Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MiniUSB L-plug, P1 and tethering to nikons/canons.  (Read 2421 times)

julius0377

MiniUSB L-plug, P1 and tethering to nikons/canons.
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:14:08 pm »

Hi All,

Coming from a P1 tethered to Capture one, I find a couple of things need to be sorted out before I'm completely happy tethering the D3x and 5DmkII.

1. Both the D3x and 5DmkII have MiniUSB, and I get the cable snagged on stuff all the time. Is there a MiniUSB cable with an L-type male plug (of the kind in the picture below)? Perhaps an extension cable of about 15 cm would be ideal. It would take a lot of worrying about breaking the female socket in the camera...

2. The D3x tethers slow compared to the 5DmkII in Capture One, I'd guesstimate about half the speed or worse. I have everything turned off in the Nikon (no image compression and 14 bit raw, and would like to keep it that way) is there something else I can change in the settings to make tethering faster?

3. Will the remote transmitter modules for the Nikon and/or Canon transmit RAW files at any reasonable speed, and will C1 accept the images if they can be routed to the right folder. Or is lightroom with a "hot" folder the way to go for this. If these only work well with .jpgs I'll let the dream of a completely wireless studio sit for a while more...

I'm posting this in the MFDB section as I'm guessing there will be the most C1 users here, as well as general knowledge of tethering (?)

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:44:09 pm »

Quote from: julius0377
2. The D3x tethers slow compared to the 5DmkII in Capture One, I'd guesstimate about half the speed or worse. I have everything turned off in the Nikon (no image compression and 14 bit raw, and would like to keep it that way) is there something else I can change in the settings to make tethering faster?

I don't know about tethering Nikons, though was told by Nikon their own software tethers well.

I do know with Canons I use EOS utllity and DPP and it's a quick learn and very fast with the 1ds3's I own.

Also whatever color adjustments you make in the software can be transfered to the camera.

JR

julius0377

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:02:34 pm »

I'd really prefer using DPP as well, used it a couple of years ago and have always thought it very decent.

The convenience of having the same workflow across all cameras made me choose C1 for now, but perhaps I should rethink and just accept having to close/open software when swapping camera bodies on shoots.

Quote from: James R Russell
I don't know about tethering Nikons, though was told by Nikon their own software tethers well.

I do know with Canons I use EOS utllity and DPP and it's a quick learn and very fast with the 1ds3's I own.

Also whatever color adjustments you make in the software can be transfered to the camera.

JR

gwhitf

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 01:09:17 pm »

Quote from: julius0377
Perhaps an extension cable of about 15 cm would be ideal. It would take a lot of worrying about breaking the female socket in the camera...

I tether most everything with the 5D2. I bought that RRS L-Bracket and mounted it on the Vertical Grip, and I take DuctTape and tape the USB cable to the RRS bracket, with some slack left over, so that the cable cannot be yanked out. It works great.

You can find a video tutorial, (only $19.95), in Chapter Seven of my Duct Tape and Liquid Nails Seminars, coming soon to a city near you.

I'll also introduce my homemade Vertical Grip for the Hasselblad H body.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:10:25 pm by gwhitf »

David McCaughan

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 01:59:25 pm »

Here's a link to here we get our left angled usb cables. Canon takes the left angled ones, can't say for sure about nikon. We use a short one combined with a 16' active usb extension everyday without any problems(sometimes 2 or 3 16'ers). If someone trips on the cable it just breaks away. I use pliers to pinch the connection and provide a little more friction in the socket.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/leftangleminib.html

The wireless is way too slow in my estimation. I would only uses it for testing. On occasion I have used it by testing with JPEGs and only switching to RAW for the final bracket, it depends on how/what you're shooting. I set the custom mode to JPEG and RAW and just toggle back and forth.

julius0377

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:13:35 pm »

Great, just what I was looking for!

Thanks for the tip  

Quote from: David McCaughan
Here's a link to here we get our left angled usb cables. Canon takes the left angled ones, can't say for sure about nikon. We use a short one combined with a 16' active usb extension everyday without any problems(sometimes 2 or 3 16'ers). If someone trips on the cable it just breaks away. I use pliers to pinch the connection and provide a little more friction in the socket.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/leftangleminib.html

The wireless is way too slow in my estimation. I would only uses it for testing. On occasion I have used it by testing with JPEGs and only switching to RAW for the final bracket, it depends on how/what you're shooting. I set the custom mode to JPEG and RAW and just toggle back and forth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up