Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Worth Work?  (Read 2144 times)

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
Image Worth Work?
« on: August 25, 2005, 09:31:32 am »

I find subjects such as your chocolate neon window 1) very appealing as potential subjects, 2) difficult to translate into satisfactory photographs. Prints never have that magical glow that one found attractive in the first place.  I find that the shots that satisfy me the most are when the neon is part of a larger context.

Specifically in your photo, I don't find the streetlamp reflection bothersome. There are some hot spots on the right that are distracting.  If you are bothered by the reflection, taking it out in PS is no more or less manipulation than employing a friend with cardboard.  Street photography is not studio work, in the former there are lots of charming intrusions that are in many ways the essence of the genre.  More reflections rather than less might be the way to go.  

It has taken me some time to learn to discipline myself to stay with a subject the first time, trying to anticipate what variations of exposure/angle/etc. might yield the best results.  This is less critical when going back to re-shoot is not a big deal, but cultivating the habit can be all the difference when a re-shoot is impossible.  It can be quite more difficult to evaluate on the scene rather than from a large image on a computer screen or with a test print, but the more one practices the better one can become.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Image Worth Work?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 05:09:19 pm »

I find subjects such as your chocolate neon window 1) very appealing as potential subjects, 2) difficult to translate into satisfactory photographs. Prints never have that magical glow that one found attractive in the first place.  I find that the shots that satisfy me the most are when the neon is part of a larger context.

Specifically in your photo, I don't find the streetlamp reflection bothersome. There are some hot spots on the right that are distracting.  If you are bothered by the reflection, taking it out in PS is no more or less manipulation than employing a friend with cardboard.  Street photography is not studio work, in the former there are lots of charming intrusions that are in many ways the essence of the genre.  More reflections rather than less might be the way to go.  

It has taken me some time to learn to discipline myself to stay with a subject the first time, trying to anticipate what variations of exposure/angle/etc. might yield the best results.  This is less critical when going back to re-shoot is not a big deal, but cultivating the habit can be all the difference when a re-shoot is impossible.  It can be quite more difficult to evaluate on the scene rather than from a large image on a computer screen or with a test print, but the more one practices the better one can become.
Russell, again agreee with everything you said. I have gotten into the habit when I see something I like to take a few fast snaps where I think the composition is right, then not spending anymore time with it untill I can see it on screen as it is, so to speak.

As I get better, I hope that when a reshoot is impossible, I make the right choices and have a good pciture.

Never really thought about teh reflections as being something appealing in that photo. Thanks again for helping me break out of my mind. That kind of evaluation really helps me.

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
Image Worth Work?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 01:02:01 pm »

It's neither (1) or (2). You are thinking too hard. A photograph doesn't have to be "sellable eye-candy" on the one hand or "a deep philosophical statement" on the other. Disengage your brain, and just SEE. Don't try to categorize it or rationalize it. If some part of your brain likes what it sees, try to capture it in the camera. Then move on. Don't worry about why you liked it, or if anyone else will, or what you'll do with it. Just capture it.

When I start worrying about the end results of my photography too much, when I feel like I am being too critical and not instinctive enough, I have a number of exercises I do. First, if you have a digital camera, try shooting with film for a while (even if you just use a disposable camera). I like shooting with film sometimes because it forces you to not edit yourself so much. With digital, the tempation to "see what you got" can be strong, and takes you out of your shooting zone. With film, you can't peek. You have to keep going and keep shooting. It helps you stay focused on the act of capturing.

If I find myself being especially critical of my work (you hear that inner voice saying "aw, this will be crap") I'll go and shoot a couple rolls of film, and then just throw them away. This takes all the focus off the results. You escape the tyranny of the edit: the feeling that you'll have to make a judgement on your work.

I've also often go on "photo shoots" without a camera: go for a walk, and try to engage your photographer's eye without actually taking a picture. With no camera, and no film, there's no pressure to get the shot right, or to make sure a shot is "in your style". You start to see things that you normally would miss because you're usually focused on what you "should" be photographing.

Finally, I'll use a low-tech camera for a while: a pinhole, or a Holga, or even an old Polaroid. The low-tech breaks you from focusing on your technique, and helps you explore just your vision.

These work for me. I'd be curious what other people do.

And regarding your Chocolates photo, I like it. It's a great image. Why? Because it is. It's got a good feel about it, an energy, a bit of chaos. Nice work. Next?

Dan

dwdallam

Image Worth Work?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:53:29 am »

Well, just before I started to post this, I was reading all of your comments about new cameras. OK, now I'm thinking about it too. I can see myself being ready in the next year or so. Is that new Cannon the $hit, or should I go Nikon? By the time I get ready for it, perhaps a year, what do you think the price will be for the at this time "new" Cannon and Nikon? I don't know the numbers, but the ones youa re all talking about, teh top end models. I think the Cannon is called teh 5D? Not sure about the Nikon.

OK to the subejct of this post. Does this photo have potential, or is it boring and of no worth? What I have in mind if it is worthy is to bring a friend with a large piece of cardboard to block out the street lamp refelction.  
http://www.idlethoughtsandchaos.com/photo/index03.html

Thanks

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
Image Worth Work?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 10:38:47 am »

Does this photo have potential, or is it boring and of no worth?
Dude, what do *you* think? This is your voice, your expression. You saw something in the scene that caused you to take a picture. Figure out what that was, what was in your mind's eye. Respect it - follow it.

dwdallam

Image Worth Work?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 05:25:46 pm »

Does this photo have potential, or is it boring and of no worth?
Dude, what do *you* think? This is your voice, your expression. You saw something in the scene that caused you to take a picture. Figure out what that was, what was in your mind's eye. Respect it - follow it.
Dan,

I know, I know. I'm trying to find my voice and trust it. It just takes me time.

What do I think? OK, this will probably piss some people off, but I'm down with being quite honest with this subject. I have two perspectives:

(1) I think it's a stupid subject that has no philosophical or other value. It's pure eye candy to me really. I like the neon and the blackness of it. I think it might sell because of that reason. That's the only reason I took it.

(2) It reflects a society that is into pleasure, always at full speed, non thinking, and technology: technology being the neon electric glow, pleasure being the candy, and the fast go, go mentality being, of course, the red.

OK, now I really do know my voice. I found that while at University majoring in Philosophy and Literature as a double major. I'm a dark person that sees life without meaning or only the meaning we humans give it, which is not enough really. I live in a gray state between color and blackness where blackness would be non existence and color would be those who adopt Camus famous line that "The point [of life] is to live!"

If I took pictures that reflected my true voice, you'd kill yourself and everyone would hate me. I jest of course, but really, I WILL begin to take pictures that reflect my voice soon. I actually feel that pushing its way into my consciousness fast. I've already begun to formulate series of pictures that I want to make that tell a story, my story.

OK all well and good, but I need to learn and learn well how to see basics and how to use basic technique. The real thing is just this: I have really no idea what a good scene is. I just see things I want to shoot, and I shoot them. In asking your opinion, I come to know what others see and think and that helps me see and think in contrast to my own voice.

So tell me what YOU THINK so I can learn from you, dude!--lol

dwdallam

Image Worth Work?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 04:30:23 pm »

It's neither (1) or (2). You are thinking too hard. A photograph doesn't have to be "sellable eye-candy" on the one hand or "a deep philosophical statement" on the other. Disengage your brain, and just SEE. Don't try to categorize it or rationalize it. If some part of your brain likes what it sees, try to capture it in the camera. Then move on. Don't worry about why you liked it, or if anyone else will, or what you'll do with it. Just capture it.

When I start worrying about the end results of my photography too much, when I feel like I am being too critical and not instinctive enough, I have a number of exercises I do. First, if you have a digital camera, try shooting with film for a while (even if you just use a disposable camera). I like shooting with film sometimes because it forces you to not edit yourself so much. With digital, the tempation to "see what you got" can be strong, and takes you out of your shooting zone. With film, you can't peek. You have to keep going and keep shooting. It helps you stay focused on the act of capturing.

If I find myself being especially critical of my work (you hear that inner voice saying "aw, this will be crap") I'll go and shoot a couple rolls of film, and then just throw them away. This takes all the focus off the results. You escape the tyranny of the edit: the feeling that you'll have to make a judgement on your work.

I've also often go on "photo shoots" without a camera: go for a walk, and try to engage your photographer's eye without actually taking a picture. With no camera, and no film, there's no pressure to get the shot right, or to make sure a shot is "in your style". You start to see things that you normally would miss because you're usually focused on what you "should" be photographing.

Finally, I'll use a low-tech camera for a while: a pinhole, or a Holga, or even an old Polaroid. The low-tech breaks you from focusing on your technique, and helps you explore just your vision.

These work for me. I'd be curious what other people do.

And regarding your Chocolates photo, I like it. It's a great image. Why? Because it is. It's got a good feel about it, an energy, a bit of chaos. Nice work. Next?

Dan
Dan, yeah that's what I do when I'm out taking pictures. I don't analyze it like I did here, and you are right, I have a false dichotomy. When I take pics, I just look for patterns or things that seem interesting to me.  And youa re right again when you say that I am thinking too hard. I have a problem with that.

Yeah that instinct to see waht you got is there, but I'm getting over it really. What I have been doing is something like this:
1. see something I think is intersting, take a few pics in a combination of exposures and comps.
2. go home and look at them.
3. if I think they have potential, then I write up all the things I think would make it a better picture--focal length, exposure, comp, time of day, etc. I print taht paper, and go back.
4. nce I'm back, I follow all of my steps and don't stop until the process is completed. Then I look for other things that I missed the first look, and I'll take some more shots if warranted.
5. wash and repeat as many times as neccesary or until I go insane.

But all that you said ther about analyzing is nice to hear. It helps me more than you know.

Good idea on teh cameraless photoshoot too. Relaly good idea. I find myself doing taht unconscously, but it's nice to have it in the forefront of one's head.

Next? Well, like anything, to do photography"right" takes so much effort and it's draining. I have several photos on the plate right now that I am trying to perfect. I took a few days off jsut to go downtown, write some on a philosophical essay I ahve been working on for around 3 years, and read. I needed to get away from my photography for a while.

I'm feeling it come back tho. I've finished another edit on teh essay, and I'm printing it right now. I'm gonna have lunch, get some coffee, and go over it once again. After that is completed, I'm back to the photography.

Listen, I really apprecaited your comments. They really help, and the same goes for others too. All of you have given me something I did not have before. And that is waht makes life interesting, or at least more so, and it make me a better photographer. .
Pages: [1]   Go Up