Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7D Stitching  (Read 6091 times)

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
7D Stitching
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 07:02:53 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
Yes, Jeff, that was indeed what I meant. Sorry for being unclear in my original post. When I said "flat stitch" I meant using the shift lens approach. No need to reproject, and hence no warping.

That's the advantage of shift lens flat stitching - no resampling. If you want a flat projection and have shot a rotating series of images, you must stretch the image towards the edges. Or, if you are happy with a cylindrical projection you must be prepared to accept a curved look (depending on subject). You can get around this by using more and more images with smaller fields of view but life too short for this unless you need a gigapixel shot.

Personally I do both. If my 24TSE can encapsulate the scene I'll do a flat stitch.  If I need a wider view I'll do a rotating series. Both are useful techniques, the trick is to know which one works best for the current shot by being aware of the pros and cons of both.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
7D Stitching
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »

Quote from: MarkL
If I was doing interiors or architecture it would be a different story entirely though.

For lower quality images yes, but if high resolution is needed, then spherical stitching is totally usable for architecture.

Regards,
Bernard

Panopeeper

7D Stitching
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
if high resolution is needed, then spherical stitching is totally usable for architecture.

Well, yes and no. Once this question came up here, and I represented the above position. Several posters (MFDB owners) explained, that the difference in preparation, shooting and post processing effort is decisive in the professional work. I can afford working long, sometimes several hours long on a pano, for that is a hobby, but professionals can't afford that. I become convinced by their considerations.

IIRC, there was another consideration: that the client is often present at the shooting and wants to see the result immediately.
Gabor

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
7D Stitching
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 10:14:18 am »

Quote from: Panopeeper
Well, yes and no. Once this question came up here, and I represented the above position. Several posters (MFDB owners) explained, that the difference in preparation, shooting and post processing effort is decisive in the professional work. I can afford working long, sometimes several hours long on a pano, for that is a hobby, but professionals can't afford that. I become convinced by their considerations.

IIRC, there was another consideration: that the client is often present at the shooting and wants to see the result immediately.

Yes, agreed, but the present discussion was focussing on technical ability.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up