Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuele profile turns image yellow  (Read 2812 times)

RonNYC

Hahnemuele profile turns image yellow
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:23:09 am »

I have a color digital image of flowers; they range from light pink to red. When I assign the Hahnemuele (I am using their Glossy Fine Art Baryta paper) profile for this paper (HFA_Eps3800_Pk_FABaryta) , the image turns yellow. That is, the reds go to yellow; the deepest reds stay red but not so much. Greens stay green. I've been fiddling with exposure, hue/saturation, gamma, curves, but I can't get back to close to what it image actually is. Any suggestions?

It was converted from a Canon CR2 raw format and looks fine when the profile is Adobe RGB 1998.

My monitor has been recently calibrated and is OK.

RON

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:59:37 pm »

don't assign it, convert to it when printing. If you want to see how it will perform while working the file, select it in soft proof as well.
All assigning it is doing is showing you raw un-color managed appearance of your printer/ink/driver settings/paper combination.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:45:19 pm »

Are you assigning the Hahne paper's printer profile as the image's color space, changing it from Adobe RGB?

If so, you're doing the wrong thing.  KEEP the image's color space as aRGB.  Better yet, when converting from RAW, use the ProPhoto color space instead.

When you're ready to print, go into the Epson printer driver's set up and set the paper type to your Hahne paper profile.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:47:46 pm by PaulS »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:11:23 pm »

You don't need to assign or convert anything to print with the correct printing profile. Your computer's CMM/PCS does this on the fly when you send the image to print if your settings are correct. You haven't said whether you are seeing this disconnect on your display or in the printed output or in both. You haven't said whether you followed Hahn's recommendation for the paper type selection in the Epson driver. Their profile is keyed to one OEM paper setting in the printer driver, and if you chose the wrong one you can't expect the profile to perform correcty. You haven't said whether you've insured that only Photoshop is managing colour and all Colour Management is switched OFF in the printer driver. Are you softproofing the result on your display with "Simulate Paper White" selected? Is the tone of red turning yellow out of gamut (use the Color Picker or the Gamut Warning to see) - if so what Rendering Intent are you using to deal with OOG colours? You may get a different outcome depending on whether it is RelCol or Perceptual. Finally, strange to say, not all paper manufacturers' profiles are very good - there are two processes handled by the profile - reading back information to your display and sending information to the printer - both must be correct. If after verifying all of the above you still don't get a good outcome, you should consider getting a custom profile made, but I suspect your problem may be a setting or two.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:02:43 pm »

I think we're a bit confused as to what you're actually doing. The Hahnemuhle profile is for printers, not image files, so if you're assigning it to the image, itself, you're doing it wrong. Keep the image profile, as Paul said above, set at aRGB.

Printer profiles, such as the one you posted as an example, should only be used in the printer setup dialogs.
"The real voyage of discove

RonNYC

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:39 pm »

Quote from: ckimmerle
I think we're a bit confused as to what you're actually doing. The Hahnemuhle profile is for printers, not image files, so if you're assigning it to the image, itself, you're doing it wrong. Keep the image profile, as Paul said above, set at aRGB.

Printer profiles, such as the one you posted as an example, should only be used in the printer setup dialogs.

I wish there were a reply all selection. First, thanks to all. I believe I, as per nearly everyone, my workflow was the problem. I just reassigned the profile to Adobe RGB and then did softproofing and it looks perfect. As for the other questions and suggestion: I will try the ProPhoto profile instead of sRGB. As for MarkDS's questions, Photoshop is managing color. The rendering intent is Relative Colormetric.

Again, thanks to all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up