Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well known National Trust Site uses my Photo without Permission  (Read 2389 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel

Not really sure what to do about this - but I just actually received an email from a well known Victorian National trust building and tourist attraction. On the front page of their html email (which went to who knows how many people - probably thousands) is one of my photographs - uncredited and used without my permission.

I have exhibited my work before at this place - but have not ever given them permission to use my photographs in any way.

How should I approach this?

This isnt the first time this sort of thing has happened to me - but it is the first time I have seen a prominent organisation use my work without permission.

You can see the photograph on their webpage as well here: Web Page

Its a straight rendition - but they have added the distressed edge look.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Well known National Trust Site uses my Photo without Permission
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:05:21 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
Not really sure what to do about this - but I just actually received an email from a well known Victorian National trust building and tourist attraction. On the front page of their html email (which went to who knows how many people - probably thousands) is one of my photographs - uncredited and used without my permission.

I have exhibited my work before at this place - but have not ever given them permission to use my photographs in any way.

How should I approach this?

This isnt the first time this sort of thing has happened to me - but it is the first time I have seen a prominent organisation use my work without permission.

You can see the photograph on their webpage as well here: Web Page

Its a straight rendition - but they have added the distressed edge look.

How did they get the image, and if it's one they had of yours like you mentioned, did you read the fine print (if their was any) from the exhibit?

Depends what is important to you?

Money - go demand remuneration?

Credit - go demand some credit?

More work published by them - through that in as well?

Or, just go demand the lot.

Your work, your copyright!

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:08:38 am »

I notice, moreover, that it is an artist community of sorts. And, you are not one them listed....now that's a bit rich!

Josh-H

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:38:12 am »

Quote from: BFoto
I notice, moreover, that it is an artist community of sorts. And, you are not one them listed....now that's a bit rich!

Yeah ... tell me about it..

I have sent them a polite email asking for either the photograph on their website to be appropriately credited and an additional email sent to their mailing list of everyone who received the uncredited email with the appropriate credit and an apology - or payment for use of the photograph as uncredited.

I dont mind which they choose.

I dont think I want to make a huge deal out of it - Its probably just happened because of an overzealous web designer at their end - so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and see if/how they rectify the situation.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:47:44 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:15:43 am »

Quote from: BFoto

Indeed, you would think that they, of all people, would be sensitive to copyright issues. You're approach seems sensible, did you point out that as an artists colony they should set an example by treating artists properly?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:16:12 am by rvanr »

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 03:14:52 am »

I received this afternoon a very apologetic email from the Marketing Director apologizing for the oversight. They have credited the photograph to me on their website, and in the printed material - so I am happy with that since they are a non profit charitable organization.

Mods - you can delete this thread please -  issue resolved.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up