Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: macro lenses medium format  (Read 1786 times)

lugnet

macro lenses medium format
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:51 pm »

Hello,
this is my first message at LL. Does anyone have any experience from either of the lenses Rodenstock apo sironar 120 mm or the corresponding Schneider lens, apo digitar  120mm? I will use the lens for still life/table top photography - not in extreme macro mode 2:1 or similiar. I use a technical camera with a 36x49 chip. As I can understand, the Schneider lens is a lot more expensive than the rodenstock. Does it deliver more?
/max

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:57:37 pm »

Quote from: lugnet
Hello,
this is my first message at LL. Does anyone have any experience from either of the lenses Rodenstock apo sironar 120 mm or the corresponding Schneider lens, apo digitar  120mm? I will use the lens for still life/table top photography - not in extreme macro mode 2:1 or similiar. I use a technical camera with a 36x49 chip. As I can understand, the Schneider lens is a lot more expensive than the rodenstock. Does it deliver more?
/max

I just spent a lot of time researching macro. Since I was going for extremely high magnification macro I quickly moved past the 120mm, but whilst I had and used it I found that it was unequivocally awesome.

That Schneider 120mm is RAZOR sharp even on a 6 micron sensor like the P65+ provided that you use it in it's recommended range of magnification. It's absolute optimum is 1:1. They state good performance from 1:4-4:1 and they are generally pretty conservative on such claims but this will depend on your personal threshold for what "good" is as well as the type of chip (6/6.8/9 micron sensor).

I'd also suggest if you have further questions that you can call Schneider directly (or call a dealer like us that has a relationship with them). They are very helpful professionals and happy to answer even very technical questions.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/C...03&IID=1928

http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/08/25/extreme-macro/

This is a fully one-sided set of comments since I have not used the Rodenstock equivalent. I can't address any issues of relative performance or performance-per-dollar - I can only vouch that there is no way you could be disappointed by the quality of the Schneider 120mm.

Doug

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:58:21 pm by dougpetersonci »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:19:01 pm »

Quote from: lugnet
Hello,
/max
Where are you?

I have the Schneider Apo-digitar 120 Macro, the 120 and the 150, on Sinar P3 lensboards, with a 36 * 49 digiback. Do you have a Hasselblad 50 back?

I expect to get live view working on the H3D11-50 soon, and I could then send you some pictures, if you are not in the UK to meet up.

I have two tapered P3/P2 bellows, so I can use my P or P2 to extend the P3!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:31:18 pm by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

lugnet

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 01:50:09 pm »

Thanks a lot - I am situated in Stockholm/Sweden. Someone using the Rodenstock apo sironar 120?
Is this lens as good as the schneider macro?
/max
Pages: [1]   Go Up