Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P40+ with Phase One Cameras or H2 mount?  (Read 4165 times)

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
P40+ with Phase One Cameras or H2 mount?
« on: September 23, 2009, 03:36:11 am »

i am planning on buying a new MFDB kit. Currently i have none, so its a start to build a system that can work for me in a studio situation and will also be placed into a rental department.  The camera will probably be mainly used in studio with flash but also for other other location work.

I am reticent to go with Leaf back after the phase buyout.  Having read the DX0 mark reports, i am quite sold on a P40+.

I have my eyes on a P40+ back mainly because of its speed, which is a bonus for fast fashion shoots.  I am just deciding whether to go with the phase one camera system or get the H mount for use with the H2 / Fuji GX645 body.  i am personally more familiar with the H2 body than the phase and i like the faster sync speeds. I am concerned that Phase cameras only sync at 1/125 which could limit usage when using strobe outdoors.

So if i go with the H2-style body i guess i will be buying Blad glass.  But i guess one concern is the H2 system is now obsolete and support may be a problem.

I would love to hear some anecdotes about the phase one camera system in use in studio set ups - pluses and minuses etc.  Also - any thoughts about the P40+ with the blad bodies?

Thanks

Rodney

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:54:45 am »

Actually it is certainly better to go for H3D II 39 MP  100% Hasselblad or  100% PhaseOne + Mamiya

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:06:40 am »

Quote from: erick.boileau
Actually it is certainly better to go for H3D II 39 MP  100% Hasselblad or  100% PhaseOne + Mamiya

The Miami rental market for MFDB is 70-90% H2 bodies matched with Phase One backs.

H2 bodies are and will be serviced by Hasselblad in Parsippany, New Jersey.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:07:36 am by dougpetersonci »

erick.boileau

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:16:43 am »

I know Doug  I have sold a few month ago my H1 + P45
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:17:43 am by erick.boileau »

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:39:20 am »

I know a lot of the software these days works better with their customary lenses - Phocus compensates for various Hasselblad lens distortions etc and likewise with CO and Phase one lenses.  How much does this software compensation really accounts for the recent improvements in the newer digi backs?

Are the days of mixing and matching backs and body systems coming to an end as Phase and HB gobble up competition?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:03:40 am »

Quote from: evonzz
I know a lot of the software these days works better with their customary lenses - Phocus compensates for various Hasselblad lens distortions etc and likewise with CO and Phase one lenses.  How much does this software compensation really accounts for the recent improvements in the newer digi backs?

Capture One also includes lens corrections for H series lenses.

As well Capture One includes lens corrections for Mamiya and Phase One lenses, Contax Lenses, and the ability to do some basic corrections (manually) for non supported lenses such as Canon/Nikon (I use it all the time for the 24mm end of the Canon 24mm-70mm L).

This is one of the myriad benefits of the open-system approach of Phase One.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:55:40 am »

I use an H1 body, which has been recently upgraded by Hasselblad, with a P45+ back. I think it is a nice kit. I am happy with the lenses. I do prefer the feel of the camera to the Mamyia.
I am limited in the lenses though as some of them only work with the H3D series like the 28mm. I use it mostly in the studio. I purchased this camera and back about a month before Hasselblad announced they were closing the Hasselblad platform to other backs. I guess if I had known I would have considered going one way or the other. but I am not sure I would not have just stayed with what I have. It seems like the bodies are readily available and the lenses too. Except for a couple that are Hasselblad only.
Since the 40+ has a slightly smaller sensor, you may not have an ultra wide angle, but that may not matter for what you do. I would try both cameras out. Certainly Phase is making it attractive to buy the Mamyia/Phase with some deals.
I mostly use the 50-110 which I love although, sometimes it gets heavy to handhold for a long shoot.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:42:59 pm »

So the H3D back will work fine on a Fuji GX680?  That seems an important part of this puzzle.

Professional

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 06:28:08 am »

Quote from: ericstaud
So the H3D back will work fine on a Fuji GX680?  That seems an important part of this puzzle.

I thought that H3D is that Hasselblad H series with digital back fixed or integrated, so you can't use H3D back on another camera not even H1 or H2 Hasselblad.
Anyway, these stories and discussion about MFDB making me get confused of which to get, or better or affordable, i am happy with my H3DII-39 so far but seems it is not the best choice here where there are many photographers shooting with MFs/LFs, so i am thinking to see something else without selling my H3DII, i am waiting 2 film cameras so i need to look on which digital back to get, but my eyes really are on P65+ or similar, not looking for P45+ or P40+ as my H3DII is at that mp range, so i should go for larger digital back this time, but i can't afford it now or soon, but maybe with 2 years so at that time do you think something larger than 60mp can be out there?

erick.boileau

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 06:33:30 am »

Quote from: ericstaud
Hasselblad woks with hasselblad,  HC or CF lenses , if you wan to use the lasts HCD lenses you need a H3D
if you want an open (but not really open) system,  phaseone seems to be the last one

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 08:31:18 am »

Hasselblad woks with hasselblad,  HC or CF lenses , if you wan to use the lasts HCD lenses you need a H3D
if you want an open (but not really open) system,  phaseone seems to be the last one

So the next question i guess when deciding which system is the lens quality.  From this post, Seems both systems are pretty even, notwithstanding the odd dog of a lens

Is there any update to the Phase 35mm and also the 45TS?  seems these lenses have incurred a higher frequency of negative comments.

Regarding HC lenses, only a few are supported in CO lens correction - 50-110, 80,110, 120, 150N, 35.  Will the longer lenses be added to this list?

And regarding flash sync speed, why is the phase camera limited to 1/125. Are there any plans to increase this to faster speeds?

Nick-T

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 09:08:53 am »

Quote from: evonzz
So the next question i guess when deciding which system is the lens quality.  From this post, Seems both systems are pretty even, notwithstanding the odd dog of a lens

Is there any update to the Phase 35mm and also the 45TS?  seems these lenses have incurred a higher frequency of negative comments.

Regarding HC lenses, only a few are supported in CO lens correction - 50-110, 80,110, 120, 150N, 35.  Will the longer lenses be added to this list?

And regarding flash sync speed, why is the phase camera limited to 1/125. Are there any plans to increase this to faster speeds?

The Phase645 currently only syncs to 1/125th because it uses a focal plane shutter. Apparently they have plans to release leaf shutter lenses which will sync faster (1/500th?). CO's lens corrections and Hasselblad's own lens corrections are quite different, get someone to demo both systems so you can see the difference.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Khun_K

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:39 am »

Sinar is another one, not just open, but a lot more flexible and with easily adapter change by user, it actually goes on almost all camera system in minutes - of course include the Hy6 and except the H3. Plus the Sinar works fully electronically on their technical cameras.  Although still at 33mpx, its single or multi-shot produce beautiful file, among the top.

Regards, K
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:32:04 am by Khun_K »

erick.boileau

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 12:22:06 pm »

Quote from: Khun_K
Sinar is another one, not just open, but a lot more flexible and with easily adapter change by user, it actually goes on almost all camera system in minutes - of course include the Hy6 and except the H3. Plus the Sinar works fully electronically on their technical cameras.  Although still at 33mpx, its single or multi-shot produce beautiful file, among the top.

Regards, K

yes but Sinar is not so healthy at the moment

Khun_K

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 12:36:31 pm »

yes but Sinar is not so healthy at the moment
Certainly we cannot speak for company we don't own it, but there are companies stay low profile and do great products, and there are companies present high profile and went bankcrupt. To me Sinar is doing a good job making good products, digital or non-digital.

Regards, K
Pages: [1]   Go Up