Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Processing times  (Read 2682 times)

thomasmoran

Z3100 Processing times
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:12:18 pm »

So I must be doing something completely wrong and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've sent a 24x163 inch PSD file to the Z3100 from Lightroom and the front display panel shows that the processing time is now over 300 minutes and its still going up... Can anyone who has printed something this large please chime in with tips on how to reduce process times?? Thanks for your help.

Thomas

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Processing times
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:28:03 pm »

Quote from: thomasmoran
So I must be doing something completely wrong and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've sent a 24x163 inch PSD file to the Z3100 from Lightroom and the front display panel shows that the processing time is now over 300 minutes and its still going up... Can anyone who has printed something this large please chime in with tips on how to reduce process times?? Thanks for your help.

Thomas

A plain Z3100 will not print beyond 109" in length, with some odd exceptions per individual printer. If you also set a print quality/resolution that asks for 600 PPI input or even 1200 PPI input resolution then it will become a long wait for something that will not deliver a usable print in the end. Lightroom will adapt its extrapolation and print sharpening on the expected print resolution too so it may even be the processing in Lightroom that tests your patience.

Printing at that size can be done with the HPGL2 driver that is optional for the Z3100. What is the original resolution of the file you want to print ?  In most cases the image file data will not require a resolution setting that asks for more than 300 PPI input at that print size but there could be an exception.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

thomasmoran

Z3100 Processing times
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
A plain Z3100 will not print beyond 109" in length, with some odd exceptions per individual printer. If you also set a print quality/resolution that asks for 600 PPI input or even 1200 PPI input resolution then it will become a long wait for something that will not deliver a usable print in the end. Lightroom will adapt its extrapolation and print sharpening on the expected print resolution too so it may even be the processing in Lightroom that tests your patience.

Printing at that size can be done with the HPGL2 driver that is optional for the Z3100. What is the original resolution of the file you want to print ?  In most cases the image file data will not require a resolution setting that asks for more than 300 PPI input at that print size but there could be an exception.

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Hi Ernst, thank you for the reply. I'm running a 44 inch z3100ps GP photo. Does this model ship with the HPGL2 print driver that you speak of and if not how much does it cost and where can I purchase it? Thanks again!

Thomas

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Processing times
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:32:26 pm »

Quote from: thomasmoran
Hi Ernst, thank you for the reply. I'm running a 44 inch z3100ps GP photo. Does this model ship with the HPGL2 print driver that you speak of and if not how much does it cost and where can I purchase it? Thanks again!

Thomas

I have no knowledege whether that is the 24"or 44" upgrade but:
HP-GL2/RTL via Q6692A HP-Gl/2 upgradekit voor de HP Designjet Z2100/Z3100 fotoprinter serie

But your's is not a plain Z3100. With the PS3 driver it will have a limit like 129". You can not even set a longer size in the driver, at least not on the Z3200-PS that I have here. So I guess you used the PCL3 driver instead to do the 163". With the PCL3 driver it may print even longer if used on a Z3100-PS model. At least it does on the Z3200-PS, where I didn't see a problem on a 5 meter print from Qimage.

You should test the printer first before purchasing the upgrade. Take a small, low resolution file that can cover a 43.5" x 200" print in its aspect ratio. Load a cheap paper, can be a sheet 44"wide as well but tell the printer it is a roll. Process that file with the quality and resolution of the print settings at a low level. Watch the printer when it starts printing, if it picks the full 43.5" width you know it should be able to print 200"or larger. If it picks just something like 10" wide at the right side you will know it doesn't go beyond 200". Push the cancel button on the printer in both cases. If it doesn't the full width it either has a length limit of 109"or 129" and you will need the HP-GL2 upgrade driver.

Qimage's Poster/Tiles method usable for Epsons and Canons to go beyond the driver length limit can not be used with the HP Z models as they lack a banner mode in the driver.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
Z3100 Processing times
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 09:38:19 am »

the GL2 driver should already be installed...if not:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...mp;swEnvOID=228
Pages: [1]   Go Up