Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF6100 observations  (Read 1845 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
iPF6100 observations
« on: August 31, 2009, 07:28:44 am »

The nice people at Canon UK lent me an iPF6100 wide format (24") printer for a while, and I've just
finished writing up a lengthy review/article about using it for photographic 'fine art' printing.

iPF6100 review

Hope there is some useful info there. It's the printer on which I recently tested the new Spyder3Print SR

Apart from a few minor sheet feed issues, it's a printer I'd be happy to use for my work - it's certainly made any printer replacement choices over the next few years a bit more complex ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Doyle Yoder

iPF6100 observations
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:17:09 am »

Quote from: keith_cooper
The nice people at Canon UK lent me an iPF6100 wide format (24") printer for a while, and I've just
finished writing up a lengthy review/article about using it for photographic 'fine art' printing.

iPF6100 review

Hope there is some useful info there. It's the printer on which I recently tested the new Spyder3Print SR

Apart from a few minor sheet feed issues, it's a printer I'd be happy to use for my work - it's certainly made any printer replacement choices over the next few years a bit more complex ;-)

One thing I would add.

The issue with Indesign CS3 and CS4 where the Monitor profile gets introduced into the printflow when printing to RGB devices can be overcome with the Canon print drivers by selecting Fast Graphic Process. This selection bypasses the Apple print path where the Monitor profile gets introduced causing incorrect color printing.

Doyle

iCanvas

iPF6100 observations
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:21:13 am »

So, how does it compare with the Epson 7900.  Is there a visible difference in quality?

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
iPF6100 observations
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:29:32 am »

Quote from: iCanvas
So, how does it compare with the Epson 7900.  Is there a visible difference in quality?
I've not been able to get a 7900 from Epson UK to look at, so unfortunately I can't answer  :-(

It is certainly a question I'd like to check - I've got a 7880 here and in a few comparison images on the same paper, I'd be hard put (in a blind test) to tell the difference between them.

Put the two images at opposite ends of a room with similar lighting, and even those of a much fussier  (sorry, meant 'more exacting' ;-) ) nature than me would find it difficult...

Do remember though, that I'm not doing accurate proofing work, so my criteria are driven more by how the print looks and feels than by comparison of the numbers.  As ever YMMV considerably ;-)
bye for now -- Keith

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
iPF6100 observations
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:15 pm »

Quote from: keith_cooper

iPF6100 review

An excellent and thorough review - thank you.

I've been using the iPF6100 for about a year now, almost always with the PS 16 bit plug-in or from LR. I like Epson Premium Luster and profiled it with Eye1 using Canon's Semi Gloss setting - works beautifully.

So far the printer has behaved admirably with no hiccups. I've been through three complete sets of inks so it's being well used. I printed a 10 foot pano today - took about 45 minutes I think.

Bill

dave_in_gva

iPF6100 observations
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 05:51:25 am »

Keith,

I actually sent you an email this morning congratulating you on your thorough review and asking a question which you may wish to answer here if you prefer.

My question is whether you have any opinion on monochrome printing or output of the iPF6100 in comparison with the Epson and HP printers you've tested. I have an i1 spectrophotometer so can profile and linearize QTR profiles so do not need the built-in spector onboard the Z3200.

Best,

Dave Meddings

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
iPF6100 observations
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:28:33 am »

Thanks Dave

The 7880 is the 'general' printer I have here at the moment, so I use it for B/W on non matte papers, however I have a 9600 that I still use for B/W printing on matte papers (using V6 ImagePrint via an old Mac) I keep the 9600 since I have a few preferred papers that produce very nice results.

Were I looking for a single replacement then it would need both blacks, so 79/9900 or the HP or a Canon.

Do remember that this is from having the HP and Canon for only a few weeks each...

I like the HP Gloss cover for some papers, but felt that for general use I might just give the nod to the Canon. Some of the B/W testing I did with it suggests that it might be a bit more flexible in getting the b/w look I was after.  I have lots of profiling kit, so the spectro in the HP was not such an advantage.

That said, I felt both HP and Canon were less friendly to use with sheet fed media than my 7880 - Epson UK didn't have a 7900 to test :-(

As you see - very much 'it depends' (and one of the reasons I studiously avoid writing comparative reviews ;-) )
bye for now -- Keith

dave_in_gva

iPF6100 observations
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:05:53 am »

Thanks Keith. Very helpful commentary. A shame you haven't had the opportunity of working with a 7900 yet.

Best wishes,

Dave Meddings
Pages: [1]   Go Up