Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marquee tool  (Read 6296 times)

mbalensiefer

Marquee tool
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:43:40 am »

Hi!

How do I move a marquee in CS4? I would like to move the marquee itself--not the selected area. No answers I've found online apply correctly to CS4.

Thanks!
~Michael

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Marquee tool
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:34:16 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
Hi!

How do I move a marquee in CS4? I would like to move the marquee itself--not the selected area. No answers I've found online apply correctly to CS4.

Thanks!
~Michael

Not sure I undserstand this question, but on one interpretation, in my system, same as always. Click inside the selected area and drag it around to where you want it. The marquee itself is moving but of course the selected area changes according to where you rest it. If you are talking about changing the borders of the marquee, that behaviour as well has not changed. Press SHIFT and drag to add to a selection; press ALT and drag to subtract from a selection. Is there something else you had in mind?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mbalensiefer

Marquee tool
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:07:15 am »

Hi!

Thanks for the answer, but if I click my marquee area and drag it, then the selected area moves as well. I am trying to move "just" the marquee..

For example:
 With Marquee, I draw a circle around an eyeball:
 I click one area of my image, then drag the marquee to the opposite side of the eyeball.
 (I hold "Shift" after the first "click" to get my marquee into Circle mode.)
 However, when I hit the Move Tool (V), I move the image as well. I just want to move an "empty" marquee.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
~Michael

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Marquee tool
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:24:45 am »

Michael, try this and see whether it works for you.

1. select your marquee, e.g. the eliptical marquee and shape it as needed.
2. let go of the mouse button
3. slide the cursor (which is probably a cross just now) into the selected area.
4. you will see the cursor change into something that looks like a little white triangle and rectangle.
5. click and drag - this will change the cursor to a black triangle if things are going right, and it will move the selection without moving the image AT ALL.
I'm doing all this as I write just to make sure it does what *I think* you are trying to do, and it does.

OK?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:24:58 am by MarkDS »

Gary Brown

Marquee tool
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:44:34 am »

However, when I hit the Move Tool (V), I move the image as well. I just want to move an "empty" marquee.
Make sure you don't have the move tool selected (i.e., select some other tool), if you want to move the selection but not what's selected.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Marquee tool
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:48:04 am »

Quote from: Gary Brown
Make sure you don't have the move tool selected (i.e., select some other tool), if you want to move the selection but not what's selected.

Useful pointer, but if he does exactly what I outlined above he will not have the Move tool selected.

mbalensiefer

Marquee tool
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 07:39:07 pm »

Done!

Thanks both.

I had been selecting two eyeballs (most people have two), and thus was under the "Add to Selection" tool by default (that one gets when they also hold "Shift").
I selected the "New Selection" button (upper left corner of PS), and then got the white arrow of which you speak. This is much better than guess and check.

Now: What is the difference between "Add to Selection" and "Intersect with Selection"? Though it seems apparent, fiddling around with the two options, I can't find an answer.

V/R
~Michael

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Marquee tool
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:45:10 am »

Done!

Thanks both.

I had been selecting two eyeballs (most people have two), and thus was under the "Add to Selection" tool by default (that one gets when they also hold "Shift").
I selected the "New Selection" button (upper left corner of PS), and then got the white arrow of which you speak. This is much better than guess and check.

Now: What is the difference between "Add to Selection" and "Intersect with Selection"? Though it seems apparent, fiddling around with the two options, I can't find an answer.

V/R
~Michael

Adding to a selection does exactly that. Intersecting a selection selects the overelapped portion of two selections.

mbalensiefer

Marquee tool
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 10:19:38 am »

That's what I would think, but when I perform an "Intersect with" in my version of Photoshop, I get the same results as with "Add To"...so basically my intersecting a selection selects ALL the portions of two or any number of selections.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Marquee tool
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 02:09:19 pm »

Hi!

Thanks!
~Michael

The selected marquee can be moved using the arrow keys on the keyboard.
Gerald J Skrocki

Michael Bailey

Marquee tool
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 08:07:25 pm »

If I'm reading the original question correctly, you want to move just the "Marching Ants," not what's inside them. I think I have the answer, verified by fiddling just now with CS-4: Once you draw your original selection, don't change any tools, just click inside your box or circle, hold and drag. This only works, though, if you've clicked on the far-left "New Selection" box up on the Tool Options Bar. This is the program's default choice, but it is "sticky," meaning that Photoshop will remember your setting, even after you start up the next day.
Alternatively, you can right-click (or Control-click on a Mac) inside the marching ants and choose "Transform Selection". Then you can grab corners, distort or move the whole selection around to your heart's content.
(As for those four odd little boxes, does anybody else get unpleasant flashbacks to "Venn Diagrams" from grade school math class?)

--Anyway, the "New" button is what you'd expect.
--"Add to..." means that you can make a second selection without automatically erasing your first one. It can touch the first one, but doesn't have to. (You can select two eyeballs, or make a snowman.)
--"Subtract from..." means that if you make a little second selection inside a big first one, you'll wind up with a doughnut, bagel, tire, you get the picture. Visualize a rectangular doughnut and you're still with me.
--"Intersect with..." means that your final selection will cover only the area that includes both of your previous choices.

"Shift" is the temporary shortcut for "Add to..." and "Alt" (Option) is the temporary shortcut for "Subtract from..." The nice thing about using them is that they aren't sticky, so you won't get frustrated the next day trying to figure out why your selections don't act right.

MB

stamper

Marquee tool
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 04:47:45 am »

Alternatively, you can right-click (or Control-click on a Mac) inside the marching ants and choose "Transform Selection". Then you can grab corners, distort or move the whole selection around to your heart's content.

Unquote

Michael thanks for that. I have been wondering about that for a while.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:48:26 am by stamper »
Pages: [1]   Go Up