Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One- noisy images  (Read 9356 times)

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Capture One- noisy images
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:35:28 am »

I am using C1 4.8.3 as my raw converter for my Canon 5D. I recently notice quite a lot of noise in the
shadow areas of my recent images. For a minute, I thought there was something wrong with my sensor that I had recently cleaned.

I went back and opened the images in ACR and there wasn't any noise where I had seen it in the C1 processed images.

What gives?! What am I doing wrong in C1? The images were properly exposed and there were no changes in exposure ect.  

help!
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

stewarthemley

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:56:08 am »

I know you stated your problem was with C1 but had a similar problem with LR (essentially the same as ACR) and noisy images from a 5D2 at high ISO, anything above 1600. I tried Raw Developer and it was far better. You could try a free demo download to see if it's any better. (As it's fashionable to state full disclosure - I have no connection with RD other than as a satisfied user!)

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:23:45 pm »

C1 4 adds a lot of sharpening by default, have you tried reducing this or turning it off?

Obviously sharpening enhances noise, so if you are going to do some NR work on images, I would avoid any sharpening, or keep it to a minimal level.
I have noticed, that even with sharpening off, C1 does seem to apply some anyway, this is one of the weak spots of the software IMO, but it's still very good, and right up there for details work.

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:04:00 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
I am using C1 4.8.3 as my raw converter for my Canon 5D. I recently notice quite a lot of noise
do you use the actual RAW files or do you convert them to DNG prior to editing them in C1?

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:14:21 am »

Quote from: tho_mas
do you use the actual RAW files or do you convert them to DNG prior to editing them in C1?

raw files only
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:43:16 pm »

Speaking as an experienced user of both programs and a big lover of the 5DII for low-light high-ISO shots: C1 does a fantastic job of handling noise/grain/detail from the 5DII on high ISO shots. If you're not finding this I would uninstall Capture One and reinstall.

Or, in case the issue is settings or expectations, perhaps you could post a raw file and we'll pitch in by processing and posting 100% crops from our various preferred convertors.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:29:25 pm by dougpetersonci »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:13:39 am »

Stupid question, but what ISO were the 5D files and what NR settings did you have set in C1?
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

marcmccalmont

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 08:12:41 am »

Try turning off sharpening and then use a sharpening filter during post processing
On High ISO 5DII shots I like first selecting shadows then running noiseware pro (weak noise)
Then as a second step sharpening the inverted selection with focus fixer (.7 to .9)
Hope this helps
Marc
Marc McCalmont

rsonia

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 10:40:12 am »

In preferences under color if it is set to Perceptual, try setting to Relative Colorimetric. Don't know why, but it makes a difference...

rovanpera

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:59:17 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
I am using C1 4.8.3 as my raw converter for my Canon 5D. I recently notice quite a lot of noise in the
shadow areas of my recent images. For a minute, I thought there was something wrong with my sensor that I had recently cleaned.

I went back and opened the images in ACR and there wasn't any noise where I had seen it in the C1 processed images.

What gives?! What am I doing wrong in C1? The images were properly exposed and there were no changes in exposure ect.  

help!

C1 adds fine noise to all images, are you referring to that? It also does some color NR when the slider is at 0...
Pages: [1]   Go Up