Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera backpack recommendation  (Read 3520 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Camera backpack recommendation
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:14:03 pm »

I'm looking to get a backpack that will fit two camera bodies (average nikon size) and also a 17" mac book pro and 3 lenses (a 50, 90 and a 20-35mm). What are some good brands to look for ?

Professional

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »

Lowepro
ThinkTank
Crumpler ???]
Tamrac
Kata

Better to go to one of those online resellers/dealers like amazon, ebay, calumet,....etc and they have most of those brands, and check the reviews, mostly the best bags can get higher reviews

Good luck!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:46:39 pm »

Without knowing your applications, it is difficult to give a suitable answer, but if walking a significant distance with your gear is involved, then you should also consider trekking packs.

I haven't used a dedicated photo pack for years and always walk using Osprey packs in which I pad each of my photographic equipment individually.

Cheers,
Bernard

cecelia

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:08:29 pm »

It all depends on how you plan to use the backpack.  I personally find using the backpack during shooting to be horrible.  You have to take it off, put it down, rummage etc...and it is hot and heavy.  I've now landed on a couple methods:

- For porting gear through airports or on roadtrips I use a large backpack (Tamrac) or wheeled photo suitcase (Lowepro).  It lives in the trunk of my car or in my hotel room and functions as a storage box.  Sometime I may load up the backpack and go to a place like a garden when I then take it off and use it as a storage box.   Yes, security is a problem.  I carry this on in flights, and on my last four trips I used the wheeled photo suitcase, not the backpack because it is quite heavy.  There is a clip on the suitcase where I can add my personal bag (backpack or briefcase) so when I'm walking in the airport nothing is dragging on my shoulders.  I cut the Lowepro logo off so it just looks like a little, non-descript black carry-on.
- For shooting I use a normal, non-photo backpack with the Domke protective wraps to hold my body (D3x) and upto 4 lenses.  I keep the body double wrapped, and it is usually sporting the Voigtlander 40 mm lens which is very compact.  If I am shooting I typically have the camera and 1 lens on a strap, so the backpack is only holding my personal stuff and 3 lenses.  This is quite manageable and security is better.  For one thing, it doesn't look like you are carrying a fortune in camera equipment.  (I also carry my Panasonic LX-3 for those times when you don't want to be encumbered.  This will get upgraded to one of the newer, larger sensor rangefinders soon.)

I've had a Crumpler backpack (way to hard to access and not very flattering) and the Lowepro sling bags (no place for personal stuff and hard to use when you also have a camera on a strap).

If I were going to purchased a new photo-backpack-behemoth I would get a Think Tank.  The difference with the Think Tank and the Tamrac is not enough for me to switch from the Tamrac I have now.

Good luck,

Cecelia

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:08:54 pm »

For travel with the basics, I use an old Lowe Pro Stealth backpack made for photojournalists. It's a plain black bag that looks nothing like a camera backpack, easily carries a computer, 2 pro bodies, and three f/2.8 zooms, plus all the accessories, even a change of clothes. Dunno if they are still made, or if it will even carry a 17-inch laptop (it carries my 15 inch MBP.) If I can't cover an assignment out of that bag, then it's not my kind of assignment <grin>. Well, except for lighting, of course.

If I had to buy a new one, I would probably get the Think Tank Shape Shifter pack. It is made in much the same manner as my Lowe Pro -- neoprene pouches for the gear, and a soft shape that doesn't scream "steal me." I had a look at one in a store last winter, and it seemed very well laid out. If I didn't have the Lowe Pro, I would buy one.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:21:24 am »

Quote from: larkis
I'm looking to get a backpack that will fit two camera bodies (average nikon size) and also a 17" mac book pro and 3 lenses (a 50, 90 and a 20-35mm). What are some good brands to look for ?

I wrote a summary of my findings when I looked for a photo backpack earlier this year
here:
Backpacks

YMMW.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Hank

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:35:13 am »

With that rather small selection of gear, you don't need the very largest.  That expands your options considerably.  If carrying extras like food, water and spare clothing layers also figures in, check out the Adventure series from Tamrac.  The largest (Adventure 9, I think) easily accommodates your load, along with good space for extras.  It's best feature for me is that it still meets airline carryon restrictions.

If you're looking for a pack that also lets you stay in the field overnight, the choice of packs is suddenly more difficult.  I rely on a conventional pack, but put my gear in individual belt pouches.  The pieces in immediate use can be threaded onto the pack's waist belt or clipped to the shoulder straps for immediate access, while the remainder can go into the pack.  The belt pouches provide protection while holding them ready for transfer to the pack's belts and straps.  Neat, convenient, and not as expensive as the largest camera packs, which still won't hold your camping gear.  Lowe, Think Tank, and Tamrac all offer belt pouches, and there are others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up