Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palouse Washington  (Read 3144 times)

spbimages

• SPBIMAGES
Palouse Washington
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:43:16 pm »

I'm heading up to Palouse Washington next week and was wondering if there were any suggestions for good locations and also the time of day for the location.

Thanks,
Steve

ron ritcher

Palouse Washington
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:33:35 am »

I'm no expert, but have a daughter and family who moved to the Pullman/Moscow area 18 months ago, and I've visited twice -- this summer and last.  Not sure where in the area you'll be, but a couple suggestions would be:  try high ground a time or two; Steptoe Butte and Moscow Mountain are good starting points. Palouse Falls is interesting and surprising.   It faces west, so afternoon light can be harsh, but I got a few decent shots with the sun overhead, nonetheless.  Early evening, with building thunderstorm clouds in the east could be terrific.  Dusk light can really "paint" the hills, especially if you arrive before harvest is totally complete. (not sure when in the summer the wheat is all finished)  Those cloud formations tend to build during the day and can be really dramatic.  There are dozens of side roads to try -- they make it easier to pull over at a moment's notice without getting run over by traffic; grab a local map of whatever area you're in.  Check the weather forcasts and try for dawn or dusk on the sunniest days -- and that far north, those are really early and really late!  And lastly, find the website of Alison Meyer and check out her work;  there will be some specific places mentioned, but mostly it will give you some ideas and plenty of inspiration.  Have fun!!

--Ron

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Palouse Washington
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:38:15 am »

framah

Palouse Washington
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:04:44 am »

Anyone know what this area might look like early October?  Plowed fields then, also?
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

David Hufford

Palouse Washington
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:16:57 am »

I went to college in Pullman and lived in Spokane for about 10 years and often made the drive through that part of the Palouse. The advice above sounds pretty good, and if you have time just driving some of the back roads in the area will give you a lot of opportunities.

Palouse State Falls Park may be worth a visit if you are nearby. It's something different for the area.

As for how it looks in October, I don't recall well, but I think harvest starts in August.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:59:56 am by drichi »
*Never fall in love with anything that c

spbimages

• SPBIMAGES
Palouse Washington
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:46:11 pm »

I'm in the Palouse now (8/25/09). They are almost done with the harvest so not a lot of color except shades of gold and brown. But there are some very interesting paterns in the landscape. We have driven some of the back roads and will be doing more tomorrow. Old barns, bails of hay, etc. From talking to the locals the best time is spring when the fields are green and the first part of June when the canolla is in bloom.

Steve

wtlloyd

Palouse Washington
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:15:56 am »

Re: the article Chris links to: I can highly recommend the Robert Hitchman series, Photograph America, that Michael links in his opening paragraph. You can buy single issues if you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up