Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf6100 lifespan  (Read 1914 times)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Canon ipf6100 lifespan
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:06:46 am »

I have had my Canon ipf6100 printer for a year and a half, and it has performed faultlessly.  The prints are excellent, and it is fast.  I have lost track of how many 30-metre paper rolls I have used, but probably over 15, plus thousands of A4 and A3 sheets.  I do keep track of the ink usage, and so far have replaced cartridges 39 times.  Most colours have been changed twice, except photo grey, 5 times, and the grey 12 times!

It has become noticeable over recent months that the printer is pausing more often to perform nozzle checks, and frequently these lead to cleaning cycles.  It could be my imagination, but I am sure it is so.

Does this signify that the print heads could be coming to the end of their useful lives?  As I said, the printer has performed faultlessly, and I do not think I have had even one bad print. Ever.  Quite a relief after the Epson 4000 I had before, which came in for much verbal abuse!  But it would be nice to know if I need to start saving for new print heads.

Your thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Jim

Doyle Yoder

Canon ipf6100 lifespan
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:34:56 am »

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
Does this signify that the print heads could be coming to the end of their useful lives?

Yes

Doyle

Jim Pascoe

Canon ipf6100 lifespan
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:45:57 am »

Thank you for the unwelcome news Doyle!

Could you elaborate just a tad if you could spare a few moments?  Have you had direct experience of the ipf printers, or involved in retailing or servicing them?

Many thanks

Jim

Doyle Yoder

Canon ipf6100 lifespan
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45:17 am »

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
Thank you for the unwelcome news Doyle!

Could you elaborate just a tad if you could spare a few moments?  Have you had direct experience of the ipf printers, or involved in retailing or servicing them?

Many thanks

Jim

I have done over 62,000 pages with my iPF9000. At around 32,000 pages the first set of print heads needed to be replaced. The new PF-3 head are supposed to last longer so I have not had to replace the second set yet. But yes in answer to your question as the heads wear with age they do require more cleaning. I have noticed that the second set of heads are now beginning to run more cleaning cycles.

Doyle

Jim Pascoe

Canon ipf6100 lifespan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:09:34 am »

Doyle

Many thanks for the clarification!  I guess everything wears out eventually, at least the Canon appears to be going well while it is working.

Regards

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up