Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picture Quality / Noise - 8mp A2 vs. 5mp LC1  (Read 2668 times)

lenzzzcap

Picture Quality / Noise - 8mp A2 vs. 5mp LC1
« on: April 15, 2004, 01:34:20 pm »

Dan,
I am asking the same ?? I have always thought that my d30 was a better camera than my d60, noise being the problem. At 1600 with the 30 the noise was no worse than at 1000iso with the 60. And the noise is chunkyer with the 60. I lost 1600 iso for 3mp. I don't know that this was such a great trade of. At 10x8 prints I like the 30 better than the 60. Faster start up, soft flat image, just made for PS7 proccessing. And less bucks. No fairy rings because they crammed too many pixs into the same size sensor. I know it seems impossible but For what I do the 30 seems like the bettr rig. anybody want a D60?

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 01:22:00 am »

If widely spaced pixels inherantly have less noise, does that mean there would be demonstrably less noise in a 5mp Panasonic LC1 or Leica Digilux 2 than an A2?  To the extent that overall picture quality would be as good or even better than the 8mp camera, particularly at a higher ISO?  

It's not the actual spacing of the photosites (pixels) which bear directly on noise, but rather the size and depth of the actual wells themselves which affect signal to noise ratios.

The more signal which can be gathered from a single sampling site, the better the S/N ratio and the more amplification (ISO) which can be sustained before serious adverse effects are seen.

The manufacturers of sensors have been systematically "crowding" more photosites into nearly the same sensor sizes which makes each photosite smaller. It's the "size" of the photosite (pixel) which renders a poorer ratio between signal and noise, not the actual spacing. Just so we don't confuse cause and effect here.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin

DanPatrick

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 03:54:18 pm »

While the picture quality - sharpness, detail - are impressive in new 8mp cameras like the A2, the noise is problematical and seems to preclude the use of anything above ISO 100 for good results.  I'm struck by a quote from one of Michael's recent reviews -

"...the current generation of 8Mp digicams are moderately noisy. Certainly this is the case in comparison with current 6MP DSLRs and even the better 5MP digicams"

If widely spaced pixels inherantly have less noise, does that mean there would be demonstrably less noise in a 5mp Panasonic LC1 or Leica Digilux 2 than an A2?  To the extent that overall picture quality would be as good or even better than the 8mp camera, particularly at a higher ISO?  

I ask as I'm considering buying one or the other.  The lens on the LC1 and Leica is reputed to be excellent.  I wonder if it produces better photos than an 8mp A2?  Anyone aware of any such comparisons?   Dan

BJL

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 01:57:36 pm »

I expect it makes a lot of difference whether such comparions are made at equal image size (say A3 prints or "fit to screen" in each case), or at equal pixel pitch (100% on-screen). I recommend the former; the latter is a bit like comparing 35mm to medium format by comparing an 8"x10" from 35mm to a 14"x18" from MF. Printing or viewing at higher pixel density, as is possible with higher pixel counts, reduces the visibility of noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up