Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 - Match Print Colors vs Soft Proof (Proof Colors)  (Read 3783 times)

kjkahn

CS4 - Match Print Colors vs Soft Proof (Proof Colors)
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:03:22 am »

Using a custom printer profile, when I check Match Print Colors in the Print dialog box, the preview closely matches the print. However, the image in the CS4 workspace (with Proof Colors checked) looks like the print preview with Match Print Colors unchecked. The main difference is that the Proof Colors image is brighter than the print preview or actual print. I have the same profile selected in each case. How can I get the Proof Colors view to match the Print dialog preview? I've carefully checked all settings.

Ken

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:10:16 am »

You may not find this a helpful answer because it doesn't solve the appearance gap you mention, but more fundamentally, why bother? If you are soft-proofing your image in Photoshop and the print which emerges from your printer is consistnetly a good match to what you see in Photoshop's main image window (not the print preview) on your colour-managed display, why bother with the appearance in the Print Preview window? It's not doing anything to interfere with the quality and predictability of your results, is it?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

kjkahn

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:40:29 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
You may not find this a helpful answer because it doesn't solve the appearance gap you mention, but more fundamentally, why bother? If you are soft-proofing your image in Photoshop and the print which emerges from your printer is consistnetly a good match to what you see in Photoshop's main image window (not the print preview) on your colour-managed display, why bother with the appearance in the Print Preview window? It's not doing anything to interfere with the quality and predictability of your results, is it?
The print matches what I see in the Print Preview window, not what I see in Photoshop's main image window. Naturally, I'd prefer it the other way around.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:08:39 pm »

OK, sorry, I thought it was the other way around. I would suggest forgetting about the Print Preview box in the Print dialog and focus on the reasons for which the Photoshop main window view and the print do not match. We'd need to know more about your colour management settings for the display, Photoshop and your printer in order to help.

kjkahn

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:46:02 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS
OK, sorry, I thought it was the other way around. I would suggest forgetting about the Print Preview box in the Print dialog and focus on the reasons for which the Photoshop main window view and the print do not match. We'd need to know more about your colour management settings for the display, Photoshop and your printer in order to help.
Mark,

Thanks for your help. It looks like I just went too long since last profiling my monitor. I just did it and there seems to be a larger increase in brightness than I ever noticed before and a much better match now. It must be getting old. I've been thinking about a new one anyway.

Ken

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:25:03 pm »

Ken, glad to hear you nailed the problem. If it's an older CRT, it is probably into its decline phase now, and within months of intensive use you will find yourself in the market for a good quality photographic LCD display. For exacting photographic requirements, even the better CRTs of yesteryear seldom had more than three years of useful life in them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up