Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Alpha 900 and Monopod  (Read 3303 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Sony Alpha 900 and Monopod
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:39 am »

I read Michael's review on the A900 camera. He noted you had to turn stabilization to "OFF" when using a tripod. I rarely use a tripod, but use a monopod often. Has anyone tried using a monopod with the in-camera stabilization (anti-shake) turned on? Does it work?

Off Topic: I have 5 beautiful M42 screw mount Takumars. Has anyone here experimented with these lenses on their A900 via chipped adapters? The Takumars I have are 24mm f3.5, 28mm f3.5, and 50mm f1.4. I also have the very first "Auto Takumars" issued. e.g. the huge 35mm f2.3 retro focus, and 105mm f2.8.

Thanks in advance  
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:35:41 am »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
I read Michael's review on the A900 camera. He noted you had to turn stabilization to "OFF" when using a tripod. I rarely use a tripod, but use a monopod often. Has anyone tried using a monopod with the in-camera stabilization (anti-shake) turned on? Does it work?

Off Topic: I have 5 beautiful M42 screw mount Takumars. Has anyone here experimented with these lenses on their A900 via chipped adapters? The Takumars I have are 24mm f3.5, 28mm f3.5, and 50mm f1.4. I also have the very first "Auto Takumars" issued. e.g. the huge 35mm f2.3 retro focus, and 105mm f2.8.

Thanks in advance  
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
www.modernpictorials.com
My experience has been with Canon DSLR's, but i believe it would be the same whether the image stabilization is in the camera or the lens.  The use of a monopod still results in enough movement for the lens or camera to detect, allowing the stabilization to function properly.  A decent tripod prevents the kind of motion that the stabilization sensor looks for, resulting in the stabilization mechanism  seeking a signal much in the way an autofocus lens will seek focus in a low contrast scene.

If you have doubts, the easiest way to resolve them is to shoot the same scene using the monopod with and without the stabilization turned on, for, say, 10 trials of each.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:44:35 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
My experience has been with Canon DSLR's, but i believe it would be the same whether the image stabilization is in the camera or the lens.  The use of a monopod still results in enough movement for the lens or camera to detect, allowing the stabilization to function properly.  A decent tripod prevents the kind of motion that the stabilization sensor looks for, resulting in the stabilization mechanism  seeking a signal much in the way an autofocus lens will seek focus in a low contrast scene.

If you have doubts, the easiest way to resolve them is to shoot the same scene using the monopod with and without the stabilization turned on, for, say, 10 trials of each.
Thanks Walter. I have Canon equipment, and regularly use a monopod with the 24~105 IS lens. I did not know if Sony's  In-Camera Stabilaztion would work the same.
Dave

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:35:26 am »

Don't know about the A900, but I've run the 10 shot test with a KM5D and A700 with a 400 mm lens at 1/125th sec on a monopod.

Keeper rate with SSS on is much higher for both cameras, but the worst between the two series are equally bad, so my advice is to take multiple shots because there is no guarantee it will work fully all the time.
pieter, aka pegelli

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:17:49 am »

Good advice -- did not think of that.
Thanks
Dave

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:17:38 am »

Dave, just noticed your question on M42 lenses.

Allthough I do not have any of the very nice Takumars you mention   I use some other brand M42's via chipped adapters that I bought from James Lao T. They work very well on my KM5D but on my A700 it seems there is a slight incompatibility in clock speed with the ROM chip in my adapters that sometimes the chipped adapter doesn't get recognised when you take off one and remount or mount another lens with a chipped adapter. Cure is to mount a normal Minolta or Sony AF lens inbetween as it never fails the first time a lens is mounted after a normal AF lens. Might very well be the problem is fixed now as the A700 was just released when I bought my adapters. Don't know anything how it would work with the A900, but for the A900 getting chipped adapters is much more important, as non chipped adapters will only work in Manual mode (like the A200/300/350). The older bodies (KM 5d/7d, A100 and A700) also work with unchipped adapters in A-priority mode, which is much more convenient.
I find having effective SSS and focus confirm with a chipped adapter makes M42 lenses a whole lot better to use

There is a very elaborate thread on Dyxum dealing with chipped adapters here.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:19:13 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:19:30 pm »

Quote from: pegelli
Dave, just noticed your question on M42 lenses.

Allthough I do not have any of the very nice Takumars you mention   I use some other brand M42's via chipped adapters that I bought from James Lao T. They work very well on my KM5D but on my A700 it seems there is a slight incompatibility in clock speed with the ROM chip in my adapters that sometimes the chipped adapter doesn't get recognised when you take off one and remount or mount another lens with a chipped adapter. Cure is to mount a normal Minolta or Sony AF lens inbetween as it never fails the first time a lens is mounted after a normal AF lens. Might very well be the problem is fixed now as the A700 was just released when I bought my adapters. Don't know anything how it would work with the A900, but for the A900 getting chipped adapters is much more important, as non chipped adapters will only work in Manual mode (like the A200/300/350). The older bodies (KM 5d/7d, A100 and A700) also work with unchipped adapters in A-priority mode, which is much more convenient.
I find having effective SSS and focus confirm with a chipped adapter makes M42 lenses a whole lot better to use

There is a very elaborate thread on Dyxum dealing with chipped adapters here.

Hope this helps.
It certainly does help; thanks. I  do not have an Alpha 900, (I use a 1DS III) but  there is one in my future. I purchased the chipped adapter that you mentioned, and it is pre-programmed for 4 of my lenses.
Thanks again
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up