Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: high speed sync  (Read 1501 times)

Keith_Fitz

high speed sync
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:46:23 pm »

Demo shoot today using Elinchrom Ranger and the Pocket Wizard FlexTT5, camera and exposure details, Canon 1ds mkiii, 24 f1.4, exposure 1/1250 f1.6 iso 50 in bright sunshine, ranger at full power 1200 watt

flash sync at 1/1250 anyone?

2nd image

1/1250 f8 iso 50
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:49:41 pm by Keith_Fitz »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

high speed sync
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:07:14 pm »

Quote from: Keith_Fitz
flash sync at 1/1250 anyone?

At anything faster than 1/320th second on my 1Ds3 I get partial blocking of the image (with pre-exposure timing adjustment), so I assume you are shooting at HS sync (=partial output level).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:08:19 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Keith_Fitz

high speed sync
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »

Hi Bart,
Yes you are correct, I'm using the HS sync, well it is the only way to get such high shutter speeds. There is a fall off in power but from what i have gathered in a few test shots there is still enough output to give a creative result, I need to do more testing and it is all guess work at the moment as light meters don't mean a thing when working in HS. But to have a studio flash syncing at 1/1250 and beyond is incredible. So far 1/800 is very safe, i'm just trying to push the boat as far as it will go.
cheers
keith

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
At anything faster than 1/320th second on my 1Ds3 I get partial blocking of the image (with pre-exposure timing adjustment), so I assume you are shooting at HS sync (=partial output level).

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

high speed sync
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:39 pm »

Quote from: Keith_Fitz
Hi Bart,
Yes you are correct, I'm using the HS sync, well it is the only way to get such high shutter speeds. There is a fall off in power but from what i have gathered in a few test shots there is still enough output to give a creative result, I need to do more testing and it is all guess work at the moment as light meters don't mean a thing when working in HS. But to have a studio flash syncing at 1/1250 and beyond is incredible. So far 1/800 is very safe, i'm just trying to push the boat as far as it will go.
cheers
keith

Ah, studio flash tends to generally have a longer/slower discharge curve, so that might be usable/optimisable at shorter exposure times than the Canon flashes ... The great thing is that the TT5 allows to fine-tune the pre-X-sync exposure time.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up