Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to MF from 1Ds III Advise appreciated!  (Read 3224 times)

KETCHROSSI

Moving to MF from 1Ds III Advise appreciated!
« on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:06 pm »

Hi guys,

EDIT: Thanks every one for responses and PM's, I have decided to get the H#DII-39 and take it from there.

I have sold all my 35mm FF gear and now making the jump to MF and really know nothing about it well very little, all from reading, so I'm really looking for expert advise, based on experience, initially I will spend about 10k only, as this would be just a test of the platform, and then after having operated and analyzed the system workflow I will make the full jump to the latest available by the manufacturer chosen.

I will shoot primarily, but not exclusively, High Fashion Commercial work, some Architectural and Landscape, but most of my paid work will come from Fashion with some limited Architectural work.

You can view some of my play work (please note that this is a fun site for me, TFP/CD, No paid work posted) http://www.modelmayhem.com/KETCHFRAME

After much research I'm still a bit confused, but at list I know that I either will be a Phase One user or a Hasselblad one, with this in mind I'm looking to purchase a Used Phase One P45 DB or a Used Hasselblad H3DII-39 as a start, and as I said depending on which system I buy I will build on it to then upgrade to the latest available, either the Phase One P65+ or H4D-60.

At times I think that the P45 brings deeper tonalities and better DR then the H3DII-39, but this I know can also be from how the files are processed and delivered, so I'm not too concerned with it as I know both systems will be great, I definitely will want to save all my Raw files in DNG format, even so not sure about the Phocus vs. P1-4 Pro, but again I believe that I could easily get accustom to either, integrating their workflow to my Bridge, LR2 and CS4 Post, also a bit confused on how the two manufacturers list their Bits, P45 says is 16 Bits per color total 48 Bits, and Hassy says 14 Bit, total 16 Bit?!! I now that I absolutely want the highest Bit of color and also Highest DR, this is for sure, so some further light shad on this would be appreciated.

I definitely will not jump manufacturer at the moment of upgrading, so is important for me to make the right decision from the start, I also will not mix P1/Hassy, even so many do, I will not start using a much older H1 or H2 with the P45, but rather I would get the Mamiya AFD645 III (Phase One AF 645) to then change the body to the new upcoming Phase One DF as soon as it becomes available.

If I go the Hassy route then I just, as said above get the full H3DII-39 kit and then move to the Hassy H4D-60.

I'm in Vegas now and looking to book a trip to LA area and definitely visit some shops as to hand held the two systems again, but in the mean time I'm interested in your opinions based on experience with this two systems, their benefits and their cons, based on my applications, such as AF will be important at times, but I shoot MF mostly, I need tethered capacity to be able to connect my 17" Mac to a 30" Cinema Display so that I can have greater control over my work, and also make my clients happier and don't get frustrated not been able to see what is going on, ( I'm a Director/Producer and most of my clients are accustomed to see what I'm doing while observing my Director's monitors with me), so this feature is important, and it was one of the very frustrating workflows with 35mm, so I hope that this two systems and their SW programs will provide for a far better and more professional way of doing it. Btw, would either systems allowed for Live view on the Monitors while Tethered? As to check focus for extreme close ups, and rare Table top/Macro work?

As far as the glass I believe that both systems offer great glass solutions especially now that Mamiya has their new glass, but I would not mind at al to been able to use the Contax/Zeiss glass on either system  (would it be possible? Worth the trouble?) at the end for me, with glass the only thing that matters is that the glass be as SHARP as possible, as any color cast and minor defects can be easily corrected in post, but Sharpness is a must for me.

Nonetheless, any Glass advise in both system would also be greatly appreciated.

Look forward in discussing this with you.

Thank you,

Ketch Rossi
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:53:47 pm by KETCHROSSI »

Nick-T

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 03:28:24 pm »

Quote from: KETCHROSSI
I will get used to either the Mamiya or Hassy body no problem, my asking for advise is more based in which one will produce the absolute BEST image quality and largest Print size of high quality, if

Quality wise there is IMO very little difference between Phase and Hasselblad backs, (not surprising as they are mostly using the same chips).
Make sure you find  good dealers and get them to show you what their system does better than their competitor's.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »

Thanks Nick, unfortunately here in Vegas I have not such good choices, likely bnext week when I go to LA I''l check them out as well, but as I need to buy asap fro work, I'm hopefully to get some good advises here in the mean time.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:04:12 am »

dont forget you can put a p45 onto a hasselblad h1/2. its a very common combination.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:08:30 am »

Quote from: paul_jones
dont forget you can put a p45 onto a hasselblad h1/2. its a very common combination.

paul

true, but so far I have been told to either go with P1 and a Mamiya/Phase one 645 III, or with the H3DII-39.

I hope to be able to find some places here in Vegas to test out both bodies, I definitely like the Hassy line of accessories, and lenses, but then again Mamiya has sure just came out with some ice ones as well.

Professional

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 11:52:51 pm »

true, but so far I have been told to either go with P1 and a Mamiya/Phase one 645 III, or with the H3DII-39.

I hope to be able to find some places here in Vegas to test out both bodies, I definitely like the Hassy line of accessories, and lenses, but then again Mamiya has sure just came out with some ice ones as well.

I am not sure if i will go to Vegas, but i may be in LA between 16 and 19 Oct, and i will try to take my Hassy H3DII-39 there [I am in NYC for vacation, and stay in USA, NYC until 29 Oct then go back home].

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:06:22 am »

Quote from: Professional
I am not sure if i will go to Vegas, but i may be in LA between 16 and 19 Oct, and i will try to take my Hassy H3DII-39 there [I am in NYC for vacation, and stay in USA, NYC until 29 Oct then go back home].

Thanks I appreciate that, but I actually end up going with the P1 system.

Professional

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 01:50:37 am »

Thanks I appreciate that, but I actually end up going with the P1 system.

Good job, i am looking at P1 system as well for my both of film MF cameras, but it seems will not happen very soon.

Plekto

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 07:29:21 pm »

For me, auto-focus and good build quality are prime concerns for me(as is reasonable decent mirror lock-up that stays PUT instead of slamming up when you take the shot).  To be honest, a good MF camera should be as reliable and straight-forward as a DSLR to use.  For this reason, I'm just not a fan of Hasselblad(though for film use, the old original pre-digital back Hasselblads are fantastic).  They just are klunky and feel dated and cumbersome to use, compared, to say, the Mamiyas.    I just don't think Hasselblad really ever "grokked" digital.  The P1 is a decent choice.  Are you getting the new one just announced or the older one?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:32:34 pm by Plekto »

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:08:17 pm »

I got the P30+ Phase One system which will see an immediate upgrade to the new Phase One DF.

At the end after much research I really know I made the best decision.

Thanks again every one for your inputs.

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:08 pm »

Hi Ketch,

I know you will get good use out of the system. Did you get to hold each of the camera systems from Hasselblad and Phase? Shoot with it and process the file(s) using the software? Medium-format is an investment and you will shoot with this system for quite a while. More than once I have heard regrets over a quick decision.

There are lots of messages out there pro-this, con-that, and you sometimes have to just shoot with the systems to get past the (in)convenient truths to found out what works for you.

If you are looking to get your hands on either of these systems, there are several sources out West to get a good hands-on demonstration. See it for yourself.

It makes a big difference.

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

KETCHROSSI

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:48:13 pm »

Thanks John, yes My friend here has an Hassy, and I did shoot with the Phase/mamiya AFD III so both cameras are great, but actually liked better the fill and grip of the Mamiya camera, the files I got to play with both from trying the Software and I must say that even if I had gone with Hassy I would have still used the C1, way better UI and program for me, and this is why I put my LR2 up for sale.

I wish however I did had more time to play around, but I'm very confident I made the best decision, so in few days as soon as everything arrives I'll give it a good run.

Pages: [1]   Go Up