Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monopod / walking stick  (Read 9258 times)

bradf

Monopod / walking stick
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »

Hello again,
I have a tripod which I rarely feel like carrying.
A monopod seems like an attractive thought - but going to the effort of taking it for a walk in the bush makes me think it would be nice if you could have a combined walking stick and monopod. Do they make such things and has anyone used it ?
Thanks again for all your good advice,
bradf

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Monopod / walking stick
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:28:19 am »

Well, you can find walking sticks that have a tripod screw at the top, but generally walking sticks aren't designed to be sturdy and they're not very long.  If you go with a monopod like the Gitzo 1588 or the Manfrotto 334B for example you'll get stability and a longer monopod, but they're heavier and bulkier than a walking stick.  Still, they're only a couple of pounds, and you can mount a head like the RRS BH-25 or BH-40 on top.  The other issue is cost.  Monopods are a lot more expensive than walking sticks.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Monopod / walking stick
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:31:13 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
The other issue is cost.  Monopods are a lot more expensive than walking sticks.

for a monopod to be a good walking stick means you want it to be light... where cost increases exponentially.

francois

Monopod / walking stick
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:45:00 am »

Michael reviewed the Manfrotto685B monopod ( http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...s/monopod.shtml ) but it can't really be considered as a walking stick. But you might want to look into real walking poles like the LEKI Sierra ( REI Link: http://www.rei.com/product/767063 ) and similar designs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:45:39 am by francois »
Francois

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Monopod / walking stick
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:07:06 am »

Someone bought me a walking stick-monopod for Christmas about 10 years ago.  I used it once.  

While I do use trekking poles for backpacking, I don't use a walking stick (the tripod is still with me, strapped to the backpack).  For day hikes, I don't really know what the advantage is of a monopod over a tripod.  Sure it's a bit lighter, but is it really that much easier to carry?

Trekking poles with a tripod screw might make sense if you had a light camera, but I would get a pair.  There's one here  REI Trekking Poles but I'm not sure how you select another pole that mates up to it.

Regardless, if you want to try it I think it would be more functional to use a monopod as a walking stick vs. using a walking stick as a monopod.

Dave

Oops, just noticed Francois posted almost the same link I did...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:08:46 am by dchew »

francois

Monopod / walking stick
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:17:42 am »

Quote from: dchew
Someone bought me a walking stick-monopod for Christmas about 10 years ago.  I used it once.  

While I do use trekking poles for backpacking, I don't use a walking stick (the tripod is still with me, strapped to the backpack).  For day hikes, I don't really know what the advantage is of a monopod over a tripod.  Sure it's a bit lighter, but is it really that much easier to carry?

Trekking poles with a tripod screw might make sense if you had a light camera, but I would get a pair.  There's one here  REI Trekking Poles but I'm not sure how you select another pole that mates up to it.

Regardless, if you want to try it I think it would be more functional to use a monopod as a walking stick vs. using a walking stick as a monopod.

Dave

Oops, just noticed Francois posted almost the same link I did...
Dave,
While I use trekking poles when hiking in the Alps, I've never used a walking stick. I either take my Gitzo tripod or  shoot hand-held.
I agree with you, a walking stick might work for a small & light camera. For heavier stuff, Gitzo offers monopods that can be used as walking sticks (ex: http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/monopods/?code=GM2341 ).
Francois

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Monopod / walking stick
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 08:26:27 am »

The Leki which francois mentions (link above) comes with a camera mounting screw (image from link):

You'll want to put a ballhead on it.  In my very limited experience with a similar pole, a ballhead + QR plate made the stick much less useful for walking (but turned it into a functioning monopod).  There is also the consideration of carrying your camera on the stick/pod (depends on camera, distance, terrain, shooting style, etc.).

The NeoTec monopod (also mentioned and linked above) is more battering ram than walking stick.  It's heavy, very solidly built, and has a grip that is oversized for my hands (small man's, large woman's).  I think of it as a great "city-pod".  You carry it -- you don't walk with it, much less trek.  It is highly recommended as a monopod (B&H reviews).

I just recently looked into a number of combination walking sticks/monopods (all under 150 USD).  Nothing (in that price range) met both functions well, in my opinion and the opinions of the many reviews I read.  Understandably, it depends on what your needs and intended uses are.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:30:58 am by KirbyKrieger »
Pages: [1]   Go Up