Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuehle Photo Rag with Epson 4000  (Read 1135 times)

rkissinger

Hahnemuehle Photo Rag with Epson 4000
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:57:44 pm »

Hi!

I just received a box of Hahnemühle Photo Rag 188 paper, which I ordered after having seen so many recommendations for it on the web.

My Epson Stylus Pro 4000 has been used with Epson papers (Velvet FA, Enhanced Matte etc.) and Ilford papers with the respective ICC profiles over the years. I am familiar with the color management processes and soft-proofing (went through the Camera2Print tutorial as well) and haven´t experienced any big problems printing with the printer for the last 5 years.

But  with the Hahnemühle Paper I just won´t get any decent results. I  am using the profile by Hahnemühle, which is still available on their site.  Even when soft-proofing the image looks terribly washed out and lacking of saturation. Adjustments on the soft proof have to be more extreme than ever necessary with other papers and still are not getting anywhere near to the target image.

When I printed the first image, I thought I accidently printed on the back-side of the sheets, but that wasn´t the case.

So, what could I have been missing with the Hahnemühle paper?

One potential issue I see is, that the only information on the Hahnemühle website regarding the print driver settings is "Velvet fine art paper; quality: high". Whatever "high" is supposed to be, I set the resolution to 1440. But I kind of doubt that the alteration of the print driver settings would get as dramatic improvements as needed when viewing the soft-proof, let alone the final print.

I know this is a tough question, but does anyone have any experience with the Photo Rag/ 4000 combo?

Kind regards,
René

PS: Maybe the Snow Leopard issues are not the only reason to upgrade my printer rather than my Mac ;->. Just talking myself into that.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up