Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minolta A2 - where's it gone?  (Read 3070 times)

Gary_Berg

Minolta A2 - where's it gone?
« on: March 02, 2005, 12:17:19 pm »

The closest replacement is the A200 - which is certainly not an exact replacement.

Here in the US there are some sellers offering the A2 factory refurbished with at least some Minolta warranty. There's been some discussion of this over the the DPReview Konica Minolta forum.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 06:34:16 pm »

I think it's the low-end DSLR's that are the reason. Why get an A2 when you can get a Rebel XT for about the same price that will totally outclass it quality-wise?

iordanov

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 08:10:23 am »

Hi All,

Rabitt, on http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/page6.htm KM A2 is listed in stock, if still after it you can check over the phone.
I hope you are lucky, I was not: no UK retailer ships to an overseas address, UK bank account and payment in pounds notwithstanding. In a sense, back to the Middle Ages.

I would like to add one rarely mentioned advantage of a digicam like A2: absolutely silent in operation. Sadly no DSLR (with an OVF) can perform like this.

Regards,

Ivor

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 12:04:53 pm »

and the image quality is probably very similar at base ISO
Not with the A2 shots I've seen; noise was definitely noticeable (though not bad) even at ISO 64, about like the 20D ISO 400. Whether this is acceptable depends on how much you value compactness relative to overall image quality.

DaveLon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 04:46:42 pm »

That is where the Dimage A2 fits - a light comprehensive travel camera.

DS

QuantumTiger

• http://www.quantumtiger.org/
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 08:22:48 am »

and the image quality is probably very similar at base ISO
Not with the A2 shots I've seen; noise was definitely noticeable (though not bad) even at ISO 64, about like the 20D ISO 400. Whether this is acceptable depends on how much you value compactness relative to overall image quality.
I've been using the A2 for about a year now, and have rarely found noise to be an issue in good conditions (ie shooting in decent light at ISO64 and getting a good exposure). Sure the noise is there if you zoom right in to 100%, but for practical purposes it is not a problem. I've enlarged prints up to A2 in size and it is really not an issue.

In lower light, it does start to become a problem, but I have found Noise Ninja to be very effective at cleaning up such shots. At ISO400 or faster, however, even this is no longer really good enough.

In terms of an overall package the A2 is a great camera for people who don't want the bulk of an SLR, and don't need to do loads of low light work. In fact - I love it! I'd definately recommend it over the A200 for the better EVF.
QT

[url=http://www.quantumtiger.o

rabitt

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 10:43:47 am »

Just when I was finally ready to take the digitial plunge, I discover that the camera I was looking to get - the minolta A2 - has been discontinued here in the UK. At least, that's what my latest web and highstreet searches show.

Anyone confirm this, and if so, what's the replacement?

Rabitt

BJL

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 05:29:09 pm »

The 2/3" digicam format seems to be at a cross-roads.
Nikon is still active, having upgraded its 8700 to two models, a "wide" and a "super-telephoto". But for the rest, activity is low to non-existent.
- KM has moved to the lower spec., smaller, lower priced (?) A200
- Sony shows no signs of an upgrade, but there are rumors that the 828 is near end of life
- Canon and Olympus have not upgraded yet

Maybe much of industry sees the former 2/3" market now being split between more compact high end 1/1.8" models (now at 7MP with noise reportedly as good or better than the 2/3" 8MP) and the new small, cheap DSLRs?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 07:18:11 am »

Hi there,

Although I agree that the price drop of the low end DSLR (Canon digital rebel and Nikon D70) are putting more price pressure and reducing the market of bridge cameras, I still feel that there is some market for a camera like the A200:

- very compact,
- good 28-200 lens with VR.

The price is still much lower if you factor in the lens, and the image quality is probably very similar at base ISO.

Obviously, the gap will become sensible at 200, very large at 400 and huge at 800 ISO.

Cheers,
Bernard

BJL

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 12:03:14 pm »

I still feel that there is some market for a camera like the A200:
- very compact,
- good 28-200 lens with VR.
I agree with all these advantages of compactness and wide zoom range at lower cost and weight with fine low ISO performance, and will add the ability to use lower f-stops than with the kit lenses of entry level DSLRs, which expands the utility of low ISO's.

But all these advantages are now amplified with the somewhat smaller 1/1.8" format, and the noise levels are apparently not significantly worse, so might not that be the new direction for people wanting these virtues? The far greater number of new 7MP 1/1.8" models seems to point this way. More generally, with compact digicams the dominant pattern seems to be using sensor improvements to shrink the size and cost of cameras for each performance niche.

Maybe 2/3" format will create a new higher performance digicam niche with a new improved Sony sensor, but I suspect that for most photographers wanting to take this next step up, the options of sub-$800 DSLRs with interchangable lenses and such are more attractive.

rabitt

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 05:37:40 am »

I appreciate the help and comments. I will still try to source one, because as attractive as a DSLR is becoming, sometimes it's a little bulky to be a take everyday camera. I'll maybe end up with one of each. Best talk to the wife about that, though...

Thanks all, and will check at Bristol Cameras.

Rab

cerebros

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 07:16:05 am »

I appreciate the help and comments. I will still try to source one, because as attractive as a DSLR is becoming, sometimes it's a little bulky to be a take everyday camera.
That's the situation I'm in at the moment.  My current camera is an EOS 3 which is fantastic - except when doing the whole tourist thing as carrying about the lenses I end up using most isn't too comfortable over the course of a day - something that wouldn't be solved by using a DSLR.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 11:15:08 pm »

I think that there is still a market for these "bridge" high quality digital cameras. Certainly I use my Canon Pro 1 a lot, it is a very solid (metal build) picture taking package. It could be better, it could have IS like the Minolta, and a better EVF like the Minolta.

But it gets the job done, and try to get the similar range in focal lenghts (28-200), with the same quality, for your Canon DSLR, for under USD 1000. That is the beauty of these cameras: small, "good-enough" quality for its intended use, and still good value for money in a "one camera does it all" philosophy.

I have made very nice prints at ISO 50, and 100, from a few landscapes, shooting off a tripod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up