Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error message -36 when uploading files from card reader  (Read 2020 times)

idenford

Error message -36 when uploading files from card reader
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:00:13 am »

Does anyone know what this is? For the past two shoots I've done, I drag the files from my Card reader onto a folder on my desktop. It reaches a certain number of files, then I get an error message that states it can no longer read the files and stops uploading.
Do you think the CF Card is damaged? It happened on Saturday and then yesterday. I shoot with a Nikon D3, all the files are there and I managed to get them through a Lightroom import, but not a drag and drop import

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:23:51 am »

Reformat the card, then do a full disk check to scan for bad sectors.

francois

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:32:21 am »

Quote from: idenford
Does anyone know what this is? For the past two shoots I've done, I drag the files from my Card reader onto a folder on my desktop. It reaches a certain number of files, then I get an error message that states it can no longer read the files and stops uploading.
Do you think the CF Card is damaged? It happened on Saturday and then yesterday. I shoot with a Nikon D3, all the files are there and I managed to get them through a Lightroom import, but not a drag and drop import
If your're using a Mac, error -36 means that files cannot be read or written. Try Jonathan's suggestion and if the error persists than it's very likely that your card is toast.

Edit: you could also try to copy your files to another hard drive. This would rule out a defective hd.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:35:26 am by francois »
Francois

idenford

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:58:49 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
Reformat the card, then do a full disk check to scan for bad sectors.

Thanks, I think it is the card since it happened twice. I reformatted, so I will see what happens

idenford

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:49:12 am »

I took the card back and the folks at Henrys happily exchanged it for me for a 16 gig Lexar pro 300x . The faulty card was a scan disc lll 16gig. No extra charge. So end of the problem.
Thanks for the tips
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:50:40 am by idenford »

francois

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:15:02 am »

Thanks for the update!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up