it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:26:06 am by LoisWakeman »

MichaelAmira

Website Newb
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 11:33:41 am »

I can't thank you both enough. I'm going to be installing the files on a hosting service later today. Any recommendations? wordpress.org reccomends the following:

http://wordpress.org/hosting/

I was thinking godaddy.com simply because I purchased my domain from them, and they seem to be extremely helpful on the telephone (I hit them with the same questions I asked you guys)

Thank you all.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Website Newb
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 03:28:30 am »

I can't thank you both enough. I'm going to be installing the files on a hosting service later today. Any recommendations? wordpress.org reccomends the following:

http://wordpress.org/hosting/

I was thinking godaddy.com simply because I purchased my domain from them, and they seem to be extremely helpful on the telephone (I hit them with the same questions I asked you guys)

Thank you all.

Check out Everyman's Guide to Wordpress via the link below...helped me a lot...details, simply, the procedure on how to set up the wordpress files before you upload to your host...

http://www.lucidgreen.net/webbybooth/?page_id=8

you can go with a standard hosting company like godaddy...there are lots of them...i did a lot of looking around before settling on a host...

if you don't need hand holding, take a look at http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net

you need to know the basics of uploading, php, etc...but it isn't too complicated if you have the time...i like nfsn because you only pay for the bandwidth you use, you don't pay a monthly fee, you put funds in your account as needed...I didn't like giving a company my credit card number so they could withdraw each month...check 'em out...

and lastly, there are tons of themes or skins out there for wordpress, free...if you want you can pay someone to customize a wordpress theme for you...give some time to that too...if you know exactly what you need up front it can save you some headaches down the line...

good luck with your venture...

M
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:31:43 am by momo2 »

MichaelAmira

Website Newb
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 10:48:42 am »

Thank you very much Momo,

I was having trouble with the Wordpress, but felt a little reluctant to come back here with more questions.

Thanks!

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Website Newb
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 11:02:56 am »

Thank you very much Momo,

I was having trouble with the Wordpress, but felt a little reluctant to come back here with more questions.

Thanks!

No problem, you are welcome...and wordpress.org or .com do have forums where you can ask questions...

I asked many there and also at nfs.n because my blog was being hosted there, that way specific problems of set up could be tackled by my hosting company...and there were several people there that knew wordpress much better than i did...

have fun...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up