Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoKit Sharpener and Local Contrast Enhancement  (Read 3725 times)

petercook80

PhotoKit Sharpener and Local Contrast Enhancement
« on: August 26, 2009, 06:16:21 am »

I am just looking at Photokit Sharpener (running the trial) and in the 'From Camera to Print' (Photokit Sharpener Video) Michael shows us the technique for Local Contrast Enhancement. He Runs this before the PhotoKit Capture Sharpening routine. I would just like some clarification that this is best run in the workflow before the PK Capture Sharpener.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50:08 am »

I suppose this is addressed to Michael, but I have several perspectives on it, so Ill contribute regardless.

1) I haven't done tests to see whether it makes a difference to results whether one Capture sharpens before or aftert doing LCE, BUT that said:

2) regardless of the order in which they are done, one needs to be careful because both processes (and there are variants in how LCE is performed) involve creating halos and if either were overdone in relation to the other, the image can emerge looking too brittle. The way to avoid this, regardless of processing order, is to do each on separate layers (automatic with PK) so that the opacity of each effect can be adjusted to taste.

3) Within Lightroom, you have the option to effectively do both at the same time and let the program sort out the processing order, which it does very well - by that I mean using the Clarity slider and perhaps Vibrance to achieve the effects of LCE, and the capture sharpening in the detail tab. You can (and should) examine the image at 100% to see the total effect, and you can work back and forth between them, leaving LR to optimize the processing order under-the-hood once the image is exported to PS.

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

petercook80

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:41:01 am »

Thanks for the reply Mark,
I am doing the LCE stage on its own duplicate layer so I can fade the result (with opacity). I appreciate that the two could end up overdoing it in some areas and it will take some time and experimentation but Michael and Jeff strongly felt that it would help 'most' images (especially on Matt Paper) to do an LCE.
I just want to check its place in the workflow.
PS: I dont use Lightroom only CS

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:48:06 am »

Peter,

I know it's another few hundred bucks, but "you owe it to yourself" at least to download and try the free demo of Lightroom. I do a very high proportion of my image editing in LR these days. It's truly a brilliant program in many ways.

Mark

petercook80

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:45 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
Peter,

I know it's another few hundred bucks, but "you owe it to yourself" at least to download and try the free demo of Lightroom. I do a very high proportion of my image editing in LR these days. It's truly a brilliant program in many ways.

Mark
Mark, I have heard its a great program but at the moment I also know I just cant afford it, too many other things I need to purchase (like Photokit Sharpener). I get on well with CS and have a good workflow and I dont process a lot of photographs.  One day I will try it but only when I know I can afford to buy it !

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:01:44 am »

Makes sense ! (If only a whole lot more consumers were as level-headed...............)
Pages: [1]   Go Up