Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening tiffs in PS4  (Read 2764 times)

KeithR

Opening tiffs in PS4
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:45:20 am »

I recently installed the updated the Camera Raw 5.4 and now I'm having trouble opening tiffs through Bridge. So far this only appiles to opening through Bridge. Before this update, I had no problem opening tiffs into PSCS4. After the update, everytime I open a tiff file it opens in a Quicktime Picture viewer in sRGB(I work in ProPhoto RGB) and not in CS4, and I get a pop-up asking me if I want to update to Quicktime Pro! I would not have ever opted for this and didn't see any option when I installed the update. The most frustrating thing is I can't figure out how I can get rid this. I have checked preferences for both CS4 and Bridge and don't see where I can change this. Any ideas?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Farmer

Opening tiffs in PS4
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:16:23 am »

Quote from: KeithR
I recently installed the updated the Camera Raw 5.4 and now I'm having trouble opening tiffs through Bridge. So far this only appiles to opening through Bridge. Before this update, I had no problem opening tiffs into PSCS4. After the update, everytime I open a tiff file it opens in a Quicktime Picture viewer in sRGB(I work in ProPhoto RGB) and not in CS4, and I get a pop-up asking me if I want to update to Quicktime Pro! I would not have ever opted for this and didn't see any option when I installed the update. The most frustrating thing is I can't figure out how I can get rid this. I have checked preferences for both CS4 and Bridge and don't see where I can change this. Any ideas?

Frankly, it sounds like a QT Pro issue.  Open up those preferences and de-select TIFF from the range of files it opens, perhaps?  Are you using PC or Mac?  On a PC, the next time you try to open a TIFF it should prompt (with QT having been removed).  You'll need advice from a Macxpert on how it works on them.
Phil Brown

KeithR

Opening tiffs in PS4
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:32:39 am »

Quote from: Farmer
Frankly, it sounds like a QT Pro issue.  Open up those preferences and de-select TIFF from the range of files it opens, perhaps?  Are you using PC or Mac?  On a PC, the next time you try to open a TIFF it should prompt (with QT having been removed).  You'll need advice from a Macxpert on how it works on them.
I'm on a PC and I don't have QT pro, just Quicktime player, the download freebe.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:37:25 am by KeithR »

Pete_G

Opening tiffs in PS4
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:19:44 am »

I'm on a PC and I don't have QT pro, just Quicktime player, the download freebe.

It's still probably a QT issue though, it's stolen the file association.

If you have Windows XP go:

Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types

Select the file extension .tif from the big list, you'll probably see Quicktime associated with this extension, click on Change and choose Photoshop instead.

In Vista it's different:

Method #1 (on the fly):

1. Right-click a file of the type you want to change, and select Properties.
   2. In the General tab, click the Change button.
   3. Choose a program from the list, or click Browse to select an .EXE file on your hard disk.

Method #2 (view a list of file types):

1. Open Control Panel.
   2. In Control Panel Home, click Programs, and then click Make a file type always open in a specific program.

Or, in the Classic View, open Default Programs and then click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
   3. Highlight a file type in the list and click Change Program.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Opening tiffs in PS4
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:20:31 am »

This is a Windows problem, but it was put there by QuickTime when you installed it.

Here is the way to fix it on Vista (XP will be somewhat similar): Click on Start>Settings>Control Panel and choose "Default Programs." Then choose "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." After a bit of waiting, Vista will display an alphabetical list of file extensions. Scroll down to find both ".tif" and ".tiff" One or both probably list "Quick Time Player" as the "Current Default." Click on one that does to highlight it and click the "Change Program" button near the top right. You should see Adobe Photoshop and a bunch of other programs listed as "suggested." If you really want Bridge instead of Photoshop, you may need to click the "browse" button and go into the Adobe folder, and then into the Bridge folder to find and highlight "bridge.exe". Then click on all the "OK" buttons to back out. 

Repeat this with the other extension if needed.

It's a pain, but many programs steal the default settings for certain file extensions when they install. QuickTime is one of the worst offenders about doing that without asking permission.

I hope this helps.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KeithR

Opening tiffs in PS4
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »

Quote from: EricM
This is a Windows problem, but it was put there by QuickTime when you installed it.

Here is the way to fix it on Vista (XP will be somewhat similar): Click on Start>Settings>Control Panel and choose "Default Programs." Then choose "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." After a bit of waiting, Vista will display an alphabetical list of file extensions. Scroll down to find both ".tif" and ".tiff" One or both probably list "Quick Time Player" as the "Current Default." Click on one that does to highlight it and click the "Change Program" button near the top right. You should see Adobe Photoshop and a bunch of other programs listed as "suggested." If you really want Bridge instead of Photoshop, you may need to click the "browse" button and go into the Adobe folder, and then into the Bridge folder to find and highlight "bridge.exe". Then click on all the "OK" buttons to back out. 

Repeat this with the other extension if needed.

It's a pain, but many programs steal the default settings for certain file extensions when they install. QuickTime is one of the worst offenders about doing that without asking permission.

I hope this helps.
It does, Thank you!
I followed your directions and also noted that jpegs were also affected so I changed them as well. I don't often work with jpegs, but on the occasion I do, I'd still like to have them open in my primary editor!. The jpegs were tied to a COM(surragote) as the default. Never heard of that before!
Pages: [1]   Go Up