Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this only a Canon issue?  (Read 2522 times)

Mark F

Is this only a Canon issue?
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:55:11 am »

For the last several months I haven't been getting sharp images when my 1.4 Extender is attached to my 400mm 5.6L, and finally noticed that where the two pieces connect there is a little play. Not all that much but not rock solid like it used to be.  So after speaking to technical support I sent the two pieces to Canon repair in Jamesburg, NJ with a full explanation.

Yesterday they emailed me an estimate of close to $200 to check and calibrate the 400mm to factory specification. No mention of the extender or the wobbly connection problem so I called to make sure that it was being taken care of too.

I was told that:  (1) the extender was an older model and was no longer being serviced (I bought it about 8 years ago), (2) it had already been shipped back to me and (3) did I want them to service my 400mm?  They totally missed the point that the problem appears to be with the connection between the lens and extender and in any event refused to even look at the extender, as they no longer service it.  

I am really angry. Not only did the Canon repair center not read the repair form I submitted but the extender is part of Canon's professional series equipment and they refuse to even look at it?  

Is this a Canon issue or do other companies treat their customers the same way?

Mark
Mark

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »

Quote from: Mark F

Mark

Mark,

I'm sorry to hear that you were not treated to your satisfaction.  I've heard other examples where Canon will not repair older equipment.

For older gear that Canon or Nikon no longer repairs, Midstate Camera Repair in Rhode Island gets recommended alot on SportsShooter.com.

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/

My own Canon repair experience has been positive.  A couple of years ago I walked my EOS 1D Mk2 with a fried circuit board into the Irvine, CA facility.  Even though it was out of warranty it was repaired free of charge and I got it back (also shipped free of charge) on the 4th business day.  I'm not a CPS member, just a guy with a camera.

It's not just a 1 series camera thing either - I know a person whose out of warranty Digital Rebel's blown shutter was repaired for free.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:04:07 pm by PaulS »

pathfinder

• http://www.pathfinder.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 01:18:29 am »

I have had several repairs done by CFS in Jamesburg, and found them very helpful and fast.  

They replaced a shutter in a 1DsMkii that I purchased used, without any hassle at all.  They repaired a dropped 40D that lost autofocusing capability, a scratched antialiasing filter in a 5D in a very short time frame as I was leaving for Scotland, and other tasks.

I have had repairs done by Tamron as well, work was fine, but took 3 times as long door to door.

I am sorry for the OPs difficulties, but that has not been my experience, and like the 2nd poster, I am just a fellow with a camera.

Hank

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:00 am »

Poor service is one of the reasons we dumped the Canon line.  That was half a dozen years ago, but at that point in time I would not have been surprised by your experience.  Based on comments from other photographers in recent years however, I am surprised.  Sounds like the not so good old days to me.  Leaving out brands I had reasons for major service recently when the hot shoe was ripped off the top of a body (don't ask).  I got an estimate within 3 days, and had the body back in a week's time, total.  While in the shop they completely cleaned the body and sensor as well as installed all new firmware- gratis.  I had to cross check the serial # to make sure they hadn't sent me a completely new body.  Speed, accuracy, courtesy, and the little extra flourish of assistance are the ways I define service.  Got it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:11:53 am by Hank »

Mark F

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:45:33 pm »

Thanks Paul for the recommendation. I will check that out.

The Jamesburg repair person I spoke to was very polite, just totally unhelpful. He made it clear that the extender was no longer being serviced and that was that!  But I am also angry that they obviously did not read the two sentence explanation of the problem I wrote on their own form, and just assumed that each piece should be serviced separately.

For the record, this is the second time I have had a problem with Jamesburg.  Several years ago I dropped my film 1v and sent it in for repair. It was immediately returned with a note that they were no longer servicing the 1n model.  So I had to reship the camera.

Maybe its only the Jamesburg service center and from now on I should use another one.
Mark

Clearair

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:30:47 pm »

Quote from: Mark F
For the last several months I haven't been getting sharp images when my 1.4 Extender is attached to my 400mm 5.6L, and finally noticed that where the two pieces connect there is a little play. Not all that much but not rock solid like it used to be.  So after speaking to technical support I sent the two pieces to Canon repair in Jamesburg, NJ with a full explanation.

Yesterday they emailed me an estimate of close to $200 to check and calibrate the 400mm to factory specification. No mention of the extender or the wobbly connection problem so I called to make sure that it was being taken care of too.

I was told that:  (1) the extender was an older model and was no longer being serviced (I bought it about 8 years ago), (2) it had already been shipped back to me and (3) did I want them to service my 400mm?  They totally missed the point that the problem appears to be with the connection between the lens and extender and in any event refused to even look at the extender, as they no longer service it.  

I am really angry. Not only did the Canon repair center not read the repair form I submitted but the extender is part of Canon's professional series equipment and they refuse to even look at it?  

Mark

I am curious about the movement between the lens/extender/body. You mention rock solid as an expectation??
I have rarely had a Canon lens and body not have a very slight ROTATIONAL play in the mount. This varies between lenses and bodies but is always there if you look for it even with new equipment.
I believe this is normal and has no effect on performance.
Try out a new extender (loan) see if it is not something else.

nsnowlin

• http://www.stunowlinimaging.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:19:00 am »

Hank, I just gotta know, how did you rip the hot shoe off?  I managed some pretty awesome damage when I was hit by a motorcycle flying off a jump....

I understand that another brand of camera a few years ago would send back equipment unrepaired if it was over 2 years old.  They were told that this was illegal under US law and that the service support was 7 years.  Everyone seems to follow this 7 year cycle now in any case.  I just sent an older, non-current 100/2.8 macro into Canon Irvine.  It was returned with the same note that it was no longer being serviced by Canon USA.  I am told that other manufacturers will do the same.  (No manufacturer will support old products forever.)

Thanks for posting the Rhode Island repair business's web address.  I'll try them and see if they can still source parts.  That may be the limiting issue.

Stu

Hank

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:55:48 am »

Quote from: nsnowlin
Hank, I just gotta know, how did you rip the hot shoe off?  I managed some pretty awesome damage when I was hit by a motorcycle flying off a jump....

I understand that another brand of camera a few years ago would send back equipment unrepaired if it was over 2 years old.  They were told that this was illegal under US law and that the service support was 7 years.  Everyone seems to follow this 7 year cycle now in any case.  I just sent an older, non-current 100/2.8 macro into Canon Irvine.  It was returned with the same note that it was no longer being serviced by Canon USA.  I am told that other manufacturers will do the same.  (No manufacturer will support old products forever.)

Thanks for posting the Rhode Island repair business's web address.  I'll try them and see if they can still source parts.  That may be the limiting issue.

Stu

It was pretty mundane compared to your collision.  My wife was using it as a second mounted with a 12-24mm lens and strobe on a wedding shoot and set it briefly on a table while changing cards in her primary camera.  A passerby snagged the strap and it landed on the floor strobe-first.  Repair was $400, but flawless.  

Much worse was a wedding years ago when someone knocked over a tripod and ripped the bottom off a Mamiya body- bare wires and gears- while ruining the lens.  And a little later someone tripped on a lighting cable, pulling over the tripod again and ripping the lens off another body while also pulling over a light stand and ruining the light.  

I'll take industrial photography any day.  It's much safer than weddings!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:57:54 am by Hank »

Mark F

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 10:51:52 am »

There was a very slight up an down looseness where the extender and lens connected.  I have no way of actually measuring how much, maybe only a 1/16 of an inch, but looseness is obvious.  The only other lens that I attach the extender to is my 70-200 2.8L, and in that configuration there is no movement at all, including rotational.  

Quote from: Clearair
I am curious about the movement between the lens/extender/body. You mention rock solid as an expectation??
I have rarely had a Canon lens and body not have a very slight ROTATIONAL play in the mount. This varies between lenses and bodies but is always there if you look for it even with new equipment.
I believe this is normal and has no effect on performance.
Try out a new extender (loan) see if it is not something else.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up