Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Part 2: "Becoming A Great Arch. Photographer  (Read 123718 times)

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
Part 2: "Becoming A Great Arch. Photographer
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2009, 01:10:20 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I want a cool, small car!  Maybe I should rethink my lighting....

i think you should! as it is your environmental foot print is huge already
just to throw some fuel on the fire for my reasons to not use lights or sparingly!!
wink wink nudge nudge!

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2009, 01:33:16 pm »

Test drove the Prius, 2010, yesterday.
Quite surprizing - I liked it.

Folded down the back seats, put all of my Kiteboarding gear in the back - 9 meter kite, 12 meter kite, board, harness, two fold up beach chairs, backpack with wet suit and other junk in it.  Plenty of room.

If it holds all of that, and considering my eye (and initial equipment budget) leans in the direction of the European Style (few lights) I'm wondering if the Prius would work.

Heck, when fuel prices crest over $4.00 a gallon, at least I'd be able to afford to drive to the shoot site!

Anyone using the Prius?

UPDATE:
Was researching on web "cost to replace Prius batteries" and found Prius Owners web site.  Quite a few saying that around 110K miles batteries failed and frequently the 2 computers.  Cost to replace batteries is $3700-4000 and the computers run $2750 to replace!!

Considering fuel at $4.00/gal, driving 12,000 miles, Prius getting 47mpg would cost $957/year to feed.
Honda Element, FJ Cruiser or like getting 20mpg would cost $2250.
That's a savings of $1,293/year.

Now, if you put 110,000 miles on it with an average fuel cost over that mileage of say, oh $4.50/gallon, savings is $11,848.
Considering you can almost plan on the battery/computers failing per the posts on the referenced web site, that's a savings of $5,098.
Hmmmmm, not bad BUT as you get up in the mileage seems the resale of the car is going to have to factor in that probable expense.

Jack
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:19:39 pm by Lust4Life »

pixjohn

« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2009, 02:13:02 pm »

C1 5 allow you to correct any amount of vignetting? Using the built in Leaf gain adjuster shooting tethered sucks, it picks the % of lens falloff it will correct. I have been so frustrated for years with the Leaf software.

P.S. Honda Pilot. Fully packed allows 2 assistants and myself.

Quote from: CBarrett
Yes, the LCC is a given.  It's just become part of my bracket.  I usually shoot one in the middle of my bracket so I always know which shot it belongs to.  What I love about CO 5 is that the LCC correction now also corrects for vignetting.  When shooting a DSLR, however, using LCC is greyed out, not even an option.  I believe the AA filter may take care of LCC in dslr/ts lens combos but not sure.

This is not part of the White Balancing but a calibration file to record color shift across the sensor. You would still typically need to shoot a WB separately.

-C
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:47:30 pm by pixjohn »

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »

OK, I've considered all the camera options and as a function of economics and operating ease, along with Rainer's comments that the Canon is not a compromise, I selling off my Hassie gear and going Canon for this new venture.

Now, as I'm used to the outstanding quality of a Hassie 39MP array, I want to be sure I'm getting the best image possible from an SLR.
Going Canon due to their 17mm - hoping to shoot a lot of high end condos here in S. FL I'll be in needing a wider lens and the 17 seems to fit the needs.

Thus, the question boils down to the 1DsMkIII or the 5D Mk II.
Looks like the 5D Mk II has a greater D-Max, but many reviews I've read claim they prefer the saturation and color tone of the 1Ds MkIII.

As the SLR route is dramatically less costly than the MFDB route, the cost of a 1Ds MkIII does not deter me IF it will provide an image closer to what I'm used to (Yes, I know it won't be able to compete against the Hassie file).  

However, if uses in AP work are finding the images to be indistinguishable from each other, well I'll take the least expensive route and spend the extra money on Haagen-dazs!

Comments and guidance appreciated.

Jack
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:36:07 pm by Lust4Life »

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2009, 07:02:30 pm »

Jack, You should have both.  There are at least two reasons, the first is the 5DMk2 as a backup for the 1DSMk3 in case one camera goes down on a job.  But more important is the option to set up a couple of cameras and shoot two views during a sunset or sunrise.  It's not unusual for me to set up 4-5 cameras for exteriors.  I agree on the Canon choice, I still shoot alot with my P45 but that 17mm T/S is phenominal!  Jim

Huib

• http://www.huibnederhof.nl
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2009, 05:03:24 am »

One warning with the TSE17mm.
The lens is only f4. To get a really sharp image you have to zoom in 10x with every shot with live view to have a good sharpness  control! Or use f11 or smaller
----------
[url=http://www.huibnederhof.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2009, 05:26:10 am »

Double post.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:32:46 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2009, 05:30:59 am »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
Jack, You should have both.  There are at least two reasons, the first is the 5DMk2 as a backup for the 1DSMk3 in case one camera goes down on a job.  But more important is the option to set up a couple of cameras and shoot two views during a sunset or sunrise.  It's not unusual for me to set up 4-5 cameras for exteriors.  I agree on the Canon choice, I still shoot alot with my P45 but that 17mm T/S is phenominal!  Jim
I agree, although only still having just one 5dmk2, cause i didnt used it that often till the new lenses arrived in my bag. I will buy a second 5d too, in cases where i'll use the canon as main system. And as you say sometimes its usefull to setup more than just one body. I personally dont like the huge 1ds bodies, i prefer the 5d for weight and price. I dont believe that the "s" quality of the files is any better.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2009, 09:48:21 pm »

OK, the Canon 5D II and the 17mm TS-E and 24mm TS-E II lenses are purchased - should have them by Friday.

I downloaded the comparison files of the 5D II and the 1Ds Mk III from this site:
http://www.artbyphil.com/phfx/photography/...view/index.html

In examining both, and then processing the RAW files myself, I actually preferred the image from the 5D II.

Now to build a portfolio of AP examples using the TS-E lenses, then get out there and start walking the streets promoting my "talents".

Thanks to all for feedback and sharing - these three topics on AP will prove to be valuable to anyone considering it as a career!
I know I'll be re-reading them many times in the future.

Jack

Quote from: rainer_v
I agree, although only still having just one 5dmk2, cause i didnt used it that often till the new lenses arrived in my bag. I will buy a second 5d too, in cases where i'll use the canon as main system. And as you say sometimes its usefull to setup more than just one body. I personally dont like the huge 1ds bodies, i prefer the 5d for weight and price. I dont believe that the "s" quality of the files is any better.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:26:48 am by Lust4Life »

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2009, 10:44:33 pm »

Good luck with your new career and lets hope your new kit will do the trick.
Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

stewarthemley

« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:16 am »

I'm looking forward to part 4. Title suggestions, anyone?

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2009, 05:39:21 am »

Quote from: stewarthemley
I'm looking forward to part 4. Title suggestions, anyone?

I've been thinking about that -
What do you wish someone had told you in the beginning?
What was the biggest mistake/s you have made SO FAR in your career, and how did you resolve it.

Thought?
Jack
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:42:42 am by Lust4Life »

marc gerritsen

« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2009, 06:06:21 am »

Quote from: Lust4Life
I've been thinking about that -
What do you wish someone had told you in the beginning?
What was the biggest mistake/s you have made SO FAR in your career, and how did you resolve it.

Thought?
Jack

number 4 should put 1, 2 and 3 to bed and be our perpetual architecture and interior photography forum
it was all good and well to have those 3 parts but it got a bit confusing in the end, where to post what
there is no other forum that is so much frequented by architecture and interior shooters as this one
so let's make number 4 an all open one
cheers
m

JoeKitchen

« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2009, 06:25:21 am »

If you will be shooting tethered to your computer with the 5D, then I recommend you buy the DC coupler with enables you to plug the camera into an outlet.  When shooting tethered the computer keeps the camera from sleeping and, therefore, if you are using a battery, your battery with run out fairly quickly.  

Have to agree with Marc for #4
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

PeterA

« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2009, 08:24:12 am »

I have to say gentlemen - this series and this particular thread has been a very interesting read - thanks to all.

As an aside - why not ask Mr MR for an Architectural Forum in its own right? Who cares what format chip you are using - the genre is the thing.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2009, 10:36:42 am »

Quote from: PeterA
I have to say gentlemen - this series and this particular thread has been a very interesting read - thanks to all.

As an aside - why not ask Mr MR for an Architectural Forum in its own right? Who cares what format chip you are using - the genre is the thing.

Think I'll do it myself - had a software company, why not set up a forum for AP's?

I have just registered a domain for it and need feedback as to whether there would be an interest in carrying these discussions further and having a site strictly for AP discussions.

Domain I choose is nakedlightarchitecture.com  - will be open to all aspects of AP - with and w/o light approaches.
I would want it to be a showcase for works and opinions from around the world.
I'd also want it to be a site architects found of interest, and thus it could serve the purpose of being a link between AP photographers and the clients.

AP photographer could put up a collection of their representative work, by category, for architects to review.

Have a lot of ideas but would like feedback on the need for such.

Jack

marc gerritsen

« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2009, 03:59:33 pm »

Quote from: Lust4Life
Think I'll do it myself - had a software company, why not set up a forum for AP's?

I have just registered a domain for it and need feedback as to whether there would be an interest in carrying these discussions further and having a site strictly for AP discussions.

Domain I choose is nakedlightarchitecture.com  - will be open to all aspects of AP - with and w/o light approaches.
I would want it to be a showcase for works and opinions from around the world.
I'd also want it to be a site architects found of interest, and thus it could serve the purpose of being a link between AP photographers and the clients.

AP photographer could put up a collection of their representative work, by category, for architects to review.

Have a lot of ideas but would like feedback on the need for such.

Jack

allthough I like the idea it might backfire, this is where we hang out with all of the other commercial photographers
so possibly you could lose a lot of us
when this AP threat becomes "larger then life" you could always re-consider

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2009, 06:08:06 pm »

I'm thinking along the same lines. I really don't have time to monitor another forum. Between the Large Format Photography Forum (where I am a moderator), LL and my blog, I am about tapped out for computer surfing time and interest.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »

Quote from: Kirk Gittings
I'm thinking along the same lines. I really don't have time to monitor another forum. Between the Large Format Photography Forum (where I am a moderator), LL and my blog, I am about tapped out for computer surfing time and interest.

Why not just ask Michael whether we can get our own small part here ? I think that would be a great solution.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2009, 06:29:27 pm »

I agree,  best to keep it in the LL family

Quote from: Christopher
Why not just ask Michael whether we can get our own small part here ? I think that would be a great solution.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up