Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical Cameras with integrated sliding back: why not?  (Read 7945 times)

DanielStone

Technical Cameras with integrated sliding back: why not?
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:57:42 am »

I was looking through ALPA's discontinued products the other day, and I noticed that they had they had the SST still up.

I was hooked. Now, I'm just a humble photo student, not even at the beginning of his career yet, but I must say; I was lusting very badly  

having considered the digital world from capture to output (I'm still mainly with m/f and l/f film), its just too expensive right now to get in.

Then I figured, why didn't they continue with this? I mean, so many people use technical cameras, I have a friend who uses a P25+ with a A12max and SWA for shooting architecture. He loves it! But he's complained to me multiple times of wanting a sliding back, so he can focus(well, rough focus) on the g/g, and just slide the back in to shoot it. He uses film still on occasion, and it would be a treat to do it like this, compose, and slide in your 6x9 film back and shoot.

it is bukly, I'll give it that. and probably more cumbersome than some(probably most) people would want.

but I'd bet it would have people buying it. even if it was a special order item.

and to me, its a very nice looking camera, my opinion

here's some pics so you can see

http://www.alpa.ch/image.php?file=images/p...mp;output=thumb

any ideas? any future products that might be like this?

-Dan

PdF

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:04:39 am »

<<any ideas? any future products that might be like this?>>

The Sinar arTec !

PdF
PdF

tho_mas

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:06:19 am »

Quote from: DanielStone
any ideas?
Sinar ArTec

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 04:06:50 am »

but I don't believe the artec can take film backs, or am I wrong?

6x7(rb67) or 6x9 roll film backs are what I'd be most interested in.

I looked at the cambo wide ds, they're nice. And they can shoot 4x5 too. and I guess it would be possible to get one and put a phase sliding back onto it. anyone done this?

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:14:51 am »

6x7(rb67) or 6x9 roll film backs are what I'd be most interested in.

I looked at the cambo wide ds, they're nice. And they can shoot 4x5 too. and I guess it would be possible to get one and put a phase sliding back onto it. anyone done this?

if u buy the artec with the hassy v adapter you should be able to mount filmbacks with 4,5x6cm size.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:31:51 am »

Quote from: rainer_v
if u buy the artec with the hassy v adapter you should be able to mount filmbacks with 4,5x6cm size.

Well now if SInar would get it and offer the artec in Phase/Mam mount so that we could actually use it...

For the rest, I think there is none, because there is no real need. Making such a camera for film, is a waste of money. You would never sell enough. Making it for digital, the question starts, how much does it makes sense ? I haven't tried the artec, but with larger cameras that have a ballow, focusing isn't made any easier. For smaller cameras like the WRS-100 or similar, it would just make them bulky.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:36:21 am by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ThierryH

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 04:45:25 am »

Dear Daniel,

Yes, of course you can use film on the arTec:

http://www.sinarcameras.com/site/index__ga...19-50-2158.html

"With the Sinar arTec HB-V also film photography is possible using a Hasselblad type A12 or A16  Roll film magazine. An appropriate mechanism allows for the film advance."

Best regards,
Thierry

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35:38 am »

Most view cameras do take sliding backs.
 For the "pancake" cameras, i think the Arca Rm3D takes it's Rotaslide and the Silvestri Bicam also has an optional sliding back.
These are not integrated/fixed, but can be replaced by a simple mount for handheld shooting (or live-view)

Tom

ThierryH

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:44:00 am »

Quote from: tom_l
Most view cameras do take sliding backs.
 For the "pancake" cameras, i think the Arca Rm3D takes it's Rotaslide and the Silvestri Bicam also has an optional sliding back.
These are not integrated/fixed, but can be replaced by a simple mount for handheld shooting (or live-view)

Tom

I don't know the price for the Arca, respectively for the Silvestri including the "sliding back", but there is certainly a cost factor to be aware of: the arTec has the sliding back integrated and part of the camera price.

Best regards,
Thierry
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:02:11 am by ThierryH »

BJNY

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:46 am »

Thierry,

Thank you for answering here, and my Sinar-related question privately.

You are a valuable resource.

Billy
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:32:10 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

ThierryH

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 06:35:01 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Thierry,

Thank you for answering here, and my Sinar-related question privately.

You are a valuable resource.

Billy

Thank you Billy!

Much appreciated. Sinar has always been and still is my passion, as a product.

Best regards,
Thierry

schaubild

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 06:53:57 am »

The Alpa ST/SST were only prototypes and were never produced.

Today it's quite obvious that, when calibration differences of 1/100th of a millimeter are visible in image files, anything that moves makes a camere less precise. And the friction-type bearing that's used by some manufacturers (Sinar, Cambo, Arca-France) is not known to be resistant enough against abrasion to guarantee precision in extreme conditions and over a long time. Fcusing/framing on their tiny groundglasses is no fun anyway. Really precise working with this type of camera normally requires live view and a tethered laptop. I'd prefer something that doesn't move and stays that way.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:13:07 am by schaubild »

ThierryH

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 07:12:48 am »

Quote from: schaubild
The Alpa ST/SST were only prototypes and were never produced.

Today it's quite obvious that, when calibration differences of 1/100th of a millimeter are visible in image files, anything that moves makes a camere less precise. And the friction-type bearing that's used by some manufacturers (Sinar, Cambo, Arca-France) is not known to be resistant enough against abrasion to guarantee precision in extreme conditions and over a long time. Fcusing/framing on their tiny groundglasses is no fun anyway. Really precise working with this type of camera normally requires a live view and a tethered laptop. I'd prefer something that doesn't move and stays that way.

Schaubild,

Again, I don't know about others, but Sinar cameras are built and designed for digital accuracy (p3, arTec), including the "bearings". So far, and coming from field reports, I didn't hear from any customer complaining about long-time and extreme use conditions. I would even claim that it is the opposite, having seen Rainer working with his arTec like one works with a tool (a tool it should be) and not taking special care of it, this after more than 1 1/2 years use of it.

In addition, cameras should be serviced, from time to time, and the nice part of a Sinar camera is that they can always be re-adjusted to their initial and factory tolerances.

Best regards,
Thierry
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:17:10 am by ThierryH »

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 08:47:49 am »

I use a Linhof 679cs with a sliding back. It's a reasonable choice for urban based architectural work, but I wouldn't want to transport it anywhere I couldn't get to with a rolling case and a nearby car park.

The sliding back's sometimes a bit bulky for interiors, and by the time you add in an Arca bino viewer plus an eye level viewer (plus unclipping these for loupe focusing because neither is more than a compositional device) then you're looking at a serious price, slow working, and yet more volume to be transported.

One further thing, even in city streets I sometimes find the sliding back can "flutter" in a wind, I wouldn't like to hoist the "sliding back spinnaker" in a gale on a hill top!

Sliding backs are like most photographic kit, it may look gorgeous in the catalogue or dealer's window, but practical usage often tells a more sober story!

Jeffreytotaro

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 10:08:17 am »

I'm more comfortable with fewer moving parts, no sliding back, no tilt/swing, on a digital set-up.  Film is a bit more forgiving so maybe thats why they had the sliding option - just for film.
SWA & MAX
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 11:03:49 am »

I was told Alpa concluded a sliding back couldn't be made to their tolerances. They are a company I wouldn't 2nd guess.

There are reports of Arca's RotaSlide being unsuitable (not rigid enough) for digital backs. There is a recent thread here from JdeV (?) who echoes that.

I had the ground glass when I started using the Alpa but quickly realized it was too small to be useful. At that time I would have wanted a sliding back had they made one, in hindsight I realize it's unnecessary.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:06:09 am by asf »

Mr. Rib

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 11:13:49 am »

In context of my next investment - P3 or Linhof M679CS- I always wondered how do they build a sliding back which meets digital back calibration tolerance in terms of focal plane distance, which for instance oscillates between +/- 20 microns for P45+. It's a mechanic device, it moves.. In some cases (like Kapture Group sliding back) there are 8 possible positions of the back, not to mention sliding function. If it operates flawlessly, it would justify the price tag around $2.5k. I wonder if it does though.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 11:47:10 am »

the artec works simply perfect i.m.o. and its my opinion too that together with the exposure batch correction of the white files its the only fast, transportable and reliable workflow out there in the market. but thats my personal opinion, although based on much experience now.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

DanielStone

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 11:51:20 am »

is no one out there using a cambo wide ds?

I'd imagine that using one in conjunction with a phase sliding back might work? or are the 'tolerances' not good enough for that in particular sliding back?

-Dan

Mr. Rib

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 12:12:39 pm »

Is there any sliding  "Stitching" Back Adapter precise enough to be used with 39+ mp digital back? Any opinions on Kapture Group "QUADSTITCH" product?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up