Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 20D and usefulness of Filters  (Read 2161 times)

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Canon 20D and usefulness of Filters
« on: July 21, 2005, 10:34:10 pm »

Some use a UV to protect, some don't. I don't (except when using my unsealed 17-40 near water spray). I sure wouldn't invest $ in protecting the 18-55 kit lens.

A polarizer is very useful. You want a circular polarizer. I use B+W multicoated. Another good brand that has reasonable respect is Hoya multicoated. These are relatively expensive (at least half the cost of your 18-55), but they will last forever. Cheap filters give mediocre optical results at best.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:19:42 pm »

Lester, unless you're using a really wide-angle lens (<20mm) or getting splashed with water or abrasive solids while shooting, a lens hood is a much more effective protection device than a UV filter and has zero negative effects on image quality; it actually improves image quality by reducing flare.

Tibor22

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:35:17 pm »

I've always used a UV or Skylight filters on all my lenses going back to the 1960's when I started in photography.

Multi-coated Nikon or Canon filters are available for ~$30 at Adorama or other stores. Not really too much to pay for the peace of mind you get.

cameraGreg

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:54:21 pm »

I'm looking for a general purpose filter that can mainly serve as a lens protector on my 18-55 mm lens, but don't know if it's worth getting.  I was thinking of a skylight or UV Filter.  Any opinions of whether using using such a filter is worthwhile?

I also am considering a polarizer.  What brands do you find to be of high quality for filters?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

lester_wareham

• http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 05:44:51 am »

Some use a UV to protect, some don't. I don't (except when using my unsealed 17-40 near water spray). I sure wouldn't invest $ in protecting the 18-55 kit lens.

A polarizer is very useful. You want a circular polarizer. I use B+W multicoated. Another good brand that has reasonable respect is Hoya multicoated. These are relatively expensive (at least half the cost of your 18-55), but they will last forever. Cheap filters give mediocre optical results at best.
I have always used UV protectors. If I was a pro I would probably not bother as you can just write of the cost of repair and replacement against tax. The lens system I am building up now will have to last until the end of my days I expect.

It has saved damage a few times. Danger areas are:
Walking into something with the lens cap off whilst reframing.
Small kids putting sicky corrosive things all over them when photographing them (the kids not the corrosive things).
Macro work where you may be in close contact with the undergrowth.

If you only do studio work or landscape from a tripod I guess it is less of an issue.

lester_wareham

• http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 10:12:28 am »

Lester, unless you're using a really wide-angle lens (<20mm) or getting splashed with water or abrasive solids while shooting, a lens hood is a much more effective protection device than a UV filter and has zero negative effects on image quality; it actually improves image quality by reducing flare.
Yep, I use lens hoods as well. I guess I am just nervous user (or clumsy), but then my last SLR system lasted 25 years with no damage. I am sure I would have junked at leat two lenses even with lens hoods without replacable filters.

My assumption if the filter is multi-coated it should not degrade things significantly, single coated yes OK.

As I say assumption not test. I would be interested to see some well conducted tests on it if anyone has done them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up