Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All in  (Read 2015 times)

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
All in
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:55:48 pm »

All in. All in is a gambling term.  Which obviously means that you put all your chips into the game and let fate and skill take you where it may.  In my mind, that is the only way to achieve absolute success in this world.   Being all in.

Clyde Butcher is all in.  Ansel was all in.

Being "all in" requires an amazing focus and belief in oneself.  Every profession has an example of it.    Most of us are "all in" with a foot on shore.  I respect those people that are "all in" with both feet in the boat.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:12:07 pm by gdwhalen »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
All in
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:47:22 am »

Quote from: gdwhalen
All in. All in is a gambling term.  Which obviously means that you put all your chips into the game and let fate and skill take you where it may.  In my mind, that is the only way to achieve absolute success in this world.   Being all in.

Clyde Butcher is all in.  Ansel was all in.

Being "all in" requires an amazing focus and belief in oneself.  Every profession has an example of it.    Most of us are "all in" with a foot on shore.  I respect those people that are "all in" with both feet in the boat.

Okay - I had heard that Ansel Adams taught piano lessons to pay bills. Certainly he didn't cover costs in the beginning just by selling $10 prints at the Yosemite lodge store.

Anyhow - what's keeping you from going "All in"?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:48:05 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Brad Proctor

All in
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:11:51 am »

I think that before you jump "all in" you have to take a realistic look at yourself and know what your strengths and weaknesses are.  Chances are, your photography skills are not the most important.  Personally, I know that I have a hard time dealing with people and my communications skills aren't that great so if I ever decided that I wanted to make photography my main source of income, this is an area I would have to improve on greatly.  The photographers I know are good at business first and photography second.
Brad Proctor

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
All in
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:40:54 am »

What do you mean by all-in? 100% living from photography or being driven by nothing but photography? I make a living with photography (100%) but there are others things that drive me as well.

About being better at business, I guess that does apply to me as well. Even for the work I do, I regularly do things that are not being considered artistic or would have been my choice when I don't need to make a living from it. I see a lot of photographers that have to work in other areas because they refuse to do assignments that would compromise their 'artistic integrity'. They cannot make a living from photography alone.  Is that what you mean with all-in?

Rob C

All in
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 05:19:52 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
What do you mean by all-in? 100% living from photography or being driven by nothing but photography? I make a living with photography (100%) but there are others things that drive me as well.

About being better at business, I guess that does apply to me as well. Even for the work I do, I regularly do things that are not being considered artistic or would have been my choice when I don't need to make a living from it. I see a lot of photographers that have to work in other areas because they refuse to do assignments that would compromise their 'artistic integrity'. They cannot make a living from photography alone.  Is that what you mean with all-in?

You have a point - but as I found myself in the latter category of doing what I believed in, you are perhaps incorrect suggesting that such people cannot make a living from photography alone: I did.

It sure wasn't easy, but you can still do well if a market actually exists for your preferred subject. Then, it becomes a matter of 'both feet in the water' - forget the boat or the shore and swim like hell. The thing is, if you really, really have such a strong desire, you will just do it anyway and no amount of planning, advice or other people's horror stories will make the slightest difference. In my own city, there were indeed other studios doing much more work and probably making much more money; most eventually dried up whilst I manged to hang on in, and even move abroad to a much better quality of life.

But, I suspect that most photographers have a limited period in their lives where it works out well, followed by decline brought about by changing market conditions and the fact that contacts move on into different lives too, and you don't always get taken along on the new ride.

If you don't have infinite belief in self, you get nowhere in this business.

Rob C

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
All in
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 05:54:03 am »

Quote from: Rob C
You have a point - but as I found myself in the latter category of doing what I believed in, you are perhaps incorrect suggesting that such people cannot make a living from photography alone: I did.

If you don't have infinite belief in self, you get nowhere in this business.

Rob C

You misread me, I certainly believe that some people can do so. I do . I love what I do and can make a living out of it but that doesn't mean there are sometimes things I do that I enjoy doing less. Doing these things does allow me to live the way I want to. I feel I have always done what I enjoy and switched to something else the moment I did not enjoy it anymore. Maybe my question is more, how rigid are you in doing just whatever you like? I don't know, I just see a lot of young photographers that are so into their art that it is very hard for them to make a living with what they want to do most because there are so many things they don't want to do.

Some I know are now driving taxis or work in offices to be able to live. I much rather photograph 300 pieces of garment in my own time and pace to make a living than sitting behind some desk.

Currently if you want to get anywhere in this business you truly do need to have belief in yourself. Competition is stiff and there are lots of people that are willing to work for nothing (in all areas photography related). I wish I were the great artist that can do just the way he likes or wants, truth is I cannot. I need to be good in business and deliver what my clients want. I must admit I don't mind and overall really enjoy what I do.

I guess we all just try to do what we like in the way we feel most appropriate..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:15:37 am by Dustbak »
Pages: [1]   Go Up