Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beautyflex  (Read 4169 times)

MikePike

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael-hibberd/
Beautyflex
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:11 am »

I have just obtained a Beautyflex from the early 50's and wondered if anyone has used one before and has any advice? Before I dive in...

'He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man'

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Beautyflex
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:51:44 am »

Quote from: MikePike
I have just obtained a Beautyflex from the early 50's and wondered if anyone has used one before and has any advice? Before I dive in...

I can not advise on it's use because I have no idea what it is. I am intrigued about it though. Can you tell me more.

Kevin.
Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Beautyflex
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:55:47 am »

Quote from: KevinA
I can not advise on it's use because I have no idea what it is. I am intrigued about it though. Can you tell me more.

Kevin.
Ok Google found it for me. Have you used a TLR before?

Kevin.
Kevin.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Beautyflex
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:27 pm »

I'd be glad to help, although I've never heard of Beautyflex, I have a Mamiya C220 which is a TLR as well. I'm also considering buying another TLR.

You have to be a bit more specific with what kind of advice you're looking for, though...

MikePike

Beautyflex
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:35:46 am »

Hi guys, thanks. The 'Beautyflex' is indeed a TLR, from the late 40's/early 50's.
But nope never used one. I think like the shots they produce so want to give it a go..branching out and all that.
I understand the 2 lens thing, I think? Focus I hear is a little difficult perhaps? And I can view the image continually?
The film is 120mm, is this normal?

I like the idea of portraits and also photographing old buildings specifically with this little 'Beauty'..

Cheers peeps!  

feppe

Beautyflex
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:37:19 pm »

Hi guys, thanks. The 'Beautyflex' is indeed a TLR, from the late 40's/early 50's.
But nope never used one. I think like the shots they produce so want to give it a go..branching out and all that.
I understand the 2 lens thing, I think? Focus I hear is a little difficult perhaps? And I can view the image continually?
The film is 120mm, is this normal?

I like the idea of portraits and also photographing old buildings specifically with this little 'Beauty'..

Cheers peeps!

Yeah, the upper lens is the viewing lens, and the lower lens is the taking lens. You focus viewing downwards on the ground glass - and the view is reversed left-to-right which takes a while to get used to. Otherwise focus should be easy, depending on the condition of the ground glass.

The beauty (!) of a TLR is that it indeed doesn't break the viewing when the shutter is released. That way you'll see if the subject closes her eyes when you take the shot. Many people also really like the waist-level viewfinder.

The main point to keep in mind is the parallax error: since the viewing lens is 2-3 inches higher than the taking lens, the image on the film will be shifted accordingly. Some newer TLRs have markings on the ground glass, and some of the more sophisticated even have automatic parallax correction by shifting the viewing lens on a rail. You can buy a paramender for the Mamiya Cxxx series for tripod use, but I doubt it would work with the Beautyflex since it's sensitive to the distance between the lenses.

You probably mean 120 medium format film, not 120mm - it's most likely 6x6cm. It also might take 220, but I'd google that to check.

TLRs are robust, compact and still perfectly usable cameras, I think you'll enjoy it!

On a related note, I have pictures taken with the Mamiya C220 on my site.

MikePike

Beautyflex
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:29:50 am »

Nice pics Feppe, suprisingly clean actually..

Will source me some film and come back with a result!

Cheeeeers!

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Beautyflex
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:43:25 am »

Cheeeeers!

The general  rule with TLR's is to check the focus is working, the two lenses should be moving in and out in the same plane. Loading film, without seeing inside it's difficult to advise.
Very simple cameras are TLR's that's why they are so reliable.

Kevin.
Kevin.

feppe

Beautyflex
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 03:36:31 pm »

Cheeeeers!

Missed this post - thank you

I was shocked as well, the big print is stunning and tack sharp at nose-length. And it's not even a drum scan.

The camera is probably from the mid-seventies, but produces results which are better than most cameras these days (not going to sneak any further into that minefield). The quality of the glass is important - mine has a flawless multi-coated lens. I've heard TLRs and other older cameras with uncoated lenses have poor contrast (though sometimes desirable for the vintage look) and are prone to suffer from flare.

Quote from: KevinA
The general  rule with TLR's is to check the focus is working, the two lenses should be moving in and out in the same plane. Loading film, without seeing inside it's difficult to advise.

There's only one TLR I know which has uncoupled lenses, the Gowlandflex which has parallax-correction built-in (!), but it is of course possible that the lenses have been moved off-plane on an older camera.

I've heard one way to check focus is accurate is by opening the back, attaching a flat piece of translucent grease paper where the film plane goes, and eyeball that with a high-contrast target. Never tried it myself, but might work.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:43:03 pm by feppe »
Pages: [1]   Go Up